iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ultra Cool Aircraft Photos and stories!

Started by treecyclers, July 28, 2006, 04:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treecyclers

I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Riles

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Saki

Some real good pics there. For a really good aviation related book, I really enjoyed " Wager with the wind " the Don Sheldon story. About one of the if not the most known bush pilot in Alaska. He had some really hairy adventure, saved many peoples lives and some amazing experiences.

thurlow

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but.................one of my all-time favorite authors was Nevil Shute; many of his books revolved around planes/pilots/aviation.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Tom

Sidney Bowen was mine.  His stories revolved around planes/pilots/aviation too.  ;D

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ianab

If you have a broadband Net then this video is a good one  ;D

http://video.google.com/.....

Russian Mig fighter that does things that a plane just isn't supposed to be able to do  :o

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

I figure the canards give the pilot the edge, allowing him to fly both ends of the plane.   This fellow has his hands full.

Patty

Wow! That is one good pilot there in the Mig.  8)

We get the pleaseure of watching the crop dusters around here. We have an AgCat pilot that can really handle his plane. The aerobatics are sure a fine site to behold.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

pigman

Mini-dozer, 450 Case, being hooked to a skycrane.

Mini-dozer after lift off.

I never hooked a dozer to a skycrane. I was on a small hill once when I "talked in" a skycrane carring a D-5 Cat dozer. The tracks and blade was carried by another skycrane. When the skycrane was about to set the dozer down, the wind off the roters was so strong that me and all the other dumb as box of rocks people were blown off the hill. As soon as the dozer touched down and the weight was removed off the skycrane the wind decreased to a slight breeze. I was glad I was not the dozer operator that had to put the tracks and blade on by hand.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

I like the Harrier Flyover in Ian's link. ;D

SwampDonkey

Canadian Air Crane

Sea/Float Plane Warf at Prince Rupert, BC. Pictured are the Twin Otter, Single Otter and the Beaver at Harbour Air.

Jet Ranger taking off after taxiing us to an island for work.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PineNut

Not the latest of aircraft but of the same vintage as old shakey as posted by Paul_H. The
front seat of this aircraft was my office from 1961 to 1963. I flew other models of the
same basic aircraft up through 1975 when most of them were retired from service.

Radar67

Here's a few of a coupe of nice old girls.

B-25 Mitchell

One for the Jar Heads. Semper Fi!!

And one of me pulling guard duty....for the Thunderbirds.  :)

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ianab

Quote from: Tom on July 29, 2006, 09:55:28 AM
I figure the canards give the pilot the edge, allowing him to fly both ends of the plane.   This fellow has his hands full.

The Mig uses vectored thrust to manouver as well as the control surfaces. I have another bigger video that has shots from a camera mounted under the plane, you can see the jet tailpipes waving about to direct thrust in the direction the pilot wants. Thats how he can balance it on it's tail and backflip it with no airspeed.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

:-\

Barf!                         :D

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D I am wondeing how that MiG pilot kept track of where the ground was. Those manoevres usually result in an 'impact with terrain'. :'(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

asy

Now tell me...

What on EARTH makes someone flying a plane designed to go thousands of Km/Hr decide to see if he can make it do a backflip?

What makes him say, Hey! Today I think I'll see if I can screw with the laws of gravity and make the plane dance on it's tail?

Crikey!

I'm sure glad they showed where the plane landed, though, coz I'd have never believed it otherwise!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Don P

QuoteWhat on EARTH makes someone flying a plane designed to go thousands of Km/Hr decide to see if he can make it do a backflip?

A glimpse in the rearview can be pretty good incentive  ;) ;D.

Stew is that taildragger a T-6?

Radar67

Don, it is either the t6 Texan or the Douglas Dauntless SDB dive bomber, I'm not sure which. I'm leaning more to the T6 because I can determine if it has the tell-tale holed dive brake on the trailing edge of the wing.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don P

You got me googling. There's a T6 not too far away that gives hands on rides.
http://www.giftflight.com/sample2.htm
I wonder how to casually ask someone if they would like to take a spin without raising suspicion  :D  Must be almost 50 years since Dad's sat in one.

sawguy21

That would be a hoot. I really enjoy flying in smaller a/c.
"Loops and rolls are done one at a time to ensure the comfort of our guest pilot." 
Best done before lunch. :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Quartlow

I love airpalnes!!! That Mig would be a great ride, could you imagine coming up against one of those in combat?  :o
What I wouldn't give for that ride!!!  :)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Don K

I saw a program on t.v. a while back where the soviet union was allowing people to come in and pay for ride in a mig. They are having a hard time with funds to operate the military and they use all kinds of fundraisers  :D I think I remember $10,000. as the price. A little out of my budget, but I would love to have a ticket.

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

asy

Quote from: Don K on August 03, 2006, 12:35:48 PM
I think I remember $10,000. as the price. A little out of my budget, but I would love to have a ticket.

I think if I was gonna spend that much on a flight (!) I'd want to do the 0 Gravity flight.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!