iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check out the load of firewood my friend brought me

Started by Hoop, July 20, 2006, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoop

thecfarm

Go to,Behind The Forum and check out the first post,Posting Pictures.Copy it off and just fellow directions.It's not WAY to hard.It looks like a lot at first,but you do it a few times and it's easy.I got my wife to use it on her forum and blog.Check out my gallery.I have 4 pictures in there.I'm learning too.Now if someone will tell me how to make a link for the above, instead of what I did,it will help me out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom

Go to that post that you mentioned.

highlight the address bar window.   You should see that the right side of that URL in the window should contain the post number of the post.

On your keyboard, hit cntrl and C at the same time.  This puts the highlighted info on the computer's clipboard.

Now go to where you want to use the  URL.
open a Reply window on the forum.
See the 5th from the left icon that looks like a world globe?  click it.

A window will open that asks for the URL.  hit cntrl and V at the same time (this will paste the url ing the window.  You can also right click and choose "paste".

The next window will ask for a title.  This is what you want to call it.

When you make your post ( you can also do a preview) the URL will be displayed as what is called a hyperlink.  It will be the address imbedded inside of your title.

thecfarm

Tom,I'm trying to do this.First question.Where do I highlight the address bar window?I go to the Posting Pictures post, but don't know what a address bar window is.I have window XP here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom

Click on the title of the post (first)

Then go to the address window at the top of the windows XP page where it will say https://forestryforum.com/board.php/dadadadaddaddad

(that window always shows where your computer is pointed)

when you click this window, that type's background will turn blue.  That means that you have highlighted it.  You can also Left-click on one side of type and drag the mouse across the type as you hold the left mouse button down.  that will high light it as well.

Next do the cntrl C thing.

DanG

I'd be glad to do all of that, but I've done forgot what y'all wuz tryin' ta do. ??? ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Hoop

I am not about to go through all that nonsense just to post a photo or two. 

If anyone wants to see the photos, click on the link on my profile. 

Dan_Shade

it's not non-sense.  it's a bit of a hassle if you don't know the process, maybe, but it's quite simple, actually.

the photo procedures on this board add to the value of this board.  you can look at photos from years ago and not have to worry about dead photo links.  you can't do that on many other boards.

there is no link in your profile at this time.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

I went for years without posting pics. I finally commited to learning it (I printed out the instructions) and now I can fully share insights/ info / and neat stuff. Come back when you have some time, you won't regret it. Once learned it takes maybe 5 minutes to scan optimize and put 5 photos in my gallery for use.

Reid

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

I have reconsidered the PUBLIC posting of my remarks, removed them and sent them as an instant message.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Hoop on July 22, 2006, 11:19:25 AM
I am not about to go through all that nonsense just to post a photo or two. 

If anyone wants to see the photos, click on the link on my profile. 

Posting photos and sharing the descriptions and such about them is part of what we do here. I know that some folks don't have the software or the knowledge to get the photos ready and posted in here, but if your willing to learn by reading about the procedures, then make use of the freebie photo program suggested, and then ask questions about something you don't understand. You can do it as easily as the rest of us. You will soon realize it isn't nonsense. And if you're on a dialup (modem) connection you'll also like the idea you don't have to load 500 kb plus images off posts. Just go to the Tree ID thread and open up the second thread in there and see all the images that are displayed, now think if they were are all 500 kb images. ARGG!!  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I finally got it figured out.posting photos             I forgot I hide the address bar.Thank-you for your help.   

Furby

VA-Sawyer

All I came here for was to see the pictures of that load of firewood.   ::)

asy

Hey Boss, is there a prize for the most Bizzarre forum post???

Oh, and Hoop, disregarding the advice of my mum (about not saying anything at all if ya ain't got something nice to say), I must admit, I was a little offended by your comment "I am not about to go through all that nonsense just to post a photo or two. " It's sorta like saying "well you guys aren't worth the two minutes it's going to take me to load the photo". I understand that's probably not what you meant it to seem like, but, I've learned (the hard way  :-\ ) that ya gotta read your words without intonation to see what everyone else is going to make of them.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Qweaver

Hey Asy,  lighten up a little on Hoop.  I've got to side with him on the posting pictures hassle.  I'm posting pictures often in my cabin thread.  I'm reasonably good with computers and I find that it's about 30 to 45 minutes from popping the memory chip into the computer to clicking the post button with two or three pics in the post and the accompanying text.  Getting the pics to a postable size and resolution is the main time burner.  I fully understand the need for controlling the size of the images...but it is a time consuming process.  So much so, in fact,  that I'm going to give up on my "Building a cabin in the mountains" thread and move it to a Blog.  As soon as I have the time to learn how to do it, that is.  :D 
To post the occasional pic is OK.  But to post many on a regular basis is a drag.

No offense intended and I do love this forum...but it' "just the facts Ma,am". 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Fla._Deadheader

Gotta get in here. It is NOT a long time delayed deal to do the photos. If you have a good optimizer program, you can do a BUNCH of photos in 30 minutes. Sorry, you guys ain't gettin off that easy. Took all of us a little time to learn it, but, that's part of being a part of this wonderful place.

Not trying to start a fight, just get yer attention.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

wiam

DanG

Qweaver, I agree we shouldn't rag on ol' Hoop too bad.  He was probably just frusterized.

We need to take a look at your photo sizing technique though, if it's taking you that long.  Are you using the xat program?  I can crop, resize and compress a pic in less than a minute with it.  The other day when I posted that pic of the big screw I hit with the saw, it took less than 5 minutes from the camera till I had it posted.

Also, if the file sizes were unlimited on here, I wouldn't even be able to look at most of the pics because of my slow pokey dial-up connection.  A 500kb pic takes about 5 minutes to load. :-\  I've been enjoying following your cabin story with the great pics, but I wouldn't be able to go to your blog and view them.  If you need a hand streamlining things, send me a message.  Give me your phone # and I'll call if we can't do it any other way.  I got free long distance after 9pm and on weekends, so that ain't a problem. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I do not go through that resize and optimization program. I do have two Adobe programs, Photoshop Album where I store all my pictures and Photoshop Elements, which is a mini version of the full photo editing tool. With either program all I do is highlight my picture, go to File, Save for Web. Up pops a box where I can see the size and compression and just make the picture width between 350 and 400 and I am done.   I usually rename the file to keep my original. 8)

Takes maybe 15 seconds. Is that wrong?   ;D

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DanG

Heck no it ain't wrong, if it works! 8) 8)  I don't have either of those programs, and the xat.com one was free.  Any way you can do it is ok. :)

thecfarm

My wife has a blog and she was trying to post pictures on it.We only have dail up here.Would take a long time for the pictures to go through and sometimes,something would time out on her and she would have to start all over.Than I had her use xat.com and she can do it fast now.I don't know about if it uploads on someone elses computer faster or not.I do know the pictures on here will load up pretty quick for a dail up.

Stephen1

I agree once learned it is not a big deal. Gary-C is the adobe elements a purchased program or a free program?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

Sometimes programs like Adobe Elements comes with your scanner installation software. So you buy a $300 scanner and you get a $90 program free.  ;D

Here's a free trial version from Adobe, times out in 30 days. It's best if you have a fast connection if your going to download it. But, I have done it on dialup, just let it do it's thing over night.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/tryout.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!