iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making a ripping chain?

Started by JimBuis, July 17, 2006, 09:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBuis

Another beginner question.  I have never made up my own chains before. I have just ordered some ripping chain from Baileys along with a breaker and spinner. I have no idea what I will be getting in this shipment. Do I need anything else to make my chains?  Extra links?  Rivets?  Fill in the blank?

Please make your answers simple and be gentle. ;D

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

dredgeslavedave

You shuld get alll the extra rivets and link you will need with your chain. If you get the same breaker and spinner set that I got from Baileys you will be scratching your head alot. They do not send any instructions with them. Good luck. Dave.
3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

Raphael

Make sure your lubricate those repair links before you spin down the rivets, otherwise the chain ends up rather inflexible at the join and can cause real problems as bar and chain oil doesn't work into a dry joint easily.  Also if you wind up dealing with more than one pitch or guage chain be sure to keep those parts organized...

I've found a 3/8 pitch low profile chain doesn't work real well when joined with a .325 pitch side plates. ::)

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

urbanlumberinc

The hard part about looping your own chain is getting the plates aligned properly on the anvils when seperating a drive link.  While it is nice to have a breaker and spinner, I rarely use mine anymore, ande ussually order loops rather that bulk chain.  The first time you miscount drive links and spend an hour building one loop, you'll understand why at $3.00 per loop, it's easier to have the pros do it.

Al_Smith

It's not that big of a deal to spin up a chain.As already been said,put a bit of oil on the rivet head.Mount the spinner on a board or something so you can clamp it to a bench.

You will have to play with the spinner a bit to align the mechanism for the chain size.Once you get things aligned,tighten the screw,spin,tighten the screw,etc until you have the head set.With a bit of practice it will look like a factory job.

I have put together quite a bit of chain by just the old fashion peening method,that isn't a big deal either.Usually,however,I just buy the loops already spun up,,from Baileys,on sale.This is less than I would pay for the chain,tie strap etc.The exception to this is the McCullochs which are a few drive lengths shorter than Stihl and Husqvarna.

bedlam

Just curious, does anyone have any websites that explain how to "loop" your own chain? Ive been thinking maybe Id buy in bulk.
Thanks AL

Thank You Sponsors!