iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of tree to plant?

Started by johncinquo, December 26, 2002, 10:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

Where oh where do I post this one.  I think here looks like the right spot.  I have been clearing out some of my woods, getting rid of the dead trees, selling off some of the larger logs, creating a couple areas for growing deer grasses, etc.  Along my back edge I really cleared out a nice wide stretch and was thinking I should plant some new trees. I am thinking of something that is a hardwood, that will grow up to be something nice kids, grandkids etc.  Heck if they can cut it down and retire it would be fine with me.  Course by then it just may pay for a trip to disney.  Anyway, I have red, black, and white oak already.  Some pines and a bunch of sassafras.  The soil is mainly sandy with about 5" of topsoil.  What do you think will grow good?  Are options like walnut, maple, or other high quality wood good options?  all of these do grow in my area.  Second, where would be the best place to buy them?  I bought a 6' maple last year for my own yard and I do not want to spend $60 for trees to go out in the woods. (It was a present so don't think I am nuts).  I have been to the soil conservation place before, and it seemed they had just pines for sale.  Know a good place where I can get trees inexpensively?  (I am scotch, not dutch BTW).  Thanks fo ryour thoughts in advance.    JB
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

OneWithWood

Here in Indiana I buy my seedlings from the state tree nursery.  I am sure Michigan has a nursery or two.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Scott

John,

How many acres do you have and have you gotten a recommendation from your local Conservation District Forester as to what might grow best on your soils to meet your management objectives?

You might want to move this over to the Ask The Forester Thread for more response.
~Ron

Phil

Hi, John.

Is your back edge bordered by a neighbor's woods or by open pasture?  How wide is the strip you were talking about?

Phil

johncinquo

Hey, lookey there.  A whole area of FF that I did not know existed.  This does not show up as a "tab"when I pass over the "forum" button.  Well now I know where to post that question.  I plan on visiting the state soil conservation office again and see just what they can get for me.  All I saw offered there was pines before, but they might have more.  The area I want to plant is about 1000 ft long, and about 15- 20 yards wide.  It butts up to more woods.  I have talked with the owner of that property and he plans to leave it as woods indefinetly, like on the verge of donating to conservation.  I dont think planting more oaks is that advantageous for the long term, but I already know they grow there.  Thanks.  Now I have to go read this forum!  JB
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Bro. Noble

JB,

Look around till you find your instant mesages too.  Could get you an old saw for your collection.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

If you start partin with Barkers I'm cuttin in line. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

Nope he messes with old Macs.  I came across several of them one time on an adventure.  They have up-side-down glass sediment bowles on them.

If a guy asked around, old time loggers and wood cutters ought to be able to tell you where to find an old Barker saw.  Might be more plentiful here and in Arkansas,  but there were a lot up in the pulp country too.  There are several models of the old chain saws that I'm looking for.

Might be able to fix you up if you really want one.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Noble, I have your picture at the mill and nobody up here that has looked at the picture has ever saw one. When I get down that way I plan on studyin one up close. Too cool.

Jeff

By the way, I have a picture of one of your saws at the mill too and nobody has ever saw one of those either. :D

Thank You Sponsors!