iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar 9010 or 7900 good for ripping?

Started by Bavarian in Brazil, August 10, 2006, 02:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavarian in Brazil

Would the Dolmars 9010 or 7900 be good saws to use for ripping on a Logosol Mill?

Can I use Stihl or Husqvarna bars on them?

ComputerUser

The 9010 is far and away the better choice, it has a lot more torque in reserve compared to the 7900.  The 9010 really benefits from muffler modification, too.

I think that 90cc is the absolute minimum for milling anything with any hope of getting the work done quickly, and if you're into larger hardwood then 100cc+ is required.  I know that a lot of guys try to do it with smaller saws, but it is really just asking too much from the saw in my opinion.  You should figure on Stihl 660/Husqvarna 395/Dolmar 9010 to be the minimum saw to look for for milling.  Stihl 880/Husqvara 3120 would be better choices for use in a supported mill, if funds permit.

The Dolmar 9010 and 7900 both use standard large Husqvarna bars.

Below are some pictures of a Husqvarna 395 in some pine from last weekend, running a 44" bar with .404 ripping chain.  Though this was enough saw for the job, it certainly wasn't "too much" saw, even in this soft pine.  A 7900 would not have been up to the task of pulling that much bar and chain.  Period.

[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/e113/michiganpowerequipment/Mark_Milling.jpg[/img]

The results:

[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/i212/michiganpowerequipment2/GTG_10Small.jpg[/img]

[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/i212/michiganpowerequipment2/GTG_11Small.jpg[/img]

Bavarian in Brazil

Wow! that is one heavy duty chainsaw mill you got there!

Thanks for you reply.

So do you think the 9010 is comparable to the Stihl 066 or Husqvarna 395?

I only tested the 9010 quickly at a fair and really liked its feel. However, comparing manufacturers numbers it would have a bit less horsepower than the other two.

Unfortunately the 088 or the 3120 are not being sold in Brazil.

Ianab

I agree, the 9010 would be the better saw for milling.

I've got a 7900, I chose that over the 9010 because of the weight for normal cutting use. But for milling the extra torque of the bigger saw would win out, and the weight isn't such an issue.

Cheers

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ComputerUser

Quote from: Bavarian in Brazil on August 10, 2006, 05:25:06 PM
Wow! that is one heavy duty chainsaw mill you got there!

Thanks for you reply.

So do you think the 9010 is comparable to the Stihl 066 or Husqvarna 395?

I only tested the 9010 quickly at a fair and really liked its feel. However, comparing manufacturers numbers it would have a bit less horsepower than the other two.

Unfortunately the 088 or the 3120 are not being sold in Brazil.

No 088 or 3120 in Brazil?!  Of all the places in the world I'd think that they'd be available there.

The mill isn't mine, it belongs to the guy who is running it in the picture.  We had a little get-together at his place last weekend with some of the guys from arborist_remove_site.com - chainsaw racing, milling, carving, and some dirtbike jumping.  It is a heck of a mill, though, much easier to use and more productive than a Granberg Alaskan Mill or GB mill - those things tire you out!

From what I have heard, having not run a 9010, it is in the league with the 660 and 395, but probably not the fastest of the three in a crosscutting situation.  But frankly, the differences between the three in a milling application should be negligible.  If price and dealer support are good for Dolmar products in your area, you would not be making a bad choice with the 9010.  Do consider opening the muffler up a bit, all the guys who have done so with theirs (and the equivilent Solo 694, I think it is) feel that it perks the saw up substantially, getting it a lot closer to a well-tuned 066.

Bavarian in Brazil

How is that muffler modification being done?

Would it compromise the saws life a lot?

