iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We went and bought some old iron.

Started by Mooseherder, July 12, 2006, 08:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

While searching for some other type of old iron in May, I came across an complete sawmill operation for sale in the Heavy Equipment section of the Bangor Daily News. The telephone exchange was from my hometown. Curiosity getting the best of me. I made the call. It sounded too good to be true. I sent my brother living locally to investigate. It was true. Now I had to make a decision. While pacing the floor on a Saturday morning and trying to justify flying up there to close the deal, my wife got me a flight to leave in the afternoon behind my back. Now I had to go!
The owner was selling the property the Mill was on.  The hold up was the New owner wanted the Mill building but wanted the mill GONE. 8)
The seller didn't want to close the deal with a dismantled mill, it would be harder to sell. In walks Me!

We just got back from dismantling and Storing all the equipment. The previous owner has been in the business 30 years and his goal was to be out by the time he was 50. He was 50 on the day we moved the last pieces of equipment What a great guy. We worked great together, like long lost buddies. He will help me with our new endeavor on our site plan, building and re-install when we are ready.

He was using the Mill for a Cedar Fencing operation.
It is a Lane Circle Carraige Saw with  Hydraulics powered by 6 month old JD diesel 4cyl.
The JD also powers a Forano Edger , Resaw, and 36" Precision Chipper.
There is a 4 sided planer that will only handle 4 inch max width boards.
A TrimSaw 4ft. to 10 Foot
a Log Bed 30 Foot long that will handle up to 16 foot wide logs.
3 Sawdust Carriers
A sawdust blower in the planer area.
a knife sharpener for the chipper
an ugly truck with a prentice loader that is powered by a Detroit diesel ( we used it to take the Chipper Chout off the roof.
an extra main Saw Blade
Hundreds of new Tooth inserts.
Sharpeners for all machines, extra bearings, sprockets, shafts, parts, belts, hoses, hydralic and fuel tanks and tools. I am sure I forgot something. Can't wait to get started.

sprucebunny

Congratulations  8) 8)

Are you going to be setting it up in Maine again ?

Do you have a precise plan or did you just want a mill ???

Sure sounds like you got a whack of metal :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Mooseherder

Thanks sprucebunny,
Yes, Yes and Yes.
Precise.....hmmmmmmmmm...my head is spinning.

DanG

Wow MH, you got a real treasure trove of goodies there.  I wonder why he was bailing out, just when he is coming into his prime years? ??? ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sprucegum

Guess what !?!

You are a sawmiller now  8)   smiley_clapping

8) NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF THE FUN PART  8)  

getoverit

Congrats on the great find!

Be sure to send along some pics of the new operation when ya get it up and running
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

iain

Way to go
your looking for a hammer and bam, your in the sawing game
you got watch your back all the time, things just sneek up on you 8)

iain

Mooseherder

Dang
He got into buying and renting houses and apt.
I think he has about 24 units. He has many other business interests.
The guy is always working.
I'll probably be just getting started @ 50.

JimBuis

Mooseherder in Florida?  Now I understand, returning home is a good thing. Congratulations!

I look forward to the day that I return home from Tokyo.
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Coon

Well !!! Mooseherder you know you could always bring your setup to my neck of the woods.  I have LOTS of Trees that need sawing.   Heck we even got lotsa moose for you to try herding too. :D :D :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Mooseherder

I forgot to mention the laser light setup and Radial Arm Saw!

Thank You Sponsors!