iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garage...build or rebuild?

Started by David B, July 22, 2006, 11:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David B

I'm a 4x4 enthusiast, need a place to wrench on the truck when it's 120 Farenheit outside. I have a single car garage in the back, but it's too low. Water pools on the floor when it rains (rarely), and I think my truck will barely fit in if it does at all. It's also old, 2x4 construction, and poorly insulated, if at all. My idea is to open the walls on the inside, raise the whole building, and pour a new footing/floor over the old one. Then scab in 2x6 studs and insulate the heck out of it, same thing in the roof. Has a ceiling/attic, but think I might remove it for more headroom. The PO also closed up the garage door, so I'll have to install a new (very well insulated) one. Either all that, or tear the whole thing down and rebuild... Recommendations? What do you guys think?
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

isawlogs

I would take the thing down and start from scratch . Been there done that and would not do it again .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

What about codes, will you have problems tearing it down and rebuilding?
The old one should be grandfathered in, but I'd start over if possible.

David B

Recommendations for inexpensive very well insulated construction methods?

Thanks guys  ;D

isawlogs

Do what my neibourgh does ...  use mine   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

David B

Yeah, well, actually...I'm the foreman in my family's machine and welding shop. I can do anything I could want to my truck there. But I want something air conditioned and at home closer to the family.

isawlogs

I built mine two years ago . used 2X6 for the walls and 2X8 for the ceiling joist . I put R20 in the walls ands R30 in the ceiling , I wraped it in tyveck outside and vapour barriered the inside , I also have a 12 X 8 foot door , I dont have air conditionning buit it is rather cool in there to work in . Then again the snow has only been gone for a few months .  :D :D

Marcel

Don_Papenburg

Here is my take on it . After starting a new house my taxes have tripled and they plan on raising them more .  I would rebuild if it is large enough or just add on if more room is needed .  I know that it is sometimes more of a hassle to rebuild .   

conventional framing with blown in dense pack cellulios insulation is about the best that you can get .  It has very good fire retarding properties .  Probably the best at slowing the advancement  of flame .  because it does not let air flow through readly like fiberglass, it does not need vapour barrier (great for remodel)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

rebocardo

I would tear it down and start over. If you have a good slab, I would not rule out ICF, especially if it is attached to a house (sounds like the PO made it a bedroom?).

Ed

As others have said, tear it down & build a new one.
My neighbor just did that. He had a 24x24 garage that was a disaster, sagging roof, busted concrete floor, leaning walls......
He now has a beautiful 30x40 garage, all insulated, drywalled & painted.

Ed

slowzuki

Tear it down and start over.  Go to www.pirate4x4.com in the forums section and to the shops and tools section.  All kinds of shop builds over there with neat ideas like sinking 2x2 receivers in the floor for vice and grinder pedastals.  Tips on lighting and all sorts of stuff.

treecyclers

Being an avid off roader myself, and having faced your dilemma before, I strongly recommend that you start from scratch, for a couple reasons.
First, you'll get exactly what you want tempered by your wallet's ability to fund it.
Second, you won't have to scab or improvise to get things to work, and hope that it lasts.
Our rigs aren't cheap, and they're a constant work in progress.
Tool and parts storage is essential, as is plenty of space for wrenching on it, and the potential for upgrading tools as funding allows, to make the repairs easier and faster.
You might be able to reclaim some of the materials from the existing shop to put into the new one, which would help reduce your costs, but take care to use the best that you can afford.
Being in the Republik of Kalifornia and their insane building code requirements doesn't help either.
But that's a whole other nightmare.
Good luck!
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

J_T

Someplaces it is easeyer and cheper it get a remodel permit . If you are a good planer you could tare it all down but the front wall and build that far then replace it last . I owned a house in a town that if you tore it down you could not put a new one back on that lot  ::) But you could remodel it any way you wanted to  ???
Jim Holloway

firecord

All the material used in my shop was a gift from contractors, I met here and there.
[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/i109/firecord/P1010174.jpg[/img]

[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/i109/firecord/P1010216.jpg[/img]

The only things I had to buy were welding rods and concrete! :D

Thank You Sponsors!