iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric Motor Problem

Started by GF, July 27, 2006, 08:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

I have a 5HP single phase high effeciency Baldor motor on a planer that shuts off after running for a short while.  When it shuts off I can touch the motor and it just barely warm.  After it sits a couple of minutes you can hit the on button and it will start up and run for awhile longer and do the same thing.  I have checked all the wire connections and everything is tight.

The on/off switch box has a reset, pressing this button will not reset the motor, it ends up resetting itself.  On the back of the motor is a large square box inside this box contains three capacitors and a reset switch that goes through the box.   Could possibly the reset switch on the motor itself be going bad, or possibly a bad capacitor?  Its a fairly new motor that has not had alot of use.  When using the motor it is not loaded down, I have even just ran it after it reset for a little while without running anything through it and it would stop again. 

If needed I can get a photo of the box that contains the capacitors.  Any ideas on what to creck are appreciated.

Gary_C

I have a 10 HP Baldor on a mixer and one of the wires soldered to the thermal switch was not making a good connection and caused the reset (red button) to trip when the motor was not hot. I went to the local motor repair shop to get another thermal reset and they told me to just bypass the overload. said as long as you have the motor properly fused it is not necessary. He said those thermal overloads failed all the time and they never replaced them.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Lenny_M

If your motor starts and comes up to full speed the caps are probally ok.
You may want to ck the voltage and amp readings to make sure they are ok.
Like gary said. bypassing the motor overload is ok if the motor starter overlods are sized properly.                       Lenny

Thank You Sponsors!