iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Hydraulics

Started by D._Frederick, December 25, 2002, 10:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

You guys with the big mill, I would like to know what kind of hydraulic carriage drive system are you using?  Is it an open or closed system and how do you control the speed? Or are you using hydrostatic drive system? If your hydralics are freezing up, why didn't you get a DC electric carriage drive system?

Tom

You might need to be a little more specific.  What is a Big mill?

We've got fellows that work production circle mills and some with smaller operations, some memebers that have bandsaw mills of verying sizes and some with chainsaws.  

I've got a bandmill with hydraulics and also one with DC motors.  Each has its good and bad points.  My hydraulic mill is open.  I'm not aware of one with a closed system but then I don't know of all of them. My gigging is controlled with a flow control valve.

If you want to find out about bigger mills then Jeff or Ron  can tell you about theirs.  I find this question perplexing.

D._Frederick

Tom,
 Sorry I did not go into more detail. MY idea of a big mill is a mill sawing 20K per day with a half dozen man crew. Ron and Jeff in a posting last week were telling about the cold weather effecting thier  mill hydraulics and I was interested in the design of there system.

Jeff

The hydraulics don't freeze up, they just are stiffer and slower then all get out when the oil is cold. Once the oil warms up no problem.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

David

I guess it's temperaure dependant, but how long would it usually take for the oil to warm up so the hydraulics operate as normal. I see some mills have hydraulic tank heaters.
David

Jeff

I made a lenghty post on the heater somewhere. I'll go see if I can find it. Or I could just say that, yes we have one. But it sdoesnt heat the many, many gallons that are are in the system. In the various hoses pumps and motors, there are also reserve oil chambers built into the mill near various oil thirsty systems like dogs that exchange a lot of oil in a hurry when activated. All this oil gets chilled to air temp over night. when you start the mill all that ultra cold oil dumps back in the tank.  

Our tank heater maintains heat. You would play heck using it to warm up cold oil. It looks like a waterheater element, only its about 30 inches long. :)

Minnesota_boy

Jeff,
If you ran that mill 24 hours a day in the winter, it wouldn't be so hard to warm the hydraulic oil in the morning.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

QuoteJeff,
If you ran that mill 24 hours a day in the winter, it wouldn't be so hard to warm the hydraulic oil in the morning.  ;D

Is your last name Billsby? :o :D

In case you might not have known.I work for Billsby Lumber

Gordon

Do any of you in the far north areas use a synthetic or a semi synthetic oil to help with the cooler temps encountered. The synthetic has a much lower pour point, thats the upside the down side is the added cost per gallon. The added cost alone might prohibit the use of it.

Gordon

ADfields

About all that is used in a hyd systom in Alaska is water cleer arctic oil, I get it with a Chevron lable on it.   It's around 50% more than the plain stuff but you can dump it on the ground and the EPA dont mind it to bad, just kick some snow over it.   I am the power feed, up/down and all on my mill so cant say about sawmills and arctic oil but it's hard to find the other stuff hear.
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!