iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No Aid to Woodlot owners for Tornado damaged woodlots.

Started by SwampDonkey, July 22, 2006, 07:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Two small twisters touched down in northern Carleton County earlier this month, damaging almost 1,100 acres of woodland.

However, Public Safety Minister Wayne Steeves said Thursday that the woodlot owners do not qualify for disaster relief.

"It's an assistance program to give you the bare necessity to get you back on your feet," Steeves said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2006/07/21/nb-tornado.html

Basicly, if your not left destitute, then no aid to cleanup the mess.  >:( And the report is correct in that the woodlot owner will get next to nothing for stumpage because it's such a entanglement. A contractor just couldn't pay regular stumpage to operate in those conditions.

Also, not mentioned are the little critters that like to make a living chewing up the wood, which makes it even more critical the salvage the wood.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VA-Sawyer

I can't help but wonder if Mr. Steeves would be saying the same thing if it was his woodlot that was hit.

beenthere

I'm thinkin it's gotta be a tough call as to where to draw the line with aid.
If 1100 acres qualified, would 100?  If 100, would 10?   If 10, would 1?  If 1 acre, would one tree (I had two last week)?
Where does it stop? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!