iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drill Doctor

Started by Corley5, July 29, 2006, 03:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Anybody have one and do you like it ???  We've got LOTS of dull and therefore useless bits.  Grandpa could sharpen them free hand on the bench grinder and make em cut better than new.  I can really screw them up  ::) ;) ;D  If one of these works as good as Paul Harvey says they do ;)  It would be a good investment as we've got a lot of $ of bits that only need sharpening.  I bought a couple 1/2" bits a while ago and they don't give em away  ::)  They need to be sharpened now too  ::) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I bought one five years ago, and I ain't cut the plastic bindings off it to open it up yet. I hope to use it some day, but I never use too many bits. ;D I got mine at Lee Valley.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I have one and like it a lot. Seems for me it took some initial learning time, but with the help by finally reading the directions, I was able to put a very good edge on my drill bits. Great to have plenty of sharp ones when drilling steel. I used to touch them up pretty good on the grinder, but having both cutting edges the same, and at the same angle, is much better than hand grinding. The added feature to put the split point on the bits is worth a lot too. They are self-centering and fast cutting.

I don't try to sharpen the ones 1/8" and under. But for the other sizes, I keep them sharp with the Drill Doctor.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

neslrite

Greg,
We use the Drill Doctor daily in the shop, works great ;D

I will bring it to the pig roast you can try it out ;)

Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Don_Papenburg

My opinion is the opposite . I have had mine for 15 years and used it just a few times .  The bit holder does not turn freely enough to sharpen a bit . I do not think that there is very much grit left on my wheel any more and I have not sharpened more than 25 bits with it.   By the time I got drill bits set up in the holder I could have had two bits sharpened on the grinder.  With practice you can do a better job on the grinder.   I will probably be in the minority but I would save my money and practice on the grinder.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Don K

I have one and I wish I had it twenty years ago. They pay for themselves very quickly.  ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DR_Buck

I've had mine about 6 years and wish I had 6 years before that.   It's one of the best tools I've ever purchased.  I purchased the model with both large and small bit holders.   First day I had it, I sat in front of the TV with a box of over 60 dull bits.  In no time at all, they were as good as new.  Even the broken ones!     

I don't understand  Don's comments at all. 

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on July 29, 2006, 09:24:02 PM
My opinion is the opposite . I have had mine for 15 years and used it just a few times .  The bit holder does not turn freely enough to sharpen a bit . I do not think that there is very much grit left on my wheel any more and I have not sharpened more than 25 bits with it.   By the time I got drill bits set up in the holder I could have had two bits sharpened on the grinder.  With practice you can do a better job on the grinder.   I will probably be in the minority but I would save my money and practice on the grinder.

To date I've sharpened 100's of bits and am still using the original grinding wheel.   One of the greatest products ever made!
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

wiam

Luv mine, had it for years sharpened hundreds of bits, still on original stone but nned to change.

Will

PawNature

Quote from: DR_Buck on July 29, 2006, 10:17:53 PM
I purchased the model with both large and small bit holders. ]

Buck, Which model has the large and small bit attachments
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

scsmith42

I've had one for close to 15 years, and definitely recommend it.

Don, I had some problems similar to yours but polished up the sleeves and everything worked fine after that.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

chet

Got it and luv it.  :)  More than payed for itself da day I bought it.  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

isawlogs

Where can one get one , how much do they sell for ... Always on the lookout for something good and useful , I sharpen on the grinder , but would be nice to have something that would do a better job .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

8) Thanks guys  Sounds like a good tool to have around.  Looks to me like E-bay has the best deals on them  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

With the white collets, shown in white, I can sharpen bits from 3/32" to 1/2"  ;D

This unit is made in England by Martek.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

I don't have this model, but I use a Black & Decker sharpener for 3/8" and smaller. For up to 3/4" I have one of those stand things that mounts to the bench next to the grinder,  and for that I made a different head that does up to 1".   Only thing worse than drilling steel with a dull drill is  dry hickory with a dull chain!
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Ironwood

I have one as well, works great. Now I just need to sit down and sharpen the BOX of dull bits like I did when I first bought it. I even take it to my Mother-in-laws to sharpen my Brother-in-laws bit when we all visit (keeps us boys occupied,out of trouble and away fom you know who!). You won't regret buying one.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jimbo

i have one and it works realey good  for the biger bits  i do have problems with the collet on smaller than 1/4 in but then thay are cheaper  and you can afford to toss them better ,i think teats the model 300 that has the collets up to 3/4 with two collets  but i vote for them as being good tool to have around               

jimbo

Don_Papenburg

Dr buck ,My  comments were the facts as I know it .  The thing did a good job on the first few bits but has been sliding backwards off the slippery slope to junkland since.  It is like the hole that the collets fit into shrunk and then undo force has to be applied to turn the thing to sharpen the whole bit .  Then it seems to me that the grinding wheel is dull as the danG thing does not do a good job there either.  My vote is still to keep your money.

