iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garage door springs

Started by Joebob, July 23, 2006, 10:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joebob

Hi all;
           Started building sawmill. I'm at the stage where I'm working on the gar. door spring lift. I saw some threads on it, but not much detail. The saw head is about 300 lbs. Norwood has a setup like that, & it works a treat, although the head is lighter. I'm using one spring 3" dia. x 30" long.I saw another setup using 2 springs (bout 15" ea. on the same shaft), & it was said to work on a 300# head. My sawhead is'nt quite right, & it's wound scarry tight. Anyone done this? It would be nice to have more details, if anyone has any, like size, direction of winding, ect.Being a two finger typer, it would be good to have phone #'s. Haven't figured how to send photos yet, so I have to poke around some more Great site!

Joebob
Joebob

willknot

Hello Joebob and welcome to the forum. I looked into garage door springs a little, I talked to an installer and showed him what I was thinking of doing. He said no problem and that I should call him with the weight of my head when I was ready and he would order a custom spring for me that would give me near nuetral weight. The cost wasn't bad either, he mentioned that it would be around $75.00. He also said you had to be very careful when you wound them( kinda count your fingers before and after,you don't want to end up a one finger type :D). You might want to make a call to a local installer and see what he has to say. Good luck!

Willknot

Joebob

Hi Will;
             Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of finding something suitable in the junk from gar. door replacements. got some nice stuff before, but had'nt talked to anyone at the time. The photo I saw before, used 2 springs, anchored in the middle, but thats the only info I have.I think I'm going to go that route & talk to some gar. door guys.

Joebob
Joebob

beenthere

Am I right in assuming you are talking about a torsion spring (or two) ???

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Joebob

Been;
             Yes. , torsion springs, probably two on the same shaft, bout 18" ea.
Joebob

Joebob

Will;
            Found a couple awsom sites for gar. door springs; www.truetex.com/garage.htm  &  www.garage-door-springs.com/garage.htm    Lots of info there to figure your spring sizes,if you can make the formulas work, & a place to buy springs. I talked to a gar. door guy, & he would design a spring, probably using the same info., for bout $100. If I can't   use the spring info, I may have to go see him.

Cheers
                                                                                       Joebob
Joebob

slowzuki

I had a pair of them on my carriage on the same shaft with a pulley block on the sawhead to double the pull and it still seemed like the springs were wound awful tight.  I took them off and went with acme threaded rod which the steel acme nuts are presently shreding.  I can't find brass acme nuts anywhere in Canada and they are 60$ each in the us!

Joebob

Slow;
             What sizes were your springs i.e. ID, wire size,& length? From the info. I've been collecting lately, it seems dooable. Acme nuts are expensive, but $60 ea. sounds way too much. Did you check McMaster  Carr ?

Joebob
Joebob

Thank You Sponsors!