iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trash in carb or clogged filter

Started by brdmkr, July 24, 2006, 09:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

The mill is getting flakey on me.  It runs fine, and then just stops.  I am sure that it is something with the fuel supply.  If I catch it quick enough and hit the choke, it will sometimes 'catch up' and keep running.  However, it does not cough or sputter or otherwise act up.  It just acts like the fuel supply is suddenly cut off.  Does this sound like a clogged filter, trash in the carb, or something else that I am not thinking about.  I can't tell that there is any pattern to the problem (i.e., it doesn't seem to matter whether the engine is hot or cold, under a load or not, etc.).  It is agervatin!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

It sounds mostly like water in the float bowl to me.  Trash will do that too.  Sometimes a failing fuel pump will do it.   That's experience I've had, generically, with small engines, not the one on your mill specifically.

Don_Papenburg

Check the fuel tank .  Trash in there can get josseled around and stop up the flow then float away only to come back later.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

wiam

I have seen a sticky float valve cause that.

Will

tlooney

On my 827 there is a drain on the bottom of the fuel tank for water or what ever. Might be a good idea to drain the fuel and start over with fresh. (that is if you have not done that yet. Just an idea)
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

brdmkr

I have a 618.  I have looked it over pretty good and I did not see an easy way to drain the tank sort of disconnecting the fuel line.  It really looks like it is going to be a bit of a pain just to change the filter.  I can see no way to get to the filter without removing the fuel tank.  I need to find a schematic of the engine as even removing the tank does not appear to be straight-forward.  maybe once I get started it will come apart easy enough.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Getting it apart will be easy.  Getting it back together might be a bit dodgy, though. ;D

When I have one of these little mystery problems, I always start with the easiest/cheapest place it could be.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

brdmkr

Dan, I'm not so sure that it will come apart that easily!  There are some bolts that seem to come from inside the fuel tank that attach to a tapped bracket.  I am tempted to take off the whole bracket instead of just the tank as those bolts seem a little strange to me.

scsmith42

CLEAN YOUR CARB FIRST!

If the engine recovers when you choke it, it is pulling extra fuel from the carb float bowl.  If your filter was plugged (or tank inlet for that matter), the float bowl would be empty and the choke would not make a difference.  The fact that the choke does make a difference indicates that you have fuel in the carb.

This sounds to me like your primary jet circuit is clogged.  To fix it, remove the carb and spray it out thoroughly with carb cleaner.  Use air pressure to blow through all of the orfices, alternating spraying the carb cleaner through them with blowing them out with compressed air.  Make sure that they are all open and flowing.

Also make sure that any crud is removed from your float bowl, and that the needle valve is clean and working freely.

Put some drier in your fuel to break up any water so it will flow out.

Good luck.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Slabs

Not being familiar with your mill I pose these questions.

Does your mill have a fuel pump?

Are there any fittings, especailly quick-disconnect types that may have a leak problem?

The probability of the pump "suckin air" instead of a steady source of fuel may be the source of the problem.  I've replaced a couple of "O-rings" on Misers in the tank fittings that caused an air induction instead of steady fuel.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Captain

I'll echo Scott and Slabs, and add one more thing....lack of ventilation in the fuel tank.  Need air to replace the fuel that leaves...common problem on boat style fuel tanks with air vents that open and close.  We've got them on the forestry truck, nothing like a pump shutting down while you're attacking a rapid moving fire line....

Captain

brdmkr

Thanks for all of the comments.  I hope to look into things this weekend.  I wish I thougt this was going to be an easy job, but I don't think it will be.  Everything is pretty cramped and lots of pieces will have to come off to get to the carb, filters, etc.  Still, I have to do something.

wiam

I do not know what engine you have but I have seen engines with a vaccum activated fuel pump do some funky things with the oil overfilled.

Will

brdmkr

Will,

I may need to check that.  I just changed the oil and I put in the full 48 oz.  If I did not get a  complete drain, it could be overfilled.  That would be great if that were the culprit.

Thank You Sponsors!