iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade wood lathe

Started by highpockets, July 23, 2006, 06:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

I've been kind of kicking around the idea of building a wood lathe.  I have a pretty well equipped machine shop but haven't fooled with wood in a long time.  I know there is someone out there that has built a wood lathe so I figure why redesign the wheel.  I like photos.  Thanks
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

mike_van

I made a bowl lathe, 300 lb. or so - I guess you could add a bed & tailstock -  I have to move some "stuff" to get a pic of it though - tomorrow>
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

woodhick

I built my own lathe several years ago.  Not really much to it if you can turn the shafts.  I have drawings somewhere for the shafts I had made if you want I can dig them up.  I used 1" shafts and threaded them at 8 tpi  which is a standard wood lathe thread so I could use standard delta and jet attachments.   I wish I had used 11/2" shafts but mine have been heavey enough.  I built the bed to turn 4' long and made an extension to turn 8' long if I wanted.  Although I never have.  Actually I haven't used the lathe as much as I would like too.   You know how it is never enough time :D.  I will try to post a picture of it.

Admin Note. Please use Forestry Forum Gallery. Linking to photos outside of the forestry forum galleries is not allowed.

I am consider a wide belt sander now but just don't have the time. :( 
If I can help you in any way let me know.  Like I said above the shafts are 1" with a 3/8" bore clear through and #2 morse tapers and threaded 1"x8tpi.   Headstock spindle runs in two flange bearings with a 4 step pulley araingment to adjust speed.  I want to put a three phase motor and a vfd drive on it sometime but like I said I really don't get time to use it much.    Good luck with yours.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

jkj

Also check on woodcentral.com.  There is a dedicated woodturning forum there and some people have built lathes.  The archives should have past discussions.  The most common reason to build your own lathe seems to be to get one that will handle REALLY big wood.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

Onthesauk

Fine Woodworking magazine has had a couple of articles over the years on building your own lathe.  The one that sticks in my my mind was a massive one for turning large bowls.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

jrokusek

Snag

Anyone build a mini-lathe?  I guess I could build one and wing it, probably just have to find the rpm's and such....

Modat22

I started making all the casting forms for a Gingery lathe but ended up buying a smithy. If you like building stuff the gingery books are pretty fun reads. Some of the illustrations are kinda hard to follow but not hard to figure out.

Dave Gingery books got me started in green sand casting.
remember man that thy are dust.

Snag

Modat22 - that sounds real interesting.  I did a bit of research on the Dave Ginery books and couldnt quite put my finger on which one to check out first.  Do you have a recommendation?

Modat22

The gingery books build up like a foundation.

Start with the charcoal foundry book, then the lathe book.

The lathe book will talk about making molds and using a small 1 liter melting furnace to make all the parts from the lathe.

Then the mill book followed by the shaper.

If a person knows a little bit about mold making and green sand casting just buy the lathe book. I learned much from just reading the books and building the forms, Never did cast them.

Since then I've gotten out of green sand and moved toward lost foam casting, Its easier and less messy.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!