iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any Motocross Racers or Hare Scrambler racers here? Quads too.

Started by weimedog, July 22, 2006, 08:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Any Motocross Racers or Hare Scramber types here?

We hosted an Atlantic Grand Prix event a week ago. Lots of fun had by all. There is coverage at "www.quadzone.com" under "The Logan Farm", "www.cyclenews.com" in regional events, Atlantic Grand Prix, and Thumoertalk.com is the NorthEastern Riding areas.

Also the Atlantic Grand Prix Series has their own web page. www.atlanticgrandprix.com for those North Eastern MX & Hare Scrambles racers looking for a new series. The traks aren't as hard core as the typical WYNOA Harescrambles, and all natural terrain; unlike the MX tracks leaning towards Super Cross. Just a 7 mile long Natural Terrain track much like those you might see in a western Hare Scrambles type event.

Why do I post this here?

Wonder if our place might be adequate for a logging event. Personally I would love to have a vintage saw get together. Maybe a swap meet with some fun events. In addition to the Horse Trails(Motorcyle trails), we have around 100 acres of timber. Think we can find something to use for fun & games.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Tom

Yep!  Motocross was a European thing when I was racing but I've been around a TT Scramble track a time or two and love short track.    Old Try Hard Fast Tom.  I've been known to ride a little dirty when necessary to keep from being last.   Almost took out the judges stand in Atlanta one Sunday afternoon.

It was serious business in middle and north Georgia  in the 60's.  Then we found enduros.  Now that's fun!!   What a way to get dirty.

www.tomssaw.com and look for motorcycle pictures.  8) ;D

SwampDonkey

Ummmm...... ;)  Tom's been around the track a few times. ;D

We never did no racing here, but everyone had some Honda XL's or XR's as kids.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Pete J

Only about 30 years worth of racing here. I've spent most of my life racing Enduros and Hare Scrambles in the NETRA series that covers all of New England. Back when I was in my 20's I was ranked #6 Expert in New England and #14 National Amateur. Nowaday's I just putz around the course in the senior class just getting in the way of the fast guys. I'm still fast enough though to show them youngsters a wheel when I need to.

I'm pretty proud to say I've ridden with some of the best riders in the world and it is a real thrill to actually ride with your childhood heroes. Malcolm Smith, Dick Burleson, Kevin Hines and Doug Henry are just a few.

p.s. I've always leaned towards the KTM brand. My current bike is a KTM 520 MXC. Maybe someday, I'll head up to an event at your place.

weimedog

Sounds like we are peers....I guess my first race was in 1972 and my last was in 2001. Most of my time was during the eighties running either Open expert or 250 expert classes. I certainly wasn't going to set the world on fire but I had fun. My last race was an AHMRA H&H National Harescrambles in Milliken Colorado where I won my class and took 3rd overall.  The guy right behind me was a fellow named Jeff Smith at that race riding a Can-Am. I also ran my VOR's and a vintage Husky in the senior or open class at local VDR track Harescrambles and RMEA Harescrambles/Enduro's out there with some success. Current rides include a 2002 VOR 450, 2001 VOR 503, and my favorite is my 1979 KTM420! Most of my racing was motocross either in the district 34 and district 6 areas of the east coast or harescrambles in Colorado. Trying to reproduce a "Colorado" style hare scrambles event here to give the local enduro/hare scramblers something a little more fun while also attracting some MX'ers to give this natural terrain style of track a try here in Central New York State....

We are going to have another race promoted by Atlantic Grandprix here this coming weekend (8-19-06 bikes and 8-20-06 quads). Should be fun. I'm trying to widen our road to make things better. The "quad" crowd have big trucks with lots of "bling-blings" don't want to scratch them on the trees! Lots of willows to work on with the vintage saw collection...wish I had a little help and also with getting the 8 or so miles of trail trimmed & tuned up. So far its my ferrier (we are a horse farm primarily), a friend or two and ME! I have been focused on road improvements while Norm has been re-arrowing the trails.

Lots of work for two or three guys with full time jobs OTHER than here.

Still think it would be fun to put on a vintage saw get together / swap meet or something. Thats were my heart is anymore. Raced until I can't race anymore so the saws are "scratching" the mechanical itch.

Interestingly enough we have a former Womens World Champion logger right here in town..and we've never met. Saw her at a demo locally at a place five miles down the road called "Hope Lake" a couple of years back....small town where no one really knows who's across town!

As a side note, after the last race I donated money to the Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adaption Program, an organization dedicated to placing retired race horses in good homes. I plan to benefit them again after this race. Thats our primary function here as well...to "rehab" ex race horses and give them a chance at another life. (Kinda like converting "to tired to triple" ex moto guys to cross country type events??)

