iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pros and cons for the woodmizer vk- 1000

Started by boardwalker, August 13, 2006, 08:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boardwalker

I am very interested in any information that I can get on woodmizers vaccum kilns. Den I would love to own one of your kilns, but at this point spending that kind of money is out of the question. I know a guy here in my area that owns one and make alot of flooring. He says that once you learn how to use it they work great. On the other hand I have heard that they were more trouble than anything.

I want to be able to dry 8/4 and 12/4 walnut and hedge and other spieces, but I don't want to have 2 to 3 months tied up in a kiln load. I was hoping to be able to start small and then if things work out get a better vaccum kiln.

Any information would be appreciated.

Craig
Lucas 8", Laguna CL1200 copy lathe

Ron Wenrich

I run the 2000 bf model a number of years ago.  The biggest problem I had was the 24' length.  I was drying 16' lumber, and the excess area was a pain.  So, we made some adjustments where we could dry 16' lengths.

I dried mainly 8/4 pine and tulip poplar.  These were mainly for pattern shops.  This stuff turned out pretty good.  I also dried some 4/4 red oak with just so-so results. 

The problems we had were mainly with maintaining a vacuum.  It was either in the pump, the seals, or the computer.  Loading and unloading is by the armstrong method and takes a lot of time. 

I stopped running it due to a management problem.  I was still learning.  I'm not sure I would give a hearty recommendation.  Price would be a major consideration.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Den Socling

The WM VK's are loaded with problems but can be made to work if the operator is willing to study the problems. I understand that many can't afford our kilns and I am always here to help those who have to work with less.

Thank You Sponsors!