iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatzit? from Costa Rica

Started by Jeff, July 18, 2006, 11:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Any ideas?  Tammy and I spotted this on the side of a shear drop off when we went for a walk near a resort near the town of Gracia.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

PineNut

How about a stationary exercise bike? Just my guess. Wouldn't think they would need anything like that but you never can tell.

Dan_Shade

is some sort of grinder/mill?  looks like it could be used to grind corn or grain.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

That is a grindstone hooked to the peddles.  I'll tell you up front that I dont know what this is, I am hoping someone else does. :) PineNut, if you ever get to go to Costa Rica, see the country and meet the people and try to walk where they walk everyday, you will see that your first guess would become your last guess. :)

I dont know how it could be used to grind grain as where would you put the grain, and besides that there is no grain growing anywhere within many miles, including corn.  We seen one small patch of maize down there during our entire visit. Maybe 100 stalks.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

Human stationar power for anything, like a mobile power unit ;D Certainly not for excercise.
               Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

PineNut

I can see that it could be used for rotary power but what is the purpose of what looks like a brake on it with rocks in a basket to control the braking force?

I have seen different devices both in US and abroad (in countries like Costa Rica) that had no useful function other than a takeoff on something or for tourist. Note in the photo that there has been foot traffic around it and it is in a resort area. 

My first post was for houmor but that is the only way I see that it could be used as a stand alone machine as shown in the picture. Usually a functional machine is located where the work is being done. Maybe at some time in the past it was used as some type of hoist to bring things up the drop off.

Corley5

Something for the gringos to take pics of so they ask their friends back home what it is ;)  Looks like "sculpture" to me.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

crtreedude

First of all - the Costa Rican next to me right now doesn't know what it is - but... I have a guess.

I think it is used to put the first edge on machetes - the wheel looks like that kind of stone, and the weighted board is to hold the machete in place. One person drives the wheel - another sharpens the machetes.

This is only required for the first sharpening - or when they hit metal. After that, they dress it with a hand file.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Murf

Quote from: Jeff B on July 18, 2006, 11:38:54 AM
Tammy and I spotted this on the side of a shear drop off......

A brake system fer da repelling line when dey has ta go over da edge ta fetch a gringo after his meesus said "Lemme git a picture of you here fer da forum, a little further back der Honey, just a little further back, just 2 more steps back....."   :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

UNCLEBUCK

Oh this is too easy , the grindstone is just added weight for momentum and the seperation between the boards allows for a long belt to be hooked up so then Gilligan can pedal away when MaryAnn needs to use her blender when she makes coconut cream pies !  I win  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

metalspinner

Fred Flintstone's exercise bike.  :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Mooseherder

Maybe a Sugar Cane grinder?
Looks like Dried up cane stock behing the wood bike thingamajig. smiley_smash

Tom

It's a snake killing device. 

The round circle thingy is an oval.  it makes the stick riding on it jump up and down. 

What you do is lure the snake to the front of the machine and then pedal real hard.  The basket of rocks beats him on the head.

Fla._Deadheader

I think it's a "Tourist" contraption.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

If that's the case, the fool thing will probably catch on here shortly.

Mooseherder

I got it!
Somebody left  their sidecar behind smiley_smug01.

UNCLEBUCK

I have pondered this machine all day now and I have to agree with others that it is a excercise bike , adding or removing stone from the basket as I see 4 peg holes in the wheel so it must be made of wood and the weighted wood board as the slow down brake so then Gilligan can sit there all day and build his endurance so he has the strength to power his bamboo paddleboat and get help ! Looks like Gilligan may have rubbed some kind of oily substance on the perimeter of the wheel like animal fat to make it slippery ?  I sure could be wrong  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

pasbuild

I think it is for all island inhabitants as the seat is adjustable  ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

asy

My faves are the coconut cream pie maker (even though I dont like coconut), and Tom's Snake killer. THat was hillarious.

I thought it was some sort of knife sharpener, but hey, what would I know.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

joelmar10

If you look closely you can see the windings on that wheel...it's the generator bike Gilligan peddled to charge the coconut batteries for the professor's radio.  If you aren't careful that sucker will bust loose of it's moorings and you'll pedal yourself straight into the lagoon.
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

asy

Joel, sounds like you and Buck had the same spare time when you were kids!

Must admit, though, I did love Gilligan's Island.

But then who wouldn't like being stranded with Ginger with not a lot to wear  ;)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

joelmar10

You'll find there are two camps for the fellas when it comes to Gilligan's Island.  I fell into the MaryAnn camp as a boy.  As I get older I'm leaning towards an appreciation for Ginger.  I suppose if I get old enough I'll have to take a look at Mrs. Howell.   ;D
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

DanG

What makes y'all so sure those are stones in that little basket?  I think it is a pedal powered p'tater peeler. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!