iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insurance Companies - Liability

Started by Rocky Mt. Loggers, August 10, 2006, 02:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky Mt. Loggers

Looking for a liability Insurance company for the Colorado area.  Staring a business mainly doing homeowner work cutting and removing beetle kill. Any help would be appreciated. The only sponsor here doesn't cover CO. Thanks.

Craig

Greetings,

I think your best option would be talk to some other companies in your area that do similar work and see who they use. Also you could contact an insurance agency that deals with agriculture customers.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

Gary_C

Insurance companies are state regulated, so each state can be different. As Craig said, look for local logging contractors or logging associations and find out who they recommend.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Topper

Just look for  a full service agency and let them see what they can offer.  Most independant companies write policies for several companies and will find you the best fit.  I am not in the tree business, but I am a general contractor.  A good agent is important for a lot of reasons.  You may want to check with american family.  When I was just starting out and had not empoyees, they had a great small business policy, but I have no idea about tree work coverage.  You may also need to consider a work comp policy.  I realize that it is only yourself, but you may find some people want to see a work comp policy, plus it will give you some coverage if you have someone helping you get hurt.  Because I do commercial work and because of city license requirements, I had to have work comp even when I did not have employees.  I exclude myself because I have separate medical coverage.  In my case the state sets the rate includeing the minimum work comp policy.  I think it used to run $750.00 a year.  Now I spend 10K a year, I sure miss that $750.00 policy. :D

Good Luck

Jim

Ed_K

When you find a company willing to write a policy, sit down with the rep. and go thru the whole contract. I just found out that a lot of the things I thought to be covered aren't. The 9-11 terrist part of a policy cut a lot of coverage. I had fire coverage, but 9-11 changed that and now they want an extra 5gs to add it back. I'm p_  >:(.
Ed K

MDP

There is a Colorado timber industries association, they may be able to offer insurance for your company or at least send you in the right direction. They have a web site, don't recall the address but easy to find with a quick search. Good luck, Mark

spencerhenry

american family doesnt write it, just checked yesterday. i am in the same boat, used to frame houses and was paying $2500/year including all my machinery. since the first of the year i quit framing houses, taking some time off, have had my insurance agent trying to find something for tree removal, and wood products, most of the plans he has found me so far want over $2500 just to cover my machines, and then add for the liability. i am interested to find out what you discover, right now thought not doing any jobs, i am uninsured.

Thank You Sponsors!