SwampDonkey ,  Is that thing of yours metal? would you buy another?
I just plan on fixing my old drill sharpener that sets to the side of the grinder wheel.  Anyone  want a drill doc ? I think mine got it degee from a mailorder collage.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

highpockets

I've had a drill doctor for maybe fifteen years.  A year or so back I noticed that it did not grind correctly. Some way the piece that is mounted in the housing (where you put the mandrel) had gotten out of sync at it's pivot point.  I had looked at it several times but it took my cousin to identify the problem. Snapped it back in place and everything is ok now. 

What I find is that for bits of 1/4 to maybe 7/16, I like it fine.  On the smaller bits, the indexing fingers seem to not engauge the bit properly without some really close looking.  On bits larger than this I mostly hand grind if I am not drilling to tap.

I think patients is mostly the key to using this machine.  If you try to shapen a hand ground bit, you probably notice that you hand ground bit was slightly off.  It can take some doing to get it back right.     

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

beenthere

I cleaned the bit holder and it works ok. No problem with binding. It's sharpened a bunch of bits and still on the first diamond wheel. I have a new wheel but still using the first one with good results. I would look for a problem, but would certainly not shy away from recommending someone buy one. I like mine a lot.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DR_Buck

Paw Nature 

Here is a link to the model I have with both drill colletts.   It's the 750.

Drill Doctor 750
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

moosehunter

We have used a drill doctor for many years here at the shop. Used to be hard to turn the collets but they freed up over time. Very good tool for the $$.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

PawNature

Quote from: PawNature on July 29, 2006, 11:19:31 PM

Couldn't stand it. Just orderd one off ebay...

ely

dad has one in the shop and it gets mixed results as far as the quality of sharp bits. i have never tried it myself. i have always just freehand the bits on my grinder with a fine stone. i too get mixed results on the quality of sharp bits. i need to set down and learn about the machine i guess.

footer

I sharpened bits part time for several years. I was using a fairly expensive, $2500 sharpener, but it was too cumbersome on the smaller bits, so I bought a Drill DR. It could be me, but I was verry dissapointed in the results. What can you expect for the money though ::) It was a waist of money in my opinion. It might be ok for the homeowner, But I can hand sharpen on a grinder and get better results a lot faster.

PawNature

Quote from: PawNature on August 03, 2006, 02:45:51 PM
Quote from: PawNature on July 29, 2006, 11:19:31 PM

Couldn't stand it. Just orderd one off ebay...
Quote from: footer on August 07, 2006, 12:51:30 PM
I sharpened bits part time for several years. I was using a fairly expensive, $2500 sharpener, but it was too cumbersome on the smaller bits, so I bought a Drill DR. It could be me, but I was verry dissapointed in the results. What can you expect for the money though ::) It was a waist of money in my opinion. It might be ok for the homeowner, But I can hand sharpen on a grinder and get better results a lot faster.

Dang IT.....

beenthere

Like most anything we do, it takes some practice and it takes some learned skill. Neither comes in the box with the Drill Dr.  ::) :)

I thought, when I first started using mine, that I was ripped off. But then realized where I was going astray, practiced a bit, and managed to get the correct technique of positioning the drill bit in the holder correctly (if it is not, then new angles will be ground instead of sharpening the existing angles) and then spinning the holder with the drill bit correctly positioned against the cams for precise grinding.

It isn't automatic, and it doesn't happen the first time. Once it is learned,  there are no mis-ground bits. The bits end up with two good cutting edges (real tough to get two cutting edges when grinding by hand, and I used to think I was pretty fair at that by-hand skill) and for me, not a disappointment at all. Maybe a bit like learning to post pics on the Forum  ;D
south central Wisconsin

footer

Quote from: beenthere on August 07, 2006, 03:39:19 PM
Like most anything we do, it takes some practice and it takes some learned skill. Neither comes in the box with the Drill Dr.  ::) :)

It isn't automatic, and it doesn't happen the first time. Once it is learned,  there are no mis-ground bits. The bits end up with two good cutting edges (real tough to get two cutting edges when grinding by hand, and I used to think I was pretty fair at that by-hand skill) and for me, not a disappointment at all. Maybe a bit like learning to post pics on the Forum  ;D

I used to think it was hard to hand sharpen also, but after sharpening several hundred thousand on a manual machine, I could almost hand sharpen them in my sleep.  It is defenatly something the majority of people would not get proficient at. I also developed a nack for split pointing by hand on grinder. Now if you think sharpening by hand is tough, try doing that. :D

PawNature

Finally got to use my new Drill Doctor. Love it. This 1/2" bit was broke into.

Frickman

I love using the Drill Doctor too. It does a much better job than I can do freehand.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!