The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Newbie Introduction - Building a Timber Frame Home  (Read 33654 times)

Offline ScottAR

• Senior Member x2
  • eat mo' ribs...
    • n/a
Re: Newbie Introduction - Building a Timber Frame Home
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 12:11:35 am »
bump!

SIPing right along.... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Offline Thomas-in-Kentucky

• Full Member x2
  • do something
    • Building a Timberframe Home from Scratch
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 06:46:26 am »
Thanks Scott - Yep... getting the SIPs on the house now.  Just updated the blog with a few more posts and pictures.  Below is a picture that's not on the blog.  "Forestry Forum Exclusive"  if you will. :)  I like this picture because it shows the dog house dormer we just finished, and the slate that we've put down around the non-existent chimney.  Could be years until I get around to properly plugging that big hole in the roof!!!  This picture also shows that my infill insulation has blown out of the walls here and there.  Whooops.  Better get those walls finished too.

Offline Thehardway

• Doin' it the hard way!
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 08:21:32 am »
I like the exposed timbers and braces on the one section.  Nice exterior architectural detail! Too many frames are being covered up.  Wear it proud!!

What did you do for the roof insulation system? Method? R-value? do you have a cross section drawing? 

Have you considered supplementing your solar power with wind power?

Has anyone seen a large, operating timber-frame and lattice windmill or wind mill house similar to the old dutch windmills?  Might make a neat project.  Would be helpful on those dark and cloudy but windy days as well.

When building a Solar power system build a de-sulfating system into your budget.  I work with UPS/Battery bank systems everyday and without a highly regulated float/equalize charge and desulfating system you may be replacing batteries every 3-4 years.  With good deep cycle batteries in the $100.00+ range you can spend most of what you are saving on power real quick.

http://www.shaka.com/~kalepa/desulf.htm

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 07:51:57 pm »
THW - do you have any experience with the Battery Minder pulse charger/desulphinators that northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company sells?  I use a number of them on my farm, and am curious if you have any recommendations - pro or con - regarding them.

Thx.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Thehardway

• Doin' it the hard way!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 09:14:43 pm »
Can't tell you anything about that particular brand.  Has it seemed to make a difference?  Batteries can be fickle.  You are probably aware that all batteries are not created equal.  Even well made batteries can often be trash by the time you purchase them and place them in use.  Some battery suppliers store and ship the battery cases dry and the sulphuric acid is installed separate to insure that batteries are fresh and the plates do not begin to sulfate during storage.  Long term storage without regular charging is a batteries worst enemy. 

For best results with de-sulfating the circuit should match the resonant frequency of the particular battery it is the resonance that breaks up the sulphur crystals on the plates.

I bet a battery for that excavator you have costs a pretty penny!
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

• Full Member x2
  • do something
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2006, 10:06:47 am »
THW,

here's a roof cross section:

R value is like R-50, R-45 if you consider the thermal breaks cased by 2x10's that are 48" apart.
Beneath the cross section that I have drawn is a vapor barrier, then 7/8" oak tongue and groove ceilings, supported by purlins on 36 to 48" centers.  The system seems to work fine and supports slate (and standing seam metal) without a problem, but if I had things to do over again, I think I'd dispense with the cathedral ceilings for most of my house and go with a regular "attic space" instead.  I'm not so much worried about condensation or vapor issues.  The problem that I see with a built up cathedral ceiling like I have implemented (and even more so with a SIP based cathedral ceiling) would be if your roof ever leaks - how would you find the leak?  Something to think about.

Yes, I'm considering hydro and wind later, but for now I am starting with solar.  It seems to be the most maintenance free method of producing one's own power.  Far on the other end of the spectrum (no pun intended) would be steam!

Offline bigmish

• I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 11:45:00 am »
This picture also shows that my infill insulation has blown out of the walls here and there. 

Thomas-in-Kentucky, I'm also really liking the infill. Can you give details or point to a resource for the method you used to do this?

Thanks, Mischa

• Full Member x2
  • do something
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 10:44:22 am »

As for the infilled walls on my house - I'm making that up as I go along  :), trying to think about vapor barriers, moisture escape, timber shrinkage, etc. and looking at some similar approaches people have used.  A good book is "The Timber-Frame Home" by Ted Benson.  He has written three books, but this book has a lot of little details about how to enclose and wire a timber frame house.  (although the infill method I arrived at is not particularly like the infill method he describes in his book)  It will take a few years of living with my house to know if I got it right.  I am a little more confident in the roof system that I am using - it is very similar to a friend's house, and his has worked for 10 years.

