iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another mystery fungus

Started by srjones, August 08, 2006, 06:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srjones

I've seen these things placed on top of stumps and down logs (I suspect) by squirrels and chipmunks.  I'm in the pacific northwest, north coast range of Oregon.   

Size: Usually, like this one, about the size of a golf ball or ping-pong ball.  The .22LR cartridge in the picture is for scale.
Texture:  Brown/dirty on the outside as if it was buried.  Inside, squishy almost like really thick jello when fresh.  Hard when dried.
Smell:  Very pungent strong smell with faint garlicy sulphur hint.  Sickening after a while.  I get a headache just thinking about it.
Taste:  yeah, right.  :)

Any ideas as to what this might be?

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

beenthere

Doesn't look like squirrel or chipmunk scat to me. But then, haven't seen any placed on stumps around here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

srjones

Nope, definatly not that...all that might actually smell *better*.  Like I mentioned, the smell is REALLY strong.

Max sawdust

It may be a black truffle, or something in that family of mushrooms. :o  Don't eat it until it is identified.  Even then if is a black truffle it is worth to much to be eaten by common folks like us :D

I read something on a several types of truffles that grow in the Pacific Northwest, and how wine country cooks are creating dishes around the unique aroma of these truffles that rival those French truffles.

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Max sawdust

It looks like you are in the mecca of Oregon truffles 8)
Google it I am almost sure they are black truffles and they are worth big bucks ;D
Check this site, they are selling them for $110.00 for 4 ounces and $200 a pound
http://www.trufflezone.com/ordering.htm

Check this site out for a description of truffles, the pictures of the black one and their description seem like yours :o
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Truffles/OregonTruffles.htm

Again don't eat anything without positive identification.. ;)

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

srjones

Thanks Max,
I think you're right.  It's definatly in the truffle family

http://www.fungaljungal.org/key/truffle/index.htm

Unfortunatly, though, it's not the one worth the big bucks... ::)

Max sawdust

Darn :-\
I got all exited, cause we have no truffles in Wisconsin;)
Here I figured you got some critter digging them up for you saying sell these for a days pay to the wine country folks :D

Sometimes we do get gifts like that from above ;)

Max
True Timbers

Thank You Sponsors!