iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First one for me.

Started by ARKANSAWYER, July 17, 2006, 07:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Well I have built my first water tower.

The water tower base is 16 ft tall with a 10 square bottom and the top is 80 inches and all made from white oak.   Inside sits a 250 gallon stainless steel water tank.   The side walls of the building are made from cedar board and batton with pine 2x4's  and are 8 ft tall.   The top of the roof is 26 ft from the ground.   The whole thing sits on a 12 ft square concrete pad that is 6 inches thick and full of rebar.    "L" braces and 1/2 bolts hold it down to the concrete.   It took 1/2 day to saw out and 1 day to cut all of the lay out.   Two days to stand in 95 degree + heat.   Check's in the bank.    ;D

ARKANSAWYER

dewwood

Arky,

Is the tank filled with the windmill?  Nice job on the structure. 8)
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

wiam

dewwood, No I think he said it would be filled with water. :D

Will

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

asy

Arky,

How is the water contained?

Is there a tank inside the timber siding, or is the timber the retaining material?

Am curious, it's different to how we do it.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

* asy hides in shame.

sorry.

beenthere

Looks like a 250 gal tank sitting beside the structure in the 4th pic, and a couple more that follow. Suspect it was lifted in place before the roof put on. Looks like there is room to spare.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Nice job.Looks real good.What was the reason to buiding the water tower?I see power pole in the back ground of one picture.How are you getting water into the tower,by the windmill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Snag

I had the same question.  What is the reason for the tower?  Just curious....  Nice job, looks really cool.  Can you give me a reason I should build one :D?  I need more projects that I dont have time to do.

Murf

Asy, you're supposed to read the articles, not just look at all the pictures...... :D  :D  :D

At least Arky doesn't have a staple through his belly button!!   ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

ARKANSAWYER

Sorry it took so long to get back but my computer died.   It is redone now and working better.
   These folks are trying to get off the grid.   The windmill is to pump water up into the tank in the tower so it will have good head pressure to the house that is below me in the photo up top.   On none windy days there was no pressure.   Now we have good pressue and one less thing on the grid.   Really needed a larger tank but they are on top of a hill so the wind blows more and the tank they have was free.    It was one of them fun jobs and a first for me.   I want to build a grist mill now.
ARKANSAWYER

SwampDonkey

That's a real great looking water tower.  :o That would be great at a camp if the winters weren't so cold up here. As always I like to analyze stuff.  ;D But, just gotta ask.....you guys pay that much for power that ya gotta build and maintain water towers? My power bill is no higher than $90 in the dead of winter (mostly less than $75) and $55-60 in summer months, includes water heater rent/maintenance fee. It's actually less than my phone bill, which blows my mind.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

SD, my water bill was $30 last month and my electric bill was $218. That's less than a lot of people around here. I am doing all I can to make sure my new house is as much off the grid as possible. My first off grid project is a solar powered well with a thousand gallon water tank. Many people in the area are looking for better alternatives, especially since some of us spent many days without water and electric last year after the storm.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Seems it ain't so cheap after all liv'n in the south.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Still stuffing their corporate carpetbags  ;)

I'm wanting to see pics of that grits mill when you get er done. The farm looks like one you restored a few years ago Arky, looking good.

ARKANSAWYER

Barn when I first saw it.   "You want to do What! to that thing Lady"?

Not so bad now.

You is right Don.
  No power is cheap here and would only cost about $10 a month to run the well on electricity.   But their goal is to get off the grid.   They live on 80 acres and are tring to get to where they can live off the land as much as possible.   Read to much "Country Side" or something.    Should have bought ground on a creek and put in a water wheel and had better farming dirt.
ARKANSAWYER

Part_Timer

Very nice,

Is the barn still a barn or is it a house?
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

asy

WOW ARKY!!!

Is that the same barn? or did you push the old one over and build another with remarkably similar lines???

Could we please have some more photos? Especially closer, the sides and inside? How much did you need to rebuild? How long did it take??? 

It looks magnificent, bet they're thrilled!!!

PS: Power here (inner suburbia) costs me roughly $50/pcm/aud.

ScottAR

I dunno if I'd like that life, but if they're buying, I'm mighty agreeable... :D :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Jim_Rogers

I was talking by phone a few weeks ago with a timber framer in TX and he said down there in his area the water resource committee requires water meters on even private wells as you are restricted to how much you can draw out of the earth per month, for your own use on your own property.
I'd never heard of such a thing before.......
I guess then need to plan to have enough for everyone.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!