iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poll, TV commertials.

Started by Bibbyman, August 11, 2006, 08:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Don't you just hate TV commercials?  Yes,  some are entertaining.  But most are just annoying.

I can hardly think of a time when I've watched a TV commercial where I've knowingly went out and bought anything based on seeing it.  In fact,  I can say I'm more likely NOT to buy something based on an annoying TV commercial. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Beweller

Beweller

Jeff

WHat if ya love commertials?  ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

getoverit

*some* of them are entertaining the first time you see them, but after months on end of the same thing over and over it gets annoying. I hope I never see a gecko in person... I fear for his well being.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Dan_Shade

i want to be bob, he has a good looking wife, he's always in a good mood, and he's the envy of the neighborhood.

but I haven't bought any of the wares he totes.....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

Support PBS and it will be one less thing to worry about. ;)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

What impresses me the most about many commercials, is how dumb the actors 'act'. Apparently the ad agencies have figured that dumb 'sells' (or 'sales' as some say).

Not since the Hamm's beer bears have I enjoyed watching commercials, and that been a few yar fur sur.  :)
Biggest percentage of the time I hit the mute button and often just leave it muted while I do something else, like be on FF (more fun).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

The last time I really enjoyed commercials was VW's self-deprecating commercials in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Bibbyman

I think the last commercials I was the least be impressed by were done by Lee Iacocca back when he was pulling Chrysler out of the dumps.

I think I've heard that McDonald's was credited for making the first commercials that actually sold you a "feeling" rather than the product.  "You deserve a break today." was what they were pitching.  They didn't say anything about the quality of their product or service.  The only time I'll stop at a McDonald's is to let Mary go to the bathroom. 
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

It bugs me to have to deal with commercials when I am paying a monthly fee for the programing anyhow. >:(
Bill

PineNut

The more annoying the commercial, the quicker the zap button on the remote gets actuated.

Bibbyman

Quote from: WH_Conley on August 11, 2006, 11:21:04 PM
It bugs me to have to deal with commercials when I am paying a monthly fee for the programing anyhow. >:(

Oh yea.  And it's 2:08 am and if I go to my Dish TV and go through the 180 channels that I pay for I'll see "Paid Programming" on more than half.  That really chaps my cheeks!

And.. how about those "But wait! If you call now we'll double your order" (for some junk you don't need and just charge you double shipping and handling that is outrageous in the first place.) ?  >:(

Sawing since '94

Ianab

We have our own realllllly annoying adverts here in NZ too.
Sure they raise the 'brand awareness'.. I'm aware of them and avoid them like the plague  >:(
There have been some total gems tho.  Toyota did an advert for their Hilux Utes that only had one work in the script.. I probably cant tell you what it is without sending myself to the woodshed... suffice to say even some Aussies were offended  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cedarman

I have this genetic quirk that I can tune out any commercial within a few seconds. I simply think about something else, read, or talk to someone nearby.  It is so good, that I sometimes don't get back to the program I am watching.  I hope I can pass this genetic trait on to my children.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

thecfarm

I watch very little TV,especially when there is no snow on the ground.People at work use to try to talk about a commercial or some program and I would have no idea what they mean. But,I do watch alot of movies.We rent alot of movies from Netflix.This is what we do when it starts to get dark out or snow on the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Oh yea...  I left out Kirstie Alley's Jenny Craig commercials.

What a case of when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.  She gains a lot of weight and killed her acting career so see uses it to make diet commercials.

But Kirstie,  give us a break.  Please loose another 60-100 lbs before you start strutting your stuff.  ::)
Sawing since '94

tcsmpsi

Lots of things you can do with me, to me and yes, even for me.

But, don't lie to me.

Those folks on those commercials....looking right at me and lying like road sausage.
And, think I'm stupid enough to believe that they have ever slept on a sleep member bed in their whole dadgum life.

But, the evolution of commercials...now  that has been quite the social exclamation.

Obviously, gotta have a drug before you can smile...even if it does bring on liver failure.  

Yeah buddy, we've become quite civilized since the call came for Phillip Morris.

I reckon it was inevitable from the day the Playtex Living Bra made its debut suspended in mid air and caused an audible gasp across the nation.  :o
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Norm

It's as simple as investing in a Tivo or any other dvr recorder. No commercials ever again if you plan ahead.

The one that gets me is antiques roadshow, they get an insurance company for a sponser and all of a sudden every appraisal comes with an insured value. If I never see a painting that looks like a kindegartner did it appraise for 50K again it'll be too soon. :D

metalspinner

Commercials!  8) 8) 8)  They pay the bills around here!   8) 8) 8)

I never actually watch them,but... 8) 8) 8)

The ones I don't like the most have that stupid jingle that I can't get out my head the rest of the day. >:(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

I understand commercials paying the bills.  I don't understand commercials being used on a venue where the viewer has payed for the access.

It's like having to buy a ticket to go into Wally World so that you can buy a pair of shoes.

If Home Depot charged to go into the door, I'll bet they would have less floor traffic.

Wal-Mart's Sam's club charges for membership.  That is getting real close to buying a ticket at the door.  I'm sure they laugh all the way to the bank to have the public paying to shop.

Cable TV has shows with no interrupting ads like commercial TV has.  But, the sale of the air-time to infomercials is certainly aggravating, isn't it?   

I wish I could come up with an invoice to send to the cable company billing them for my time to watch their sales pitches.  At the least, it would allow me to recapture the cable bill.

Speaking of that, I have always wanted to be able to charge tele-marketers for calling the house.  When the phone company came up with the 900 number, I thought I had found the answer.  If they can automatically charge for a 900 call, why couldn't they charge for any other call.  If they were to give the homeowner a code to punch into the phone, a bill could be issued to the caller on the line.   Let's see,  what would my time be worth...  ? :D

SwampDonkey

I liked the 70's commercials from McDonalds the most when I was a kid. I think it was at a time when Burger King was expanding it's horizons. But, I can remember the muppet-like creatures such as Grimace, and that purple burger eatin fella, from which Grimace would steel all the fries. ;D Now, they were fun commercials. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I hit the mute during most commercials the few times I watch tv. Some of the beer ads are quite entertaining although the novelty fades after seeing the same one four times during a football game.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

THe SCi_Fi channel had to be the worst for commercials. Watching a 45 minute Star Trek episode turned into 1.5 hours.  That's painful. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thurlow

I just (mentally) tune out most commercials;  however, one that irritates me no end is for some foreign car.  Fellow is leaving for work, kisses his wife goodby at door, takes a few steps and parachutes down to his car from the mountain where he lives.  Well, just how in the hail does he get back up there each evening?  Don't know who is the most stupid;  the people who write such crap or us for watching it.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Thank You Sponsors!