iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Black locust Crane Removal

Started by urbanlumberinc, July 30, 2006, 06:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbanlumberinc

Here's a few shots of a 30" dia Black Locust being removed from the narrow space between two houses.  The tree was aprox 80-90', and by the ring count about 50 years old.  It had to be removed because it was causing damage to the houses on both sides.  A 50' Ash between it and the street prevented use of a bucket.  The guys at Handshake tree and Tim O'Connor of Tree of Life  (arborist) handled the removal with great skill and efficiancy.  The whole operation took just a shade under 3 hours. :o :o :o

here's Tims grand entrance
Tim rigging a limb

and the first slab off the butt log, really nice stuff.  Sawed up on share with the homeowner (the guy on the right)

urbanlumberinc

oops, I inserted the wrong photo on that last one, here's the lumber shots

Ed

Nice job for working in tight quarters & some good looking lumber too.

Although the crane operator could lose his license for dropping the arborist in like that.

Ed

Jayson

Hey man that is some beautiful wood.Black locust is certainly one of my favs.Use for sills in timber frames whenever possible but it is near impossible to find trees of any size.Thanks for the pix.Nice trade.

rebocardo

TexasTimbers

Nice wood. I wish we had some here but I don't know that we do. My book says we don't have any. We have some Honey Locust but no blacks.

Good job on the removal. How did you secure that huge heavy tree from swinging whenever you put the blade through it?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

urbanlumberinc

The trick is to get the tip of the boom plumb straight up with the center of gravity.

submarinesailor

Hey Ed,

My curiosity is getting the better of me. ??? ??? ???  Why would/could the crane operator lose his ticket for "dropping the arborist in like that"?  Is there a requirement they must be in a basket to hang off a hook or something like that?

Bruce

Ron Wenrich

And black locust looks cool under black lights.   :o  So does honey locust. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ga_Boy

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on November 30, 2006, 05:35:56 PM
And black locust looks cool under black lights.   :o  So does honey locust. 

Ron,

I am almost scared to ask how you know this tid bit of trivia...... ;) :D

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Ron Wenrich

Well, there's two places.  One is in the book Understanding Wood by R. Bruce Hoadley.  He has a listing of all the woods that have fluorescent properties.  The locust will be a bright yellow. 

The other I heard was that a bar owner had his bar made from black locust.  It was for the dancers and lit up with the black lights.  It gave a cool effect.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see the results of the work.   :D

TexasTimbers

ERC is also shown under black light in Hoadley's book. It's cool looking too.

Ron Wenrich

But that's showing that the ERC isn't flluorescent, while the sumac is.

TexasTimbers

I just looked at it again. The fringes of the sapwood of the ERC is glowing, probably from the reflection of the Sumac. Ain't it funny what the mind remembers. And what it don't.  ::)

Ron Wenrich

The only reason I remember it is because I had just looked it up.   ;)

urbanlumberinc

I thought I'd heard that somwhere, also heard it about Ailanthus, anyone know if that's true?

TexasTimbers

Quote from: urbanlumberinc on December 02, 2006, 12:34:10 PM
I thought I'd heard that somwhere, also heard it about Ailanthus, anyone know if that's true?

Again, looking in Hoadley's pg 106 Table 5.2. it is not listed under that name at least.

He does qualify his list with three important qualifiers. He states that it is a "partial" list of "North American" woods that have "noteworthy" fluorescence under the UV lighting.

I did notice a wood I have never heard of on the list though. Hercules Club . It even grows right across the river from where I live. 

rebocardo

> Why would/could the crane operator lose his ticket for "dropping the arborist in like that"?

Against OSHA and most crane OEM use policies to use cranes in place of bucket operations. I imagine it would void an insurance policy too. Cranes and buckets used for this purpose are built with safe guards in place to prevent the person on the end of the cable from being killed. As an example, if that cable was to break and start freewheeling through the pulley or the operater suddenly dropped him from 100 feet because the operator sneezed while holding the level, you would want something to clamp down on the cable.

Thank You Sponsors!