iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain for trimming saw

Started by Ed, July 28, 2006, 07:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I'm checked out one of the new Stihl MS192t saws the other day. What a little sweetheart! at less than 7lbs. It will mainly be carried on my atv & used for clean-up work. Pretty sure one will be following me home soon.   ;)
I'm currently using 1/4" pitch chain on the 020's we have now.
Just wondering if I should stay with the 1/4" pitch or move up to the 3/8". I will probably use the Stihl "picco" chain. I have used the 3/8" narrow chain & it doesn't really impress me.

Thanks
Ed

sawguy21

That is a sweet saw, very light and easy to handle. We have not yet seen any problems with it. The 63PM chain is a good match, the 61PM is strictly for consumers and is prone to breaking under hard use, it doesn't like knots or nails at all :D.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dale Hatfield

Ed  that saw is nice but i dont think it will move as much wood as the ol  020

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Ed

Dale, I know it won't keep up with the old 020. But is seems like the only time I even get to touch an 020 is when it needs sharpening.   >:( Dad kinda keeps a short leash on his favorite saw.  :D

Ed

Mr Mom

Special Ed...Does your dad know my dad?? He does the same thing ::) ::) ::).

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

jokers

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 28, 2006, 10:03:46 AM
That is a sweet saw, very light and easy to handle. We have not yet seen any problems with it. The 63PM chain is a good match, the 61PM is strictly for consumers and is prone to breaking under hard use, it doesn't like knots or nails at all :D.
Hi Sawguy,

It seems apparent to me that you made the highlighted statement tongue in cheek but I want to add my two cents anyway.  ;D  Any saw outfitted, especially as by the manufacturer, with the narrow chain(.043) is not meant for hard use. I have first hand experience with the narrow chain and admit that I scoffed when I first saw the chain, it reminds me of the beaded chain on my son`s Stihl toy chainsaw  :D, but when I got an ms180c for my son I found out just how well that chain performs on a low powered saw like the 180 or 192T.

When my son wore out the first .043 chain I just swapped him over to a new 12" Stihl .050 3/8lp bar and chain figuring we could eliminate one more oddball chainsize but quickly found out that the saw just doesn`t have the same jam running the larger toothed lp chain. With the narrow chain the low powered 180 actually performs quite well for it`s size and cost and I think that you will find the same results with the 192T.

Ed

Stihl recommends a sprocket change for the "narrow" chain. 9 tooth on the "narrow", 7 tooth on the "pm" chain. That could exlpain some of the performance difference.
If you look at the chart in the Stihl catalog, they give chain, bar & sprocket recommendations.

bar & chain chart

Ed

jokers

Quote from: Special Ed on July 31, 2006, 11:38:26 AM
Stihl recommends a sprocket change for the "narrow" chain. 9 tooth on the "narrow", 7 tooth on the "pm" chain. That could exlpain some of the performance difference.

Ed
Hi Ed,

Yes a speed difference could be realized with a 9 tooth gear vs a 7 tooth provided the saw has the jam to pull the big gear without falling out of the powerband.

At any rate it`s possible I missed it when I followed your link and reviewed the chart but I did not see anywhere that Stihl recommended a drive sprocket size, ie; number of teeth. I did however see a reference to the bar nose sprocket size which is listed as 7 teeth on the narrow chain and 9 teeth on the standard 3/8 lo pro which makes perfect sense because the smaller profile of the narrow chain will allow it to operate efficiently on a smaller radius nose which reduces kick back potential, well suited to the market that Stihl intends the smaller saws for, homeowners and people who probably are not full time saw operators.

Ed

My Bad. I was reading what I wanted to read  :D not what was really there.
One word can make a big difference.

Ed

rebocardo

> I have used the 3/8" narrow chain & it doesn't really impress me.
and
> the narrow chain(.043) is not meant for hard use

You have to get the .043 chain from Baileys! 

I did not think they would have chain to fit my small saws (not listed).  But, I decided to ask when I was ordering other chains since they claim to have so much more then what is in the catalog ;)

I now run it on my MS-180c and my gas and electric pole trimmers.

It is very fast and at $10 for the 14" loop, inexpensive. I know I shouldn't do it, but, I sharpen it with the same wheel as I use on my 3/8 chain, just very carefully with a very light touch.

I didn't think it could be better then the Stihl's, but, it is. I think because it does not have the safety features of the OEM chain. So ... probably not for a beginner. Whizs now (being relative) through even
10"oak enough so if I am limbing a tree, I do not bother to grab the bigger Husky until I am to the much bigger trunk area.

I have even experimented dropping 12" DBH trees with it. Verdict : It works, but, don't throw away even your Poulan Wildthing for it. Biggest draw back is getting the wedges into the backcut.

urbanlumberinc

I'd forget about the pico chain, I ran it for awhile on a 020t and was not terribly impressed.  It's geared mainly to professional arborists for medium duty pruning (which it does seem to do pretty well)

Thank You Sponsors!