iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard Maple in the summer?

Started by oakiemac, July 20, 2006, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

A guy called me the other day about buying some trees that he was taking down for a housing development. He had no idea what type or if they were any good so I went out and looked at them. Well it turns out that he is building a development in a small but really mature and nice looking Beech-Maple woodlot. He is only taking out part of the trees in order to put house up but they are dandys. The hard Maple are about 18-20" dbh and straight for the first 30'. Some of the Beech are awesome as well.
We have kind of agreed on a price and I am going to pick them up next week. The only thing I'm not sure about is sawing Maple in the summer. I have always tried to saw maple in the winter or early spring but with this hot weather I'm afraid the lumber might stain.
One thought I had was to anchor seal the logs real good and store them in the woods, possibly covering them with tarps until cooler weather. Another idea was to saw the logs right away then get it into the kiln green with no air dry time. I kind of hate doing that because it seems easy to screw up green lumber in the kiln.
Does anyone else saw Mape in the summer? What is your suggestions?

BTW, if anyone wants some of these logs I can bring them to the piggy roast and you can take them home with  you.;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ianab

QuoteAnother idea was to saw the logs right away then get it into the kiln green with no air dry time.

I think that would be the best plan, the drying conditions are controlled in the kiln and you shouldn't have any problems if the kiln is running to the right schedule.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

I'd look for any veneer value first.  The price of veneer is better than sawing them into boards. The value of hard maple is right up there with cherry.  If they're not veneer, then saw them.

The wholesalers have been buying white woods all summer long.  They stick it, put it in pre-dryers, then kiln it.  They don t seem to have any problems with stain.

There is also a "Kilz" brand of anti-stain that can be put onto boards.  Its expensive, but we can deadpile boards with no stain for a few weeks.  They don't like it on maple, as it has something to do with their finishes.  However, there are some other brands as well.  A good sawmill supply rep should be able to give you the details.

Many years ago, veneer wasn't bought in the summer months, due to export sales.   We went and buried some of the logs, just to see how well they kept.  Several months underground and all that had to be done was to trim the ends up.  But, these were white oak, and maybe a few ash.  Hard maple had no marketplace at the time and was considered a low value hardwood. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Skip

I just last week sawed up a big hard maple for a customer stickered  and stacked it waiting for him to pick it up. Turned out great , I would not hesitate on getting the logs. Around here hard maple logs are getting an avg of  about $ 500 a mbf. according  to WV timber market report.

oakiemac

Ron, Thanks for reminding me of veneer. I see those great logs and want to saw them all but it doesn't make sense if you have a veneer log.
I will find out next week how big the hearts are in the logs when they have them taken down.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

bberry

Maple will degrade from a fungal stain if you wait. Saw it quickly, sticker it and protect the ends and it will be very nice.

Back40x2

I agree with ron,  Rock/Sugar maple is The most Highly paid for wood in the state of Maine right now.  As a matter of fact, I fairly certain that its at an all time high :o   AAAA veneer is at 3000.00 per 1000!!!! 8) 8) 8)  V-1 logs are going for 1750.00 per 1000!

Good luck!
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

oakiemac

Well I got the logs on Thursday. Three of them look really nice, very straight butt logs about 18-20" dib. The hearts weren't too big either but the very center pith is rotten on a few. He only dropped about 600bf but more is coming.
He had one log that was 53"  measured at the butt. It was huge!! I wanted to saw that one up badly but the poor old Bobcat just looked at that old log and whimpered. It would take a crane to pick that bad boy up.

After reading what you all have suggested here is what I am thinking of doing.
1) Sell any veneer logs out right.
2) Anchor seal the log ends.
3) Saw the rest up in the next week and put it in the kiln right away.

We'll see how this turns out. :)

Thank You Sponsors!