Racing is racing.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Pete J

It sounds like you are a busy guy, or a least someone who has his hands full.

Those VOR machine you ride are pretty exotic, no? I've heard of them but never seen one. Some type of Italian, handmade work-of-art? You must feel guilty getting them dirty.

weimedog

Just having lots of fun living life. Wish I had started earlier. Spent too many years traveling playing the high tech game going no where fast. (Computer stuff). NOW have..A
Wonderful supportive wife...kids are going up and out. Airforce, Navy, two in Colorado, one playing Polo and will be on the Squad at that big red college just west of here this year. One here helping until she graduates highschool.
Simplistic job to allow for building our farm.
Hay for 15 horses & Wood to heat the place and mill for building stalls & barn stuff.
Rehab time for those retired racing ponies (Thoroughbreds)& general horse activites.
Maintaining our trail system for the girls.
Work with my vintage saws (my current favorite pass time)
Ride the motorcycles.
Odd jobs with the Backhoe & other tractors to keep from rusting on heavy equipment.
I guess thats enough.

VOR was a great little company with a tradgic end. They were building bikes ahead of their time and where doing very well. They actually won two ISDE's back to back around 2002. Unheard of for a start up company. They then invested heavily in a USA effort and the fellow who was in charge dies of cancer. They basically supported him from the time he was diagnosed to the time he passed away. Those costs along with the distraction backrupt the company and they went away. I actually helped them at that time and had to take care of that unreal situation. Heart & gut wrencher. Toughest thing I ever did.

There are a few VOR's out there and parts are not all that hard to find if you know where to look. They are a tough bike. My freind who helps with the trails has an '01 400 with 3 seasons of hard Harescrambles along with tons of trail time and it hasn't been apart yet. He's a B level guy and uses it now. The only models to avoid were the 530 e-starts as they came with too small a main bearing. They later upgraded and as with all VOR stuff you can retro the new bearing to the old motors. Fun to work with because you can mix and match parts to build a dream motor with a really nice chassis.....if you like the way Honda's handle you will like the 2002 and later VOR's.

Not really exotic. Just an odd ball that worked really well setup right and are way better that the main stream opinion. I like them. As they get really cheap on ebay..i'll start picking up the bits and peices I need. They were built to ride hard so thats what I do with mine. Have a 2001 503 I'm sticking together with some neat stuff that was the first in the V-cross series and was built for me my VOR back in the fall of 2000. Amazing old bike.

Back to saws...

blueox

Personally I hate Motocross...as a Mother it SCARES ME TO DEATH!!

My daugter has been racing for 3 years! She had an 85 KTM and now has a 125 Yamaha....SHE KICKS BUTT....She usually takes 1st in her female division, she races at Rider Hill in Derby VT. This weekend she visited a new track in NH...took 1st in the womans and 12th  in the boys.

But as  a mom....ughhh...I've watched her dump it, after getting the hole shot, get run over by  a couple bikes, get back up and take 4th....proudly wearing the black and blue tread marks of the bikes that ran her over....black and blues over the back of her thighs, up over her butt and across her back....I've watched her dump it after clearing her table tops....and this summer she cracked her shoulder blade during practice and was racing 4 weeks later!!!!

I wish she would start doing ballet!!!

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Tom

Ah yes! Motocross.  It's addictive.

Motocross was still a European sport when I was racing.   I cut my teeth on TT Scrambles.  What a trip!!

The rules for TT scrambles in a nutshell:

The track must be prepared and longer than 1/8th of a mile, have at least one jump and at least one right-hand turn.

Our "prepared" tracks were more like a wide clay road.  To ride TT you had to be part miler, part short-tracker, part enduro rider and part motocross.   The longer the track, the faster the race.  Races were counted in laps rather than time.

There are some pictures of TT Scrambles on my website.

weimedog

Here is a link to a helmet cam video of the pro race we had here...Chris Borich won. Neat Video.

http://www.thequadbuilder.com/videos/Logan%20Farm.wmv

At that web site they also have another Video of another race at our place and a whole bunch of pictures.

AND now the www.atlanticgrandprix.com site has a story, and pictures of the Motorcycle event...

(I can't remember if i posted these already or not...OLD TIMERS desease!!!)

HARLEYRIDER

Just went to northern maine Atv riding...PI caribou, van buren, st agathe, ft kent, madawaska, .....pretty much all over.
here's some video from the weekend      http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1947942450403115519
Greenwoods Timberworks

Mooseherder

Nice Harleyrider. We were just up there on the same trails.
Our camp isn't too far from the Reservoir, Moose Bridge, Split Cedar Trail and Log Cabin you were at. Did you make it up to Camp # 10 in Frenchville on the way to Fort Kent?
What a trail.

Thank You Sponsors!