iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prepare to Launch!

Started by Riles, August 10, 2006, 05:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riles

The most impressive thing I saw at Forestry summer camp was how they unload wood chips from the truck. With the right booster, we could probably hit Michigan from here.

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

firecord

Hey Riles
I was looking at your gallery and saw this,

What part of the Ark-La-Tex you from?

It don't snow here!

Jeff

When Jeremy was a little tyke we road up to GP with one of our chip vans.  The Driver (Mike) jumped out one side of the truck after backing on to the dump, and Jeremy and I started to get out the other side. Mike didnt tell the dump operator that we wer  there and he had that dump 15 feet in the air before Mike hollered at him that I was hanging onto the truck door handle and Jeremy had been knocked back into the sleeper. That was one unhappy operator.  I used to have a photo of a collapsed dump but can't find it right now. The truck didnt survive.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

As Marcel pointed out a few days ago in the 'Timber Harvest' thread, you can see this operation at most pulp mills with chip vans. I had commented over there about why we didn't have a photo earlier. There's pulp mills all over the east as everyone knows.

I to have heard of the odd truck not doing so good and even the odd passenger in a sleeper getting a rude awakening when the driver forgot to wake up the guy/gal in the back bunk. Whomp!! Smuck!! 'This matress sure got firm all the sudden.' ;)  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: firecord on August 10, 2006, 06:14:07 PM
Hey Riles
I was looking at your gallery and saw this,
What part of the Ark-La-Tex you from?

It don't snow here!

Looks like QuebecNewf's kneck of the woods up on Harrington Bay in NE Quebec.  ;D sail_smiley splitwood_smiley fire_smiley

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riles

Yep, I was helping him post a couple of pics.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Quartlow

Don't leave the truck running either. Gets a little hard on it when the oild runs all the way to the back.

When I hauled demolition debris to the land fill they dumped the containers this way, only we unhooked first. See that little safety bar across the top? It won't stop a container when they start banging it to loosen the debris. They flopped a forty footer right over backwards. Onto the excavator  :o
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

KGNC

They use the same setup to dump potatos at a chip factory I visited a few years ago.
Don't think they had to tilt so high to get all the spuds out though.

highpockets

Dumping chips is about as hard as pushing a chain. Several years ago someone turned a chip truck over near my home. I took the backhoe and a 16' trailer over to gather up a few loads.  My thinking was when I got home with the load I'd use Bertha (if you don't know Bertha look at my photos) to lift the trailer tonque and dump the load.  I got it 14' high but the chips stayed. Finally I had to go get the backhoe and drag them off the trailer.  A big mess.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

SwampDonkey

It would be even worst if the chips were wet in hot weather in one of those vans for awhile and the fungus started working and growing in the pile.  :o

Tom

Walking trailers are used around Jacksonville.  They seem to work OK.

sawguy21

That system does not work worth a darn when the chips are frozen. ;D I was riding shotgun on a trip to a rail dump north of Wenatchee. Fortunately, they only put the trailer on the lift as the beating on the tractor would have left us walking home.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

asy

Gotta say.

The theory of that elevated truck thing is impressive, but, even MORE impressive is the first guy who actually allowed his truck to be put ON that thing.

Also, they should charge $20 a pop to high school kids for a ride in the truck! hehe

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!