iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OKRA

Started by Tom, July 18, 2006, 08:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

One of my customers, Johnny, gave me some Okra and fresh tomatoes from his garden yesterday.  Last night Gael prepared stewed tomatoes and Okra.  Tonight, I have a plate full and it's delicious.

Stewed tomatoes with Okras, mashed potatoes and pot roast.  ;D

Don P

It's getting to be time to start locking up when we're gone, the zuchini have started coming in.

We had a potential job customer stop by on Friday. It wouldn't work out for the job, but he left zukes and cabbage  :).

Monday we got to work and the homeowner showed up with bad news, they had been looking and made some changes over the weekend.  I needed to tear out some work and change it.

Her dad showed up about lunchtime with lunch and a huge dish of bananna pudding. I'm kinda looking forward to the next change  :D.

UNCLEBUCK

I put all the okra in the freezer and when granny makes swiss steak or stew with chunks of cut up okra I almost sort out the meat and take the okra first .

Your dish with okra sounds much the same Tom and I agree it is good
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Don_Papenburg

No okras here yet this year .  But Linda went fishin in the pond brought back fourteen bass  .  we had fried fish ,    i had red sause on mine ,yum yum .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

tlooney

In my opinion (me not being from the south) I think okra is just about the foulest vegi God put on this earth. But that is just  my opinion. ;D
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Tom

Pass me yours.  :)

Jeff

Watch the video, and in your mind, when they say grits, replace it with Okra. 

I'm not saying who sent me this video to protect his southern identity.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4552595863929268915
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

I love fried okra but can't stand stewed okra.........and putting 'maters in it don't help none niether! :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

asy

Quote from: tlooney on July 18, 2006, 10:38:11 PM
I think okra is just about the foulest veg

I agree it's pretty awful, but, then, when in doubt about the FOULEST, there's always Brussel Sprouts yikes_smiley smiley_thumbsdown... 

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Asy, I gotta completely agree with you on that one.  Tammy loves them little round things, I think they have the same taste as any other little round thing you find laying out on the ground that as something to do with one end or the other of a herbivore.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

Absolutely agree.

My mum likes them, and cooks things to within an inch of recogniseability. She used to make me sit and sit until they were eaten.

I used to employ a bottle of Tomato Sauce to try to disguise the taste.

One day, when I was about 13, the disguising just didn't work.

The sprouts ended up (involuntarilly post mastication, and partly digested) on mum's slippers.    :-[

Didn't go well for me. :-\

Never ate them again.  ;)

Ever.  ;D

estiers

Hey, we're getting side tracked (like that hasn't happened before!!). Back to okra.

I am not from the south and I personally love okra.  Now those of you not from the south just haven't had them prepared properly.  No, I am not talking about Tom's stewed stuff, because I agree... YUCK!  Nothing slimier than stewed okra.  But fried okra.... now there is the way to go.  Of course, anything tastes better fried  :-\  Maybe I had better rethink my position!
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Bro. Noble

I like okra in just about any form,  but anyone who says they don't like okra probably just havn't tried pickled okra.  8) 8) 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

asy

UNCLEBUCK

swiss steak like with taters,carrots,brown gravy all in one deep pot and cut up chunks of okra .  The okra tastes better than everything in the pot . A very  flavorful vegetable . 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

sprucebunny

I like okra. Particularly in a hearty chicken soup. I'd love to try it fried but that's pretty unlikely up here :D

I like grits, too. Have them instead of potatoes or rice about once a week. They are easy to cook and I'm a lazy cook.... usually.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Fla._Deadheader

Whyzat, Bunny ???  Just put some fryin oil in a fry pan, coat the Okra rings with Chiken batter and fry until light brown color. I could eat a big bowl by miself ;D ;D ;D  Fred gave me some seed , but, it wasn't any good. 1 spindly plant and died at 3" tall.  ::) ::) ::) ::)  I'd LOVE to have a few plants in the garden, RAT NOW. I'm outta Grits, too.  ::) ::) :(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thurlow

Remember the late "Mouth of the South",  Jerry Clower?  His tale about Brummie (hounddog) and the Okra pretty much sums up everything one needs to know about okra. 8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Larry

And for the pilgrims that don't know what okra is I put up this pic couple years go.

Like Noble, I think my favorite is when it is pickled.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dundee

Thanks Larry, I was wondering what the heck they were, dunno if I have ever seen them downunder?

Don_Papenburg

estiers, You sayin fried grits and okra might make for a good meal? 

Asy and Jeff , My wife likes them brussels sprouts  steamed , smells like the emitions from the south end of a northboung hog.   Lots of cheese ,like 200% more than BS  is what it takes to make them eatable.

Bro.No I like pickled and fried okra but not slimed
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

DanG

Dundee, are you a gardener?  If you'd like, we could probably get a pod of seeds to you so you can try it.  They ought to do well down there.  We'd have to send the whole pod, 'cause the seeds look a lot like those from Mary G. Wanna. :o :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

I had fried okra for supper tonight. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! It sure was good! I could eat a ton of it. Still don't like the stewed okra though. When I was a boy, that was how my grandmother fixed it. I tried to spred it around the plate to look like I had eaten it and Tom ate his.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

asy

I think you guys must have a different thing you call Okra.

Ours is flavourless, like water. it's a green thing, grows on a vine, about the size of a mango.

I can't believe that Buck said it was full of flavour, really makes me think it's different from ours.

Patty

Yummmm! I love brussell sprouts. Those little round green guys are great!
They have the best flavor if you don't pick them until after a good hard frost. Kinda like rutabaga...they taste best when left in the gound as long as possible.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!