iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

creosote fence posts

Started by Dana, August 10, 2006, 09:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I am looking to purchase a large number or creosote fence post. I am having a difficult time finding a producer or distributor of such. Anyone know of a distributor  in their area?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

beenthere

I believe there is a big creosote treater just East of LaCrosse, WI. Name escapes me at the moment.

The name is Webster Industries, at Bangor, WI
Number is 1-800-284-2173
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riles

Not sure about shipping from Louisiana, but we just visited Mid-States Wood Preservers in Simsboro. Company's owned by Bert Jones (the football player). He doesn't do creosote, but uses copper azole. "Wolmanize" is the process. I think he said he ships nationwide.

The contact number I have is for Gerry Brucia, 318-247-3741
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Sunfield Hardwood

Hi Dana, I live between Grand Rapids and Lansing, there is a guy near here that installs fences for people and uses the black creosote posts, he has thousands of them stockpiled behind his barn on M-66, south of M-43, i've heard he sells posts as well as other fence materials. His name escapes me right now but I could find out if this in your range or you dont find any closer to you. Bill
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

Dana

Thanks for the replys. I really want creosote and will check with the place in Wisconsin. Bill, if you happen to find the number for the installer in Southern Michigan I will call him also. If I have to, I will go with CCA posts. We have a lot of 5"-16" cedar but its worth more as logs/lumber.

Riles

The Louisiana company doesn't do creosote or CCA, they put copper azole on pine, and the stuff supposedly goes all the way through and nontoxic.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

scsmith42

There is a company in WVA that does Creosote RR Ties - I can check to see if they do fence post also.  Locally (NC), General Timber makes and sells them; however the shipping may be prohibitive.

Let me know if you'd like me to research further.  Regards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

shopteacher

Seeing as how it seems all the train tracks follow streams and rivers I wonder how they keep the leach out from going into the water.  I'm" sure " the DER and EPA would have something to say about it and give them a big fine.  I know because I was burning some and they stopped and told me I had to put it out immediately and not to use water cause the runoff might reach the creek 6 acres away.  I'm sure they wouldn't  play favorites, would they?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

sawguy21

Not to mention all those creosoted bridge timbers :D Precast ties are used now but there are still a lot of the wood ones still in service.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

I don't think there is leachout of creosote, just the hype from the enviro's that there is.
But that is my opinion, and haven't seen any concrete (no pun intended) evidence of such leaching. 
Concrete busts up in a few short years as railroad ties or piers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Florida has gone back to wood bridges on the woods roads. Concrete doesn't hold up.  They are finding out that concrete cross-ties don't hold up either.

I've been told that creosote will leave the top of a pole and deposit itself in the bottom.  I've not had anyone tell me that the creosote will leave the pole and puddle in the ground though.

Dana

Scott, If you could get the number for General Timber in NC I will call them. BeenThere, Webster Ind. sold the tie division to Stella Jones. They only offer ties for sale. $17.00 for a 6x6 $23.00 for a 7x9 Too expensive for fence posts. Bill, I looked for the number you posted but its been deleted?

scsmith42

Dana, here is their web site:

http://www.generaltimber.net/

They are located outside of Sanford, NC (30 miles SW of Raleigh).  Their phone is  919) 774-6213.

Good luck!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!