iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Trip out West

Started by Burlkraft, July 25, 2006, 08:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

I just got back from a trip to Grants Pass, Oregon where I met Tinman and his family. I bought his Peterson mill.......Once again sorry Tracy fer emptying out yer garage. For some reason I was way excited to get the mill and I fergot to take any pictures at Tracy's house. >:( >:( >:(

I then went up to Dallas, Oregon to visit with Frank Pender. He was just a hoot and I enjoied the complete tour of his farm and milling operation. I still ask myself......does one guy need 4 miils ??? ???

The answer I always come up with is Heck Yeah ;D ;D ;D

I got the usual over the top hospitality from Frank and his wife that I have experienced with all the forum members that I have come in contanct with. Round trip it was 4860 miles. I drove that in 4 days with a day break inbetween to visit with Frank and get some sleep.

This is the mill loaded up in the trailer...with some extra room.......

The extra room was enough for a couple of Western Big Leaf Maple logs...with some growths on them ;D ;D ;D

What will a guy ever do with these ??? ??? ???

Here's one of Franks live burl trees ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Big fire in Montana :-\ :-\ :-\

Here's Frank by one of his big trees that he has to cut down or loose it in a slide :o :o

Thanks again to Tracy and Frank and always remember that if yer in this neck o the woods....feel free to stop by ;D ;D

Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

That's great. Thanks for the pix.
We'll look forward to hearing of the lumber-making, burl-cutting, first-board sawn, and sawing-tales in the future. Also those pictures  :)  (need to invent a built-in digital camera in a FF hat that is always available and handy to snap pix at the spur-of-the-moment, when lugging a camera along just doesn't seem to work out).

Did you make that marathon trip alone? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Yup......... just me and the old Chevy  ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

Been on then marithon trips before, once goin and once come'n. ;D

It's good that ya shared a few pics so we can see some of the left hand coast since alot of the members are camera shy in those parts. ;D

Why didn't ya ask Frank what that loggers tape was for on his hip, I'm sure it weren't for ballast was it?  :) ;D ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

SD
You know those 'old' loggers fall over raht now, if they don't have that tape on their side. :) Whether ballast or balance, they gotta have it on.
Followed a many of them around in the woods over the years, near always after a long, long dusty ride on dry logging roads behind their pickup truck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Part_Timer

Burlkraft

Congrats on the new mill.  It sound to me like ya had a great trip. 

Are you still planning on coming down to the demo?

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Burlkraft

PT,

I'll be there.........

Although Jill is not too happy that I will be gone again..It ends up that I was home just 6 days in the last month >:( >:( >:(

Part_Timer

Steve bring Jill with you. Her and Kate can visit while we work with the mill.  As long as she doesn't mids dogs or a cat we're good.

I can offer a fold out futon for the two of you in the family room.  That's the best I can do with the remodeling going on here but your welcome to it.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Burlkraft

PT,

Jill has made it VERY clear that I shouldn't even be going. I am going to miss out on the 1st. birthday party for the son of a girl she USED to work with ::) ::) ::)

Frankly....I'm pretty DanG glad that it is on the same day ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the offer but I'll be drivin' down and back.........I guess after this last trip it's just a short jaunt to your place :D :D :D

I cut my first log on the mill tonight. I had a 12" oak log that was a blow down and I threw that on and got the feel of the mill....so I'm not  a swingmill virgin anymore..... ;) ;)
I already got some questions.....There have been adjustments made that I'm not sure are correct. I'll be writin' them down as I think of them so be prepaired bat_smailey bat_smailey laugh_at laugh_at smiley_furious smiley_furious

tlooney

Burlkraft, I think I saw you wave as you zoomed by me. I am just about 25 miles east of interstate 5 in between Grants Pass and Dallas. I could have shown off one of them other brand swing mills that I happen to own.

Maybe next time.

tlooney
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Burlkraft

Did ya see me ??? ??? ??? ???

I'm sure I waved......at least twice :D :D :D

That is some beeutiful country you guys are livin' in there......

I'm pretty jealous.......so many nice trees ;D ;D ;D

Maybe I can catch ya on the return trip. The AAW turning symposium is in Portland next year so I'll be makin' the trip again ;D ;D

tlooney

Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Oregon_Sawyer

Burlkraft:

I can't beleive Frank didn't bring you over the hill to see me with my LT70.  I am just 10 miles north of him.

In fact I just took my mill over to Frank's to show him how to break everything in one weekend.  ie, two flat tires, one wheel, two hydrolic hoses and a computor board.  That was a fun weekend.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

SwampDonkey

Gee boys, it much we a really rough place at Franks. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Loren,

Frank problly woudda took me places...but I was on a tight schedule. I was in Grants Pass at 9:00 ta get my mill and at Franks by about 1:00. I got the tour of the operation and the farm and then a quick shower at the hotel and it was out for prime rib digin1 musteat_1 pepsi_smiley

I had to leave about 4:30 the next mornin' :( :( :(

We are comin' back tho.....The AAW turning symposium is in Portland next year 8) 8)

We're gonna take a few days ta visit Frank and Alice so maybe we'll have some time fer visitin' then ;D ;D ;D

Huh.....nuthin' got broke while I was there...actually we fixed a couple a things smiley_smash smiley_smash smiley_smash

Part_Timer

Awh how much fun could it a been ifin ya didn't break anything. :D
Peterson 8" ATS.

Thank You Sponsors!