iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodwackers

Started by chet, December 22, 2002, 10:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Jeffs puter desk project and Charlies Christmas tree ornament got me to wondering, are there any other woodworkers, turners or carpenters in the bunch. Whatcha building or built, and how bout some pics. :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Bro. Noble

Paul H is putting in a new floor.  He told me he did it by 'raising the roof'  but I can't find the post he made about it.  Anybody know where it is?

As for myself,  I've got a hammer and saw but I don't remember how come.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

whitepe

Chet,
Rick Schmalzried and I are woodworkers.
Actually, Rick is a very accomplished woodworker
and I'm a wannabe.
Look in the General board to see Rick's
jewelry box. It's a beaut.  I'll post some pics
of a few of my projects after the holidays.
I'm not at home right now.
Looking for alternative ways to get lumber got
me detoured into buying a Woodmizer LT15.
Milling logs relieves lots of office stress. ;D
Whitepe
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Noble_Ma

I've been a carpenter/woodworker all my adult life.  This is my younger son's first woodworking project.  I did help a little but most of the work is his.  It's made of white pine that we dropped, milled and dried from our property.  He gave it to his cousin and the wife was so upset.  She wanted it ;D

Noble_Ma

I didn't do the table justice when I compressed the photo.  The finish isn't mottled like that ???

Saki

Howdy. Don't have any pics to share yet as I am not all that computer literate and don't have a digital camera. I do lots of " basic " type woodworking. Like to build birdhouses, feeders, etc. I have made some furniture ( couple of cradles for friends ) A sassafras fireplace mantleboard for some other friends, and last but not least, I have a dremel scrollsaw, and love to cut Christmas tree ornaments out of eastern red cedar. Also make pine cone wreaths. Most of my woodwork would fall into the category of creative puttering rather than woodworking, but I do enjoy it.

WV_hillbilly

Here is a picture of a scrollsaw piece that I make out of slab wood. If I get some more time here  soon I will post some other pics too.

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

ADfields

hillbilly, thats a great pece!   Looks like a Montana pack string on the way out.   Makes me wish I was there!
Andy

Ron Wenrich

My woodworking skills are a shade over the chain saw capentry line.  I do some pretty decent structural work, but the finish work, leaves a lot to be desired.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

chet

I completed this barrister bookcase for my den last week. It is made of Quartersawn red oak.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

whitepe

Really Nice Chet!   8)

Is that a Kachina doll on the right?

Whitepe

chet

It's my buddy, he's guard'n a bottle of  C'Mist under his dud's. He's was an award from the fire department I'm on.

Linda

This is a White Oak Mortise and Tenon bench I made.
The hardest part was the mortise holes in the back legs. They lean back above the seat and the arm rest is mortised into the angle. ElectricAl helped make a jig for our plung router. It worked pretty slick once we figured it out.

This was my first attempt at mortise and tenons.  Quite a challenge! ::)

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

whitepe

Linda,
Really nice bench.  It looks like you and
ElectricAl are quite handy folks.  :)

Chet,
Can't say enough nice things about firemen,    :) especially
after 9/11.  In 1957 when I was 5 years old we escaped from our house at 3:00 AM due to a fire. Lost about
1/3 of the house.  We had to go down a stair well that had
one burning wall.  After the fire was out,  the firemen
pointed out our pillows.  White sillhouettes surrounded
by black.  We are all thankful to be alive. We did lose
7 cats in the fire.
Living where you do, I am sure you know a lot about the
great fire in Peshtigo, Wis.  I hope I remembered the name
of the town correctly.

Whitepe

chet

Linda,  looks like you were up to the challange. Great looking job. :)

Whitepe,  yes I am familier with the great Peshtigo fire.

Norm

Very nice Linda, white oak is a challenge to work with but looks beautiful. Good job.

Patty says she is very impressed also. She is just learning mortise and tenon jointery.

ElectricAl

Here is Linda's latest project. It's a 24' x 36' x 9' Wood Shop and garage. The Wood Shop is 50% of the floor space.
I thought this would be a good photo for the thread "Woodwackers"

Here in Iowa it is cheaper to put up a tin shed then saw out a Pine Barn if you have to buy the logs.

