iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping circle blades

Started by Snag, July 25, 2006, 11:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

Well, I am about to the point of having to send out my first Peterson Blade to get retipped.  My question is, what is common practice as far as packaging them up?  Does USPS handle them or do you prefer other shipping options.  Problem for me is the nearest dropoff place for UPS is about 45 min away.

getoverit

UPS will gladly take them. I assume that the USPS will take them also if packaged properly. The best way is to make sure the whole blade is covered with cardboard, folding the edges over to make a secure hold on the blade, and then double ( or tripple) the cardboard at the outside edges.  I have had no problems at all with shipping them this way.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

brdmkr

ditto GOI.  Just wrap really well in cardboard and send on their way.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Captain

We ship new blades with folded cardboard bumpers all around the edge.  Not Mrs. Captain's favorite activity.

Captain

Part_Timer

1/4" plywood on each side with bolts through it through the holes in the blade.  Seems to work well so far.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Snag

Thanks for the feedback guys...

Part_Timer - Did the saw doctor return the blade the same way or did you sacrifice the plywood?

Captain - could you send me the info on the saw doctor you had mentioned to me?  I seem to have misplaced the contact info/address.  thanks.

jon12345

The place I used to work at got their blades back with some kinda plastic goo stuff over the edges ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

sawguy21

A sharpening shop I once worked for dipped the small blades and router bits in melted plastic then put the blades in cardboard sleeves. The large blades were bolted to plywood with a cutout stapled to it. We shipped a lot by Greyhound and they had no problem with it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Husband

you can also cut an old hose and split it length ways and wrap it around the blade to protect the teeth in transit.

Jeff Meyer

Little tip on the dipped blades.  Make sure you remove the rubber before using the blades.  I left it on the first time and started the mill.  The rubber flew off and hit my partner in the jewls!  Dropped him like a rock.  Last time we did that.  So make sure you pull the rubber off first.

Jeff

Norm

If you're going to ship with UPS use cardboard. They charge extra for any package covering except cardboard.

woodhick

Norm beat me to it.  UPS will charge for anything thats not cardboard.  Trust  me I have been through this a couple of times :o :(.  I tried to find something to ship band blades back and forth to the sharpening service that would hold up better than a cardboard box. Found some heavy fiber drums with removable tops.  Perfect size 19" dia x 20" tall.  Insert 10 blades seal top go to UPS to ship.  Now I already new the fiber drum weighed 6# more than a carboard box and was will to pay for that, but I had to pay $7.50 for a "special package".  I argued and lady said it was because drum was round and not square :o >:(.  I paid it and called my blade guy and he laughed and said he'd been there too.  He threw the drum away and put them back in a box.  I also shipped a planer cutterhead once and built a wooden box to protect it.   With box and head it weighed 76#.  BOOM thats over 70 and UPS gets an oversize charge plus the "special package" charge of $7.50.  I argued "grumble grumble" and told the lady I should have just put in a flimsy box and when it rolled of the shelf of the truck on the drivers foot they could deal with it. :D  Then I asked what if I wrapped the wooden box in cardboard ;).  All that would be fine she said there would be no special charge ???  By then I was so mad I paid the fee and left in a rant.  Now I was fairly polite with the clerk as I know it's not here fault.  I did look up UPS rules and sent an e-mail to there complaint dept.  Never heard from them, but it's plainly stated in there rules about "special packaging"   Sorry rant off. :-\
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Part_Timer

All I had to do was call the saw shop and request that they ship it back in the plywood.  NO problem. 

I used to work for one of the freight companies on 3rd ship breaking freight down.  I know just how much care or lack of is taken with your package.  If it costs me an extra $15.00 to make sure that my$450 micro kerf makes it back and forth safely then so be it.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

jon12345

put the round drum in a sq. box save ya some money  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!