iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Owners with remote operators station Q's for you

Started by Gilman, August 15, 2006, 08:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

I'm looking to talk with someone that has a LT70 with the remote operator's station.  I'm curious how you have your mill setup and where you locate the controller.

Thanks,

David
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Gilman

24 hours and now response? ???

Did I sump the FF?  8)

gmmills

Gilman,

I operate mine from the hitch end just like when I had my LT 40.   I saw hardwood grade and the boards come right back by me. A quick flip of he board is all I need to determine the grade of the board and when I need to stop sawing on that face and turn to a better one.  Another factor to take into consideration is how many bodies do you have to help. If you are operating the mill from the hitch end you can also feed an edger while the saw is making another cut. Add one more body to the operation if you are going too saw from the back end, sawing toward you.  It took me a few days to get used to looking through the dragback fingers.  Now it's like they are not even there.

Hopefully Percy will chime in on this one. He has got his production flow really efficient. 
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Gilman

Thanks GM,
I look forward to Percy's post too.  Hint, Hint

Cathy was nice enough to pull green chain for me to try out running the mill from the tail of the trailer.  Boy were the controls backwards.   :o

Minnesota_boy

I ran Percy's mill last summer for about a half-hour.  I found the controls to be Dang confusing, but I could see why he runs it that way.  You see, Percy's mill is part of a system.  It has an outfeed table with rollers and a sorting area for peices to be edged on his edger or to be sent on to a collection area to be moved with his Bobcat to where they are to be stacked or to load for the customer.  He also had the advantage of seeing just where the blade would enter and how the log looked from the "other" end.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Percy

Quote from: Gilman on August 17, 2006, 08:47:51 PM
Thanks GM,
I look forward to Percy's post too.  Hint, Hint

Cathy was nice enough to pull green chain for me to try out running the mill from the tail of the trailer.  Boy were the controls backwards.   :o

aaaa...heh....sorry, been busy/away/yadda. ;D ;D

Anyhow, bein a pollack and all, I operate it from the "wrong end". It cuts toward me. I tried like Gary  but I was so concerned about not bein able to see the uprites(outfeed table wont let me see them), that the dragback/ hangie down/keep the board strait/ thingie kept hitting me in the head  :o. Ive tried several different methods from the "right " end but always go back to the "wrong" end. Ive wired every switch (cept the Back n forth drum switch) to operate in a non confusing maner.

I dont think there is a right or wrong way of setting up an LT70. Just find what works for you. The reason I chose the way I have, is because  the dragback system/outfeed table is the most productive way I found to do things. If you aint cutting, you aint makin boards, and if you aint makin boards, you aint makin money. With this system, three of us can cut 5-6000 board feet of larger spruce timbers a day(8x8, 6x12,8x12 etc). The highest production day so far has been near 7300 bd ft.

When the photo thing is outta the shop :D Ill post some pics.

Later
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

VA-Sawyer

How about a sketch of your layout Percy ?  I'm always looking for better ideas on setting my place up.

Percy

Quote from: VA-Sawyer on August 19, 2006, 06:05:40 PM
How about a sketch of your layout Percy ?  I'm always looking for better ideas on setting my place up.
Here is  a post from way back that decribes what I basically still use today...
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10763.0

Hope this helps... Later
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!