iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My chain saw became stubborn again

Started by alsayyed, August 08, 2006, 03:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello to everyone. Last time I have mentioned that my Stihl 650 was repaired. Unfortunately I tried to rip some wood using the Logosol mill which I have received three days ago. As I was ripping through suddenly the machine stopped and did not start again. I put fresh gas inside the tank and would not want to fire at all. I hope this not piston anywhere. I only used it for almost one hour. You know fellows I think I am not happy with Stihl products to tell you the truth. So could anybody tell me what is the basic problem or hint before I send it a way again. I am getting really frustrated I have got the saw mill and know the Stihl is not working. What did I do wrong in my life.

MDP

First off I hope you got your gas and mix oil ratio correct you mentioned in a preveious post that the people who fixed your saw said your mix ratio was incorrect, if you mix too lean or too rich your saw will not last even if it's new.  As far as your saw not starting now, you might have fouled a spark plug, the air filter might be plugged, your fuel filter could be plugged, worse yet if your gas was not mixed correctly you might have siezed the saw or burnt the piston or damaged the bearings, any of those will cause the saw to not run, hopefully it's something simple. Stihls are excellent well built saws that can take a beat'n so long as there operated and cared for properly. Good luck, Mark

Rocky_J

You also need to put bar oil in the bar oil tank. Every time you put fuel in the fuel tank, you also need to put oil in the oil tank.

That poor chainsaw. You will destroy it soon.  :'(

Raphael

It may just be vapor lock and/or flooding.  I find if I run my 066 dry on the mill it takes quite a number of pulls and false starts to get the fuel lines properly primed for running.  If I try to accelerate the process by setting the throttle open or putting it on choke I can flood the saw really quick.  I'd see if it'll start now that it's sat before you send it off for repairs.
  Also when refueling on the mill brush off the saw with a wisk broom of cheap paint brush before you open the caps this will help keep the fuel filter from getting blocked w/ saw dust and keep your oiler flowing properly.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Bill

Good advice so far -

I'll add a little - Clogged fuel filter can cause a saw fits and to not run. Several people on this board have mentioned that they have had problems when they got ethanol ( whether through an additive or whatever ) into their fuel. One sawyer fried a piston right away when he was given "dry gas" to use in his fuel - turned out to be all ethanol and cooked his piston on the first tank. Clogged air filter will also play fits with the saw.

BTW - all the fuels and oils should be fresh stock - not something that's old history or . . .

Sounds like you should make friends with a nearby small engine mechanic or possibly take a course online ? ? ?

Good Luck . . .

alsayyed

I mix the oil and gas very well and when I use the machine for one day or two days then I come next day the machine will not start, I take it to nearest by dealer in other country they tell me the piston is gone. Actually they use 660 piston and they tell me this is exactly the same, because 650 only made for US market not sold even in Germany. I do not know I am so irritated by this phenomena that it works for few hours then the piston get burnt. I am asking my self maybe this MS650 has manufacture defects. Could anybody comment in this problem

Mooseherder

I think Pigman is the smartest poster here. If he can't help you, nobody can.
Bob is the Smart One.

Raphael

Have you seen the damaged parts? & Can you describe or post a picture of the piston?

My original 066 lost compression rather suddenly after ~24 running hours, when we pulled the muffler we found the piston was scored.  Fortunately I got the 066 through Logosol so it was replaced under warrantee, I was told at that time that about one in fifty did this for no obvious reason.
  Then we were guessing a problem with the steel, but now I'm wondering if it might have had something to do with ethanol in the fuel?
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

alsayyed

Time for a Husky 

you know i have another small chain saw it is called Alpina, i use the same gasoline and it works very good. it is 16 inch but believe me never ever that machine stopped . know I am thinking to go for Alpina, Husky, or 660 the Stihl is the last choice.

Kevin

What amount of oil are you mixing with what amount of fuel?
Are you cleaning the air filter daily?
Are the fins on the head free of sawdust?
Are your chains sharp?
Is the wood being milled clean?
Do you check the rpm occasionally?

alsayyed

I mix exactly according to the instruction 1:50
I always sharpen the chain.
I clean the air filter daily after each operation.
I do not know how to check the rpm.
I am going to tomorrow to travel almost 9 hours 600kmeter to Stihl dealer in other country for repair because they do not believe why is this happen.
I know the 650 is the same 660. They do not have 650 the only thing they have the 660.
If I mix the oil and gas incorrectly then why the other machine works well without any hassles.
I have tried to reach the Stihl USA but not luck. Very hard to reach these people on the phone.

Raphael

I imagine the time difference between here and there makes contacting Stihl USA a hassle.  :(

A couple of suggestions for when you bring your saw back from the shop:

Before you start to mill again use the saw for some "gentle" crosscutting to let the new parts break in.
When you start a day of milling let the saw warm up at idle for a little while before you start to rip.
After your first rip cut check the tension on the chain, on my father's 250 the chain gets tighter when it gets hot, not sure if the 650 does this as well but if it does that could be causing part of the problem.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Kevin

You should consider 40:1 for milling.
What brand of oil are you using?
Buy a tachometer to check your saws rpm.

Tony_T

ethanol/dry gas will toast a saw fast if it's in the fuel mix.  Found this out many years ago at the expense of a 028 stihl.  It did not even get through half a tank before the piston/cyl was toast.

Thank You Sponsors!