iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

in their own words (Jeff's Secret)

Started by woodmills1, December 27, 2002, 05:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Just got back from visiting my parents in NJ and found my Christmas copy of woodmizer news in the mail box.  When I got to page 28 there was a photo of a familiar Tom and a story in their own words.  cool!
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

I've been looking for my copy but all I've got is junk mail. :( Maybe today ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Kevin_H.

Got my copy a couple of days ago, That tom he sure does get around. ;D
By the way what color are your uniform shirts ?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jeff

Tom if you don't show 'em soon I am goona bust. They are Red Red Red and so is someone else's that looks just like Tom only disneyish.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Attention.......!   Attention...... ![/color]                            New website being constructed.                              Come visit !                                         Grand Opening!
Ok guys.  I gotta tell you about this web site that is being worked on. www.tomssaw.com

I was going to wait until I had more pictures and figured out how to maintain it but time is of the essence.

The uniform is typical for an everyday wear, It's all I've got 'cause I like it...... and the little squirrel and the forestry forum kid and the gator etc, etc.  Let me know what you think and I'll pass it on to the developer and designer.

Tom's Saw!

RavioliKid

Nice site and I loved your story!

Good job!

8)

RavioliKid

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

RMay

RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Don P

Bibbyman

Well,  I like the squirrel. ;D

Hay!  What happened with all the Santa Smileys! ???
Sawing since '94

sawwood

I just looked at toms site and i must say great place tom.
 I sure liked the photos and all the info on sawing.  8)

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

J Beyer

Tom,

From the few glances I took of your site, it looks really cool.   8) 8) 8)I'll thoroughly check out your site later, have to return a Christmas gift.  The watch band is almost as irritating as Lenny's neighbor.

Going out later to get the squirrel.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Bro. Noble

Tom,

I really like your new website.  Your designer-developer must be one smart dude.

There is one thing that does have me bothered just a little.  I was just wondering if you have more than one of those red shirts?

When I was laid up,  I got to watching reruns of Gunsmoke.  Never noticed it when I was a kid but Matt Dillon evidentally just had one shirt and it was a pink one to boot.  It's no wonder you never saw Miss Kitty smooching him.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Hey! that twernt pink, it was "Salmon"

Texas Ranger

Is it just me, or do Tom's teeth look store bought? 8)

Getting close to that glaring eye ball that other feller had on his posts. ;D

Neat site, Tom.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Noble,

What do you take me for, a Hobo?  Sure I got more than one shirt.  I bought a whole bunch of them on sale back in 1980 and I keep them in the barn. When I wear one out to the point that it's not presentable anymore, I go out there and unwrap another. ;D  They're pretty good shirts and last a long time.  If I don't wash them too often they stay red too.  'Course I don't have anything against wearing a pink shirt.  You gotta be pretty Macho to get away with doing sometihing like that. :D

I've found that they make a good flag for over-long logs and lumber too. :P ;D  Some times I'll tear the bottom off because I need a flag :-/    When I do that it becomes a summer shirt cause they are a little airish.  That way I get to have two shirts at once, one for work and one for Sunday-go-to-meetin'.

I like my  motorcycle pictures.   For you guys that take pictures of your sawmill, remember to always give a copy to the customer even if you have to go back later to do it.  It's one of the best advertising gimmicks and it not only allows you to confront them again but gives them a piece of their history.  Most of them won't take pictures of the sawing operation and them taking part.  Later they wish they had.  It's especially important if they have kids. :)

J Beyer

Tom,

How about videotaping a portion of the operation?  Would this not be a great way to show potential clients how you operate without them getting dirty?  Or it would be a great way to show my generations grandkids how lumber is made.

Besides, any video can be transferred to DVD to preserve picture quality.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Tom

Jeff,
Anything you can use to preserve the historical aspect of sawmilling is worth doing. Especially if it contains as many pictures of the people as you can get into them.   Pictures of people, ways of doing things and names are hard to come by 100 years after the tree is taken down.  We should all be concerned that we record history, for our sake as well as for others.

Another thing I do along these lines is try to get them to write my name along with their's in the top of the barn or house.  It's the only way a sawyer gets his name associated with a structure.  I think a board should be signed by all who had anything to do with putting a building up and nailed into the attic or somewhere safe. :)

Ron Scott

The reason I take so many logging pictures is to give my landowner clients and the timber producer some photo history of their work and their trees being harvested. I usually send a photo history to each with a Christmas card.

They really appreciate this memory and show them to many others. The best advertising one can get.
~Ron

Kevin_H.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bibbyman

Just got my Wood-Mizer News today.  Great picture of Tom and his "little brother" Don (Laskowski  ;D ).  

I tried to tell my youngest granddaughter Brook Tom was Santa but I couldn't fool her.  She could spot a phony Santa when she sees one.

I didn't see in the article where Tom is a member of the Wood-Mizer Million Board Feet club.  He did it once for practice so he knew he could do - then again for the record.  :P He's probably done it couple more time since.

Great article Tom. 8)  Keep on sawing and telling those stories.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Here is Tom's tag at W.M. head quarters in Indy.

Here is Tom with his Tag and the Coffee Pot!

whitepe

Cool Tom,
Is that web site on Jeff's servers?

I remember about 10 years ago when I took
a couple of logs to a guy with a circle mill.
When we were all finished I got out my check
book to pay him and he said
"Put your check book away,  come on up to
the house at let's eat. We'll figure up later.
Had some really good burgers. He was a real
personable fellow, just like you Tom.  8) 8)

Whitepe

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Tom

Wow, Thanks Y'all. You give me some high marks to shoot for.  Shucks.....  I'm so proud. ;D

whitepe

I just remembered more to the story about
going to the circle mill. The mill was powered by
an old LP powered Minneapolis Moline tractor.
Felt really good seeing that Minny-Mo since I had
a 1962 Jetstar at that time. We used the Jetstar to
get the logs out of the gully behind my house.
Anyway,  it was my first time ever seeing any logs
being milled so I took my 35 mm and my cam
corder along.  I had no idea it was my job
to pull boards so there I was taking video footage
while the mill owner was whacking away at my
big white oak logs. He took a couple of
passes then turned to look at me.  A big smile
broke onto his face and he said.
"Hey,  you're supposed to be the chief grunt in
this operation. get to work"
That's when I first learned why Jeff became a sawyer  :D

I guess you can say it was then that the first seed
got planted that eventually grew to where I bought
my LT15.  8)
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Den Socling

Tom,

I just got back from your site. You're pretty DanG cool! I really liked the bike pictures. Maico in Miami and 1912 HD - terrific.

Den

dan-l-b

Great site Tom,  Thanks for the tips the links and the pics.Dan

Fla._Deadheader

That's a lot of readin and pitcher lookin !!!  Very well done. Thanks for lettin us look.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!