iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mastercraft Forklift

Started by PineNut, August 03, 2006, 11:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineNut

Have a chance to purchase a 1977 Mastercraft 5000 forklift. 5000 pound lift to 11 feet. Power is 3 cylinder Ford gas burner. Asking price is $3500 (was originally $5000.) Engine rebuilt about 5 years ago. I know a big part of the decision is the condition of the equipment.

I am not familiar with different lifts.  Would anyone have any suggestions on on this piece of equipment assuming it is currently in good mechanical condition. Also on the availability of parts. (I know that on a 30 year old piece of equipment, what seems to be good one day may be junk the next.)

Warren

PineNut,

I few months ago I bought a 1970 something Warner & Swasey 8,000lb forklift.  Did some research on the web before buying it.  Figured out the chassis/drive line was basically a 1970 something Ford 3000 or 4000 tractor.  Mine has the 172 cu. in. three cylinder diesel motor.  Around here all of the tractor shops have access to new replacement parts for the older Ford tractors.  Figured a hydraulic shop could handle the cylinders and spool if I had a problem with them.

I would suggest doing some Google'ing on the machine you're looking at.  If it has a basic Ford tractor driveline, I wouldn't worry so much about driveline replacement parts.

The one thing I would check thoroughly is the brake condition / performance.  I passed on several other lifts / loaders because of brake issues.  On a lot of the older tractors, the mechanic has to crack both sides of the differential to get to the brakes.  That would be a lot of wrenching ($$$'s) with the extra stuff on a forklift.

Good luck to you !

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Lenny_M

The ford driveline parts are easy to come by. The brakes i believe are a wet brake system and hold up really well.Never had to adjust them or anythang
that engine with a shuttle shift tranney in a forklift would be assome.
I got a 1971  4500 industrial backhoe with 201??deisel.4 speed shuttle shift.No big problems at 5000+ hours. A locking rear would be a plus.
                                                                         Lenny

Thank You Sponsors!