The foam that I'm using for my walls is the same as my roof.  4'x8' slabs of PolyIso insulation, available in thicknesses up to 4" (I'm using 3" in the wall) from Firestone.  On the inside of the house, I'm covering the braces (and polyiso) with 1" of foam, to reduce the number of thermal breaks.  Then drywall.  On the outside of the house, you will see braces and posts and beams, on the inside of the house, you'll see only posts and beams.  Also on the outside of the house, I intend to cover the polyiso with stucco - either the real stuff or dryvit, depending on who I can find to put the stuff on.  I assume that I'll need some kind of concrete board or thin eps foam as a substrate for the stucco.  All of the timbers that are exposed to the elements are whiteoak.  I hope to post more, including a cross section, when I finish that part of the house.  It is quite possible that I am building a very bad design.  This "infill" is an experiment that constitutes only about 20% of the walls of my house.  The rest are typical SIPs, if SIPs can be called typical.  If my infill experiment doesn't work, I can sippify it 5 years down the road.  Whiteoak will take a _lot_ of abuse.

-Thomas

Offline ScottAR

• Senior Member x2
  • eat mo' ribs...
    • n/a
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 01:49:54 am »
bump...

Slate is lookin' mighty fine!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Offline ScottAR

• Senior Member x2
  • eat mo' ribs...
    • n/a
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 01:28:59 am »
bump...
Scott
[Magicman]

Offline ScottAR

• Senior Member x2
  • eat mo' ribs...
    • n/a
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 01:50:56 am »
lookin good...   If your getting the same rains we are, it can't be easy to deal with
Scott
[Magicman]

• Full Member x2
  • do something
sips and slate
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 07:01:10 pm »
Between the wet weather, we're slowly gettin the roof on!  And, we've almost finished applying (installing, hanging, screwing? what is it that you do to SIPs?) all of the sips.  Here's a pic from the 3rd floor loft, looking down into a 2nd floor loft that overlooks the great room.  The windows that you see in this picture are all south facing, with plenty of roof overhang, to get the benefits of passive solar heating without baking in the summer time. (that's the plan - I hope it works to some degree!)

http:/massiehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScottAR

• Senior Member x2
  • eat mo' ribs...
    • n/a
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 01:04:59 am »
lookin' good!!  8)
Scott
[Magicman]

Offline Max sawdust

• If it's got to do with making sawdust; count me in!
    • truetimbers.com
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2006, 06:20:59 am »
Thomas,
Nice looking details. Keep the pics coming.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Offline Raphael

• Senior Member x2
  • Willing and able to do a boring job.
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 10:55:09 pm »
That's a really nice hammer beam.

We saw several nice shots of your frame at the Eastern Conference slideshow.
The infilled entry got a very positive response.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
 --Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

• Full Member x2
  • do something
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2006, 07:51:23 am »
Wish I could have made the conference..  had to work on the roof of the house though.  :(

My timber frame workshop instructor said he might show pictures of my frame at the conference.  Guess he made good on his threat.  :)  Glad to hear the folks liked the infill.  If I had it to do over, I might have built the entire house that way.  To me the house is one big experiment... that I'll have to live with.

-Thomas

Offline ScottAR

• Senior Member x2
  • eat mo' ribs...
    • n/a
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2006, 03:01:30 am »
Bump...

I like the copper... 

Look out... it's in the 30's and raining buckets...
Scott
[Magicman]

Offline ScottAR

• Senior Member x2
  • eat mo' ribs...
    • n/a
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 06:58:02 pm »
congrats on the solar power!!!

Better get back to roofing though...  Last night, a big ol' rain cloud
went by here headed your way.   
Scott
[Magicman]

• Full Member x2
  • do something
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2006, 08:17:46 am »
Yep,  rained here last night.  There are a few holes in my felt paper, so I took on a pudddle of water on the third floor.  Need to get back on the roof, but been plagued by the flu bug and a cold!  That's unfortunate, because it looks like we have some really nice weather headed our way - great roofing weather - but no good for getting over a cold/bug.  :(

TRying to pick out an outdoor wood furnace so we can get some heat/dryness in the house.  Started another thread on that topic over in the General board - if anyone has any advice or stories to relate about their outdoor wood furnaces, I'd really appreciate it.

Running all of our power tools on solar is a nice feeling.  My bro-in-law took his Honda generator back home!  :)

Thanks,
Thomas

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2006, 07:23:11 am »
Thanks for keeping this bumped up to remind me Scott. :)

I keep hollering at Patty to show her details of your home Thomas, I know the roof must be a pain to install but what a beautiful look. The eyebrow dormer is one of my favorite details but the whole design is awesome, keep up the good work.