iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody using firefox?

Started by brdmkr, July 12, 2006, 10:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

I had a guy today, clean my files, save my important stuff, FORMAT the drive, and reinstall Windows 2000. I then set up Mozilla for a browser. I STILL get popups, and trojan bombardments. Guss I will shoot this freakin computer and quit the Internet. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom Sawyer

I got one word for you Deadheader - Mac.

SwampDonkey

I don't get popups in Firefox. And I don't seem to get adware either because I use a program to block those which seems to work as far as I know. The firewall in XP may be helping also.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

brdmkr

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 24, 2006, 12:20:48 AM
I got one word for you Deadheader - Mac.

I am using a PC and I still have had no adware, spyware, or other popups with firefox.  HOWEVER, when the time comes to get a new computer, I'll be going with a Mac.  I am just too tired of Microsoft glitches and the whole world out to infect the MS products.  I have considered Linux, but I just don't want to got through the trouble. So, Mac it shall be.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Quartlow

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 23, 2006, 07:24:23 PM

I had a guy today, clean my files, save my important stuff, FORMAT the drive, and reinstall Windows 2000. I then set up Mozilla for a browser. I STILL get popups, and trojan bombardments. Guss I will shoot this freakin computer and quit the Internet. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got another word for you

ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/

If I'm figuring it out any one CAN!!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Fla._Deadheader

I noticed that there is an ad.something.com that shows in the bottom address bar, before the popups hit the screen. Must have a hidden file on this computer, EH ???

ALSO, how does one remove bad stuff MANUALLY ??? I found a ton of stuff using Trend housecall. They deleted a lot, BUT, there are things that need to be deleted manually. NO instructions ????????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom Sawyer

I've considered going Linux too, but now that I have switched to Mac in the last year, I can't think of a good reason to use Linux anymore.  I still might do it sometime just for fun! ;D

tnlogger

harold try this it's free and does a good job.asquared
gene

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Gene. I bookmarked it for now.  8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

On my new laptop and version 1.5 of Firefox, I've noticed it takes < 5 secs to load and a little longer to load in the homepage. That's a fresh load after a boot. You'll notice if you close and then reopen Firefox on older versions (0.x-1.0.x) it loads quicker. On my old system it was slow, but I think I had the poor thing overloaded with stuff. When I wiped the hard drive and did a fresh install of XP on it, it booted to desktop in <30 secs.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Max sawdust

I use IE. Not because I like it just don't know better. ::)  I will check out this firefox ;D
Far as bugs it is all about good hygiene :D :D
Symantec cooperate addition for anti virus
McAfee for firewall
and best of all
Xsoftspy for spyware clean up, it cleans the registry too :)
Knock on wood... but I never have any issues with the above hygiene regiment.

It is my opinion you need to run all three and download all updates!
Most people use a firewall and some kind of anti virus, but it seems not to many are using a anti spyware software.  I encourage anyone who does not run a anti spyware to give it a try.  You will be amazed at all the data miners and worse that reside on your computer ;)

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Onthesauk

Also inclined to run more then one.  Have read that not all named brands catch everything.  I run Ad-aware and Spybot every ten days or so.

Despite my best efforts, I've got something running in the background that I can't identify.  "ShellCon Hiddenwindow"  Have searched MS and Norton sites and a number of the industry publication sites but can't find any reference to it.  Only appears as the machine is shutting down.  Anyone have a clue?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

I installed WinUAE (Windows version of the Ultimate Amiga Emulator) on my old laptop and there was a drawer with a file named 'AUX.library', which is not maliscious. There must be a Windows System file with the same name, because it just wouldn't let me delete it when I uninstalled WinUAE. I hate it when an OS doesn't let me do as I please. :D

Ianab

QuoteDespite my best efforts, I've got something running in the background that I can't identify.  "ShellCon Hiddenwindow"  Have searched MS and Norton sites and a number of the industry publication sites but can't find any reference to it.  Only appears as the machine is shutting down.  Anyone have a clue?

Do you have the MusicMatch Jukebox installed?
If so run MSconfig and remove the musicmatch startup program that autoloads... MM should still work but none of it's associated background tasks will be running. That might cure the problem

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Just received a notice of Firefox update 1.5.0.5 being available.

Onthesauk

Thanks Ian!  That seems to have finally eliminated it.

Steve
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

tnlogger

I've been running 2.0 beta1 for the last few weeks and not even a hiccup. I'll be glad when alpha comes out so I can get my image zoom back 
gene

Tony

Hey fellows, I've got a problem...
I connected to internet and found that all my bookmarks on Firefox were gone.  Also, I can't connect to Outlook Express--emails,addresses, etc. are gone also. What happened and what do I need to do to fix this problem???? Is it a virus ???
Would appreciate any help.....   

Tony   8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

SwampDonkey

Sounds like you uninstalled an old installation of Firefox and delete all the folders, or you upgraded from IE and never (yet) imported your bookmarks into firefox. If it's an upgrade look on your C: drive for the 'Documents and Settings' folder, open the folder with your windows username labeled on it.
Open 'Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/rczx0f1h.default' folder for your bookmarks.html (around 86 kb more or less).

You need to make Firefox the default browser in order to link from Outlook. Under 'Tools/Options' select the 'general' tab and click on the checkbox to have Firefox check for default browser each time it loads, then click the 'Check now' button.  ;D

Tony

Well, everything's back to normal today  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tony  8) 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

SwampDonkey

Firefox 2 has been released and still supports Win 98. Version 3 will not have Win98 support according to the Mozilla team.

Jeff

I upgraded to IE 7 and I am going to REVERT. >:(   It locks up all the time. Love the new tabs but its got issues as they always do
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

:-X :-X Nope, ain't gonna open my mouth.

Norm

Try the new Firefox 2.0, it's stable and has a built in spell checker. Also get the adware blocker add-on. Brett (my son) is using ie 7 and is having the same problems you are having.

pineywoods

Been using firefox for quite a while. I like it. No popups, no lockups, just does what it's supposed to do..  running win98se
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!