iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long to dry SYP?

Started by brdmkr, July 25, 2006, 12:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

How long would you let SYP 2x4s air dry before you would use it for framing?  Is there a general rule of thumb if you don't have a moisture meter?  I did a search, but never really found anything that answered this question.  Of course, I still found a bunch of cool stuff 8) 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

jkj

I think it would be hard to answer because of the variables, including the temperature and humidity.  Without a meter, you can still calculate precise moisture content with the weighing/oven drying method.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

brdmkr

Even with the oven dry and weigh approach it would be nice to have an idea of how long you need to leave it out before you are getting close.  I suppose I could sacrifice a board to see where I am now and then I could get some idea how long I'd need to wait before doing it again.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

beenthere

Look up the procedure in the kiln drying manual, and fix yourself up with a sample board that you take a moisture (oven dry and weigh) sample from in the beginning, then just continue to weigh the sample board to estimate it's moisture content over time. A final moisture sample from that board near the end should put you pretty close to 'smack' on knowing the moisture content.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

I use a  ballpark time of 6-8 weeks.   That is usually enough time in florida to get it to 19%.

Even if they aren't dry, they are dry enough to have developed enough stiffness to hold weight.

DanG

I was gonna say a month and a half to two months, but Tom was pretty close to that, and a couple of days quicker. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!