iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pwm controllers

Started by kelLOGg, August 03, 2006, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

It seems to me that one of the more important characteristics of a PWM used for sawhead advance would be the non-optional requirement to stop the motor before reversing it. I haven't seen one meeting this requirement that I thought was rugged enough for outdoor use. I can find quite a few that would do the job but they all leave open the possibility of accidentally reversing before the motor has stopped. A sawmill has plenty of switches and levers to actuate and I am leary of adding another labor-saving device that I or someone else may accidentally reverse at the wrong time.
Do you users of PWMs have a controller with this feature and, if so, where can I get one?

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mike_van

Bob, my setup uses a Dart control [ac-dc] and I also have a drum switch next to it for for/rev. 15 years now, i've never had a problem with changing direction.  The dc motor runs a rightangle drive, chain from that to drive shaft, chains around that pull the head back & forth.  The worst I can see if the switch was reversed sawing, the blade would be pulled off  the wheels.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!