iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40SHD 96model--purchase questions

Started by amberwood, July 25, 2006, 09:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amberwood

Morning/Evening all.

On Friday I am off to have a look at a 96 model LT40SH, all of the options and Lombardindi Diesel.
It has approx 3500 hours on it.

Can anyone throw me ideas of the trouble spots to look out for?
Weld failures in particular spots?
Specific wear items that I need to check up on $$ and factor into purchase price?

thanks

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

VA-Sawyer

The first thing I would look at on a WoodMizer is the top and bottom rails. These are metal rods about 1" in diameter that run full length of the main frame tube. They are jig welded to the main tube and are considered non-replacable. Major pitting, kinks, gouges or other damage would probably make me pass on the mill. A slight flat side that runs the length of the rod is probably acceptable if it is of fairly consistant width for its entire length. (This is wear from the cam followers.)  Check both the upper and lower rods.
Second area I woud check for difficult to repair problems, is the two vertical tubes that the head raises and lowers on. Measure the distance between the tubes at the top, bottom and middle. They should all measure the same within less than 1/16" .  I have seen these tubes bowed out in the middle, which causes the blade to not stay parallel to the bed as the head is raised or lowered.  Check that the top of the tubes are capped or verify that they are draining properly at their bottoms. They can collect debris and rust internally.
The third area I check is the main bearing. Remove the blade, and the B-57 V-belt from the drive wheel. Have someone partialy apply the clutch so as to release the brake. Now carefully rotate the drive wheel and feel for roughness in the bearings. Try to slide the wheel in and out to check for endplay in the bearing unit.
What is the overall mechanical condition of the mill? Are the various adjustment bolts rusted stuck? Check the ones on the blade roller guides and the ones for adjusting the bed rails. Check the ones on the bottom of the pivoting bed rails.
How does the wiring look?  Is the insulation cracking or peeling in areas of heat or any signs of corrosion in areas where sawdust collects?
Fire it up and listen to the engine. Will the mill saw straight lumber? Use a guage to verify oil pressure after the oil warms up.

If the frame is straight, the vertical tubes are straight and the upper/lower rails are in good condition then I would base my offer on the overall mechanical condition of rest of the mill.  The main bearing assembly is kinda pricey so I check it pretty close. Same with the wire harness.  Engines are always a gamble, they can be running fine one day and 'blow up' the next day.  With 3500 hours, I don't think it likley to be the origional engine. Any idea how many hours are on this one?

That mill should have dual hydraulic pumps on it. You might try disconnecting the wires and running them one at a time to verify the output of each one.

WoodMizers are fairly easy to repair except for the frame items I mention early in the post. Almost everything else that wears out is affordable to replace and or fairly easy to adjust.

I'm sure that there are operators here with specific experience with the lombardindi engines.

Good Luck on your venture.
VA-Sawyer

amberwood

thanks for that ..if there are anymore words of wisdom I am not leaving until the morning...so will have a quick peruse before i go. As if I needed more inspiration.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

BBTom

Other than the main frame rails as VaSawyer said, I would look close at the lombadini deisel.  I have heard that it was not the most durable engine around.  If this one has 3500 hours on it, then it is either a one-of-its-kind or pretty well worn out.  Woodmizer sells engine upgrades, but they are not cheap. look here  REPLACEMENT ENGINE KITS

The main bearing is just under $400 here.  I have been told that most mast uprights are a bit bowlegged ( I know mine are) but I have never measured to see how much. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

amberwood

yes the motor is prob the biggest concern, and the most expensive part to replace.

Fingers crossed. Will report back in tonight.

Thanks again..

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

amberwood

hello all.

It was as advertised. One owner 3600 hrs super Lt40. With a catch.

Lombardini concerns. The engine has never been touched other than to service(head just adjusted and injectors deemed Ok to ignore bu diesel mech). Starts instantly and runs like a swiss watch. no smoke no rattles..I am putting down to 3 things. It has been cutting pine(radiata) for about 3500 of those hours under very little load, it has only had one operator(the owner) and he has reduced service intervals down to 100 hrs for filters and lube.

Chassis. Other than faded paint and a few scrapes looks great. It has lived outside it whole life, but he uses a cover and again it has really only had 20-30 yr pine cut on it. Not exactly pushing the machine for capacity. No wear on the chassis guides and the head was as true as when it was made.
Components. Recently changed guides, pumps have been overhauled once in their life, debarker is on its 3rd wheel etc etc. He buys his spares from the WM rep and that has been confirmed.

Now for the good bit. It comes with work. He has 96 acres of rapidly maturing pine that he currently fells/cuts/kilns and moulds and sells. Too much for one guy. The milling is the part he is "selling"
Details to be finalised but certainly enough to take the stress out the initial purchase. He is flexible enought to take material from weekends only until I get myself organised and escape from the "real" job.

Now I need to spend the rest of the weekend redoing the numbers and business plan for one final check. Then off to get the cash and we are in business!

Thanks for the tips guys..now for the sawdust.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

BBTom

Sounds like a keeper to me, as long as you can make some money sawing that pine.

Good luck with the business plan!! 8)
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

VA-Sawyer

I think that with 3600 hrs on that engine,  you may want to look at your business plan with this worst case situation.... two weeks after you buy the mill, the engine turns to toast. Can you afford a replacement engine? How long till the mill is back up and running ? ( I have no idea how long it would take to get an engine from WM to 'Down Under' and/or 'out back'.)  What will the down time do to your business?
I think I would include the cost of a new engine in the business plan and get it on order. Then you can either change it at a convient time, or run the lambo till it dies and then install the new one. I think I would look hard at the 42 Kubotu or maybe the 51 Cat. I would sure tend to shy away from another Lambo.
VA-Sawyer

PS Do you all have to mount the engines 'upside down ' to get them to run right  down there ?   ???

amberwood

Upside Down!

No just back to front. Yes there are upgrade kits..but if this one went pear shaped I would prob source locally for the engine for those very reasons. Time and delivery costs. My idea, if the engine makes it that far down the business plan if for a 3 phase conversion. With the distance involved between me and the job, and the amount of work he has on offer it would be ideal to leave it up there on electric and buy another complete mill for urban work..maybe a NEW ONE! (Dreaming). Looks like I have the cash sorted thru a family connection (why give interest to the bank when you can keep it in house?) Ideally I will be back up there next week and this time wil ltake the camera out of my pocket. Last time was questioning and listening so hard I forgot!

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

amberwood

Hopefully an easy one..does anyone have a manual handy with the engine model designation for the 40hp lombardini on a 96 super?
I am rummaging thru spares books checking prices for filters and like..waiting on finance confirmation..just making sure I am not up for any surprises.

thanks
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Thank You Sponsors!