iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best trees for planting -- need info

Started by Left Coast Chris, July 29, 2006, 01:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

I have about 6 acres at the 600 ft elevation of the far northern california valley in Redding about 2 hours north of Sacramento that has been cleared.   We are in zone 9 in most gardening catalogues.  Low in the winter is 20 degrees F. and summers are hot to 115 degrees.   The soil is deep river loam and can be flood irrigated once every two weeks.   It recently had declining english walnuts on black walnut root stalk that had suspected nematodes and had some phytopthrya root rot.  The stumps and large roots were completely removed by excavator.   Native trees in the area are valley oaks (white) mostly.  Planted trees that get huge in the area include silver maple, red oak, fruitless mulbery, sycamore, Calif. black walnut, cottonwood, pecan, even cork oak (love that tree)  and most fruit trees.  Soft woods like cedar and redwood can grow but tend to be tapered and don't like the heat.  They also fork frequently at the tip.

I would like to plant for hard wood saw logs and was woundering what to plant and where to get the trees.    Any hints as to good varieties?  I would consider valuable soft woods also.  Would appreciate any advise.   :P
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

rebocardo

> I would like to plant for hard wood saw logs

How long do you plan to live   :D   

Seriously though, I have measured growth rings on 100-300 year old oaks in GA, and growth at most is 1/4" a year, in its later years. Though in the early years it is a lot less then that. To get a 15 DBH hardwood tree (white oak saw log) is going to take a minimum of 60 years.

imo, You plant hardwoods for the next generation, you plant pine and fruit trees for yourself.

Hardwoods are worth planting anyways.  I am nuturing some mockernut hickory for future generations in my plant box at the front of my house.

If you plan to plant something you want to saw, I would suggest something that grows fast such as pine. The 2x4s and 4x4s you see at Home Depot are made from single trees harvested from GA pine farms and I think the turn around is only 20-30 years.

Western Red Cedar gets to about 6"-8" in the same time frame from what I have seen of cedar around here. Probably big enough for a small mill and might do well in your area.

Myself, I think planting a variety of trees, including trees that produce nuts early, are a good choice along with some fruit trees on small acreage. That way you can eat from your land while waiting for the longer return.

Some trees do poorly planted in a clearing and do best planted under or near other trees.

I had zero success planting red oak. The squirrels hid white oak acorns under my sawdust and shaving piles, guess what grew without my help?

Left Coast Chris

Rebocardo:   thanks for the info.    The mockernut sounds interesting.   The eastern native hardwoods seem to have much more variety than the natives out here at our low elevation.   I am thinking the maples would be good,  and the nut trees are a good idea but out here we mainly have only black walnut as natives.  The valley oaks grow much slower than the maples around here.   The western red ceder also sounds good.   

Is there any source for acorns or seeds that can be shiped to California that you know of?  ....or even a nursery that has a good reputation and serves comercial needs at lower prices? ???
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

rebocardo

I know Bailey's offers seedlings during certain times of the year. I would try to buy from someone in your zone. Though you can always ask around in Sept. for a FF member from another state to send you some nuts or seeds. That is how I got my red oak acorns. I think putting them in the fridge like some people do is probably the key to success.

I tried Magnolia seeds, but, I think they went bad. Guess I have to try again and get them right into the ground this time.

Mockernut hickory is supposedly the best for BBQ.  I will let you know in 20 years  8) :D

Thank You Sponsors!