We bought a kit from Menards on sale. Wow, they have some crappy lumber. :o

All the 4x6's were twisted and side bent, plus the green treat only penetrated about an inch or so. The core is still white. >:(

Well, we are at the drywall stage now. Were are quickly falling behind with our industrial woodworking customer. We have 7 table tops that are 36" x 72" out of Quartersawn White Oak and 20 panels 24" x 36" out of Q. W. O.. Plus a bunch of drawer boxes out of Q. W. O.. to do ASAP.

It's kind of a juggling act around here trying to keep sawing, finish the wood shop, and deal with all the other aspects of our business. ::)

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bibbyman

Mary makes tables and workbenches.  The only thing I've made that's turned out well is small seat benches.

This oak bench is 21" long, 14" tall,  by 12" wide and has hole for lifting.

Oak bench 16" long, 13" tall by 12" wide. Perfect for kids seat or step stool.  I like this design because it's made from 1x6s and is interlocked and really would not require glue. I've made these in three sizes and gave them to kids as Christmas gifts to all the little kids in the family. They went over well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Chet,
There are quite a few sawyers/fire fighters around. ;D
I spent Nine years on a rural department.
This was my first major contribution to our department. It's a 2,500 gal. portable water tank. At the time, a tank this size cost $1,500.  I built it for $400, with donated labor. ;)

Here is a shot of us training on the LP tree. I am lead nozzle man team right. Our asst. chief (red helmet) was valve man in the center.

I had to retire when we moved our business out of that fire jurisdiction. It's the cost one must pay to expand their business.

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

Bibby, benches like that are the best all around gift a woodworker can give.  They are functional, pretty, show off craftsmanship and, if signed, make a mark in the world.  I have some here at the house from some old-timer woodworkers that I wouldn't take the world for.

Al, they probably do with that wood what is done with landscaping timbers (veneer core) down here.  They call it "treated to the point of refusal"  Treatment won't replace the water in the wood nor will it treat heart so these timbers are seldom expected to last too long even though some folks make fence posts out of them.  I guess that yours will have no trouble since it will be covered.

That's strange that the construction wood can be purchased retail cheaper than sawed.  Since I don't buy logs, I guess I gloss over some of that type of shopping. Most of us have pine or know someone who will give us some for a swap. :)

chet

ElectricAl,   I had 1900 feet of red pine 4x4, 4x6 and 6x6 treated this summer. We have a treatment plant that will custom treat about 2 hours away. I had them CCA treated to .60, for the 1900 feet it cost me $225. I have yet to cut a timber that wasn't green to the core.  :)
Al you should check with the fire dept. that serves you now. If they are like most departments they are always in need of help, especially already trained personel.
Not sure on that building split, I think 75% shop 25% garage may be more fare. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

It's been so boring on the forum lately, I decided to dig out a piece that my kids and I used to make, when we had only wind and generator power, in Arkansas. We made these pieces by splitting with an axe and then sawing with a gas engine powered table saw. We hand planed and sanded the pieces with a drill-sander and a sanding wheel-drum that I fashioned out of some heavy stock, so we could get pretty accurate thickness of side pieces.

On this particular item, we made it for a good friend and he wanted Rosewood pegs and tailpiece and a modern chin rest. It is Cherry with Black Walnut fingerboard and Spruce top. We bought the Spruce.

We made these in 3/4 size, for kids. We did the Craft Show scene for several years. The kids liked the animal heads. I did 1 traditional scroll head, just to say I could.

When this friend died from Cancer, I talked his widow (second wife) out of it. We also made 5 string Banjers. Some had resonators and some were open back. I made "little ones" so the youngest kids could handle them. My youngest daughter started playing when she was 5. I have some photos I could dig out if ya'll are interested.  

How deep IS the snow ?????????? :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WV_hillbilly

That's a real fine looking piece there Deadheader. Isn't it amazing what you can do with out all of that new fangled equipment.  Alot of people now wouldn't know how to use or even sharpen a hand plane. It seems that technology seems to make some people a little lazy in the brain catogory.

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Buzz-sawyer

Do you have any pics of your homey built banjos?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Why din't ya ask last week ?? Lynda, my our youngest, just took hers back home.  ::) ::)

I'll see if I can get some pics, tomorrow.  ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!