Ianab

General idea is that you enlarge the exhaust hole of the muffler. Remove the muffler or the exhaust plate part of it (Depends on the design) and have at it with drills, files, dremel tool or whatever. Enlarge or make an extra hole so the exhaust outlet is about the same size as the inlet to the muffler. If you make it too big you will loose the back pressure effect of the muffler and performance will drop.
The exhaust design on the new saws is a compromise, by restricting the muffler the saws are quieter and burn more cleanly. But they produce less power and run hotter. I think modern saws have been restricted mostly for OSH and EPA regulations.
A small mod to the muffler wont hurt the saw, and in fact may increase it's life as it will run a bit cooler. And just get a better grade of earmuffs  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ComputerUser

Quote from: Bavarian in Brazil on August 11, 2006, 04:07:39 PM

Assuming that you re-tune the saw to compensate for the reduced backpressure - richen it up, even if that means removing or grinding off the carb limiter caps - then you will have a saw that will likely have a longer and happier life, since it can breathe better and evacuate hot exhaust away from the engine faster.  Around here, in the USA, restrictions on mufflers are primarily a function of government regulatory issues - pollution, noise, etc.  By way of an example, early Stihl 066s had 7.8hp with a dual-port muffler that actually breathes, current ones have 7.1hp and a muffler with a single hole that is about 3/8 of an inch.  If you put the older muffler and cover on, you're right back up to 7.8hp.  Muffler modifications on current-vintage saws simply make up for what was taken away and get the saw back to its full potential.

Here's the muffler on my 7900 Dolmar:

[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/e113/michiganpowerequipment/resized_Hoffmanized_2.jpg[/img]

[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/e113/michiganpowerequipment/resized_Hoffmanized_4.jpg[/img]

I don't have a picture of the stock muffler, but it didn't have the front port and the stock outlet underneath the side port (up by the chainbrake) was not originally as large as the screen that covers it.  And the black paint looks nice, too.  This modification made a huge difference in performance and the saw runs better now than it did before!

rahtreelimbs

Quote from: ComputerUser on August 12, 2006, 07:42:51 PM
Quote from: Bavarian in Brazil on August 11, 2006, 04:07:39 PM

Assuming that you re-tune the saw to compensate for the reduced backpressure - richen it up, even if that means removing or grinding off the carb limiter caps - then you will have a saw that will likely have a longer and happier life, since it can breathe better and evacuate hot exhaust away from the engine faster.  Around here, in the USA, restrictions on mufflers are primarily a function of government regulatory issues - pollution, noise, etc.  By way of an example, early Stihl 066s had 7.8hp with a dual-port muffler that actually breathes, current ones have 7.1hp and a muffler with a single hole that is about 3/8 of an inch.  If you put the older muffler and cover on, you're right back up to 7.8hp.  Muffler modifications on current-vintage saws simply make up for what was taken away and get the saw back to its full potential.

Here's the muffler on my 7900 Dolmar:

[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/e113/michiganpowerequipment/resized_Hoffmanized_2.jpg[/img]

[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/e113/michiganpowerequipment/resized_Hoffmanized_4.jpg[/img]

I don't have a picture of the stock muffler, but it didn't have the front port and the stock outlet underneath the side port (up by the chainbrake) was not originally as large as the screen that covers it.  And the black paint looks nice, too.  This modification made a huge difference in performance and the saw runs better now than it did before!

Boy that looks familiar....who did that muffler??? ;D ;D ;D
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

ComputerUser

Quote from: rahtreelimbs on August 13, 2006, 07:20:11 PMBoy that looks familiar....who did that muffler??? ;D ;D ;D

Gee, lemme think...yeah, I remember now.

It is working quite well and I remain very pleased.  Best looking setup on a Dolmar I've seen.  Thanks!!  Hope all is well with you and yours!

JD_Kid

Hi ya
I have a 9010 dolmar  with a 36 inch bar on it and also  a 24 inch bar for it  (yea tad small but long story )  anyhow  i have had a good run with it  only thing i have had probs with were the decompresser  come out   just p!$$ poor PD done  and also  have had it  chew though 2 fuel lines   now i know others will say fuell etc etc will have made this happen  but i have other dolmars with the same fuel lines and no probs  ..if ya look at the line  just before the carb ya will see a sharp bend in the hose  watch that area  the ribs on the hose  tend to bind and over strech the back side of the hose   just a trap for young players   to watch for .. apart from that i have found it a good saw  can't compare it with others due to not haveing used them ...mine was on a log locast  peterson sawmill  and done a lot of work  at full noise  day in day out   hope that helps
catch ya
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Thank You Sponsors!