iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures and things from Costa Rica.

Started by Jeff, July 06, 2006, 03:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I was walking Silky (new Cocker Spaniel puppy) around the property and saw a mango on the ground - MANGOS ARE RIPE!   8)

and, many of the oranges are almost there. Last night I grabbed about 3 limes and made a fresco - hmmm - great.

Yep, we are suffering down here.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

We stopped at a small store one afternoon to grab a COCA-Cola lite. When I came out of the store I spotted something really strange that made me smile. When I looked up I saw these two Costa Rican ladies sitting on the bench in front of the store waiting for the bus. In my limited ways of expressing myself, I asked if I might take a picture of this strange site before me, It wasn't of the ladies, but of what they had laying at thier feet.  The lady in the foreground understood me to want to take a picture of her, so I changed gears and said Sei! Por favor!  She stood and smiled and looked to her friend. I motioned to her to stand and be in the photo as well. She pointed at herself as to say, "You mean you want to take a picture of ME?"  I say Sei! Anyhow, I got a picture of these happy Costa Rican Ladies. I believe they were probably from the indigenous population as they have rather different features to the majority of the Costa Rican women we met or observed. They seemed to pleased to have me take thier picture and I was honored that they gave me permission.

Now, the thing that I noticed that I first asked about taking a photo of. I snapped a photo but just my luck, it didnt turn out well at all.  It was a small feed bag with a live rooster head sticking out of it, looking all around.  These ladies were waiting for the bus and were taking this rooster with them. It was stuffed in a bag and the bag knotted with just the Rooster's head sticking out. Quite a site laying there. Anyhow, he seemed to be quite content to be in that bag. I got an idea that his future was a little dimmer then just getting a ride on a bus. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

Cool photo!

Sure brings a new meaning to the words "Fresh dinner"... :D

Also I love the colour of the building!

Is that a painting of a Macaw on the building?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Costa Rica is a colorful country. There are murals in or on almost every soda (café), store or restaurant you see.  Most are vivid natural settings containing birds and animals and other jungle scenes. We didn't see any Macaws as I think they are from another part of the country and endangered. Tammy saw some bay Toucans. We saw a few exotic looking birds, but they are tough getting photos of.  Here are a couple instances of murals.

asy

Just GORGEOUS!

I want to paint one of those on the side of my shipping container/shed, but I won't let myself till I finish clearing out downstairs, otherwise I'll never get it done!

I love the Catalina Macaws in the second shot.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

UNCLEBUCK

Great pictures and telling of the trip of a lifetime . It sounds to me like I would get along very well with the people and fit right in . The more I think about it maybe I have to pay Harold a visit if I could ever shake my fear of flying .

Fred sounds like a great host and Harold too.

That chicken in the sack is how we use to and still transport chickens,ducks,geese etc..  I kind of think that chicken had his last bus ride  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

SwampDonkey

My grandmother told me a story about the chicken in the sac deal. My grandparents had sporting camps deep in the bush and they hired guides. Well the wife of one of the guides sometimes came to help out.  ::) She was to bring chicken to the camp this one instance. Well she brought it live on the hoof, I don't know if it was in a sac though. Seems this was a typical stunt, as grandmother had to do it in and clean it herself. You might think this was her contribution for having chicken dinner. Well, the chicken was suppose to be cleaned and wrapped at home, not at the camp. My grandmother did most all the cooking and cleaning at the camps and sometimes my uncle was volentered to help her during the hunting season. I think this other lady was along for company more than anything.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

Your friendly narrator here - They appear to be indigineous alright. 80+ percent of Costa Rica is more european than indigineous. This is because when the europeans arrived, there were almost no one here. This caused everyone who came to have to work - not order slaves around. Because of this, Costa Rica is very, very different from most Latin American countries.

Bro. Noble

Quote from: crtreedude on July 19, 2006, 11:37:20 AMThis caused everyone who came to have to work - not order slaves around

Geezr Fred.  you're lucky that got fixed before you got there :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

crtreedude

When Friends like this.... Sigh. Are you implying I just order people around? Nah, that is Amy.

And I am one who gets ordered around! After all Finca Leola really means Amy's farm - Leola is her middle name.

Gustavo

very nice place 
i m sure you had enjoy  costa rica 

you must thing visit our country too

gustavo  from san antonio argentina
thanks to the forum for share very value informations.
here i have got good information  and  over all   good friends

mdvaden

My 7th Grade Spanish teacher was from Costa Rica.

She used to teach us to cook, too.

Ironwood

OK, Great stuff.

Now, If'in I wanted to travel to, say,........Costa Rica would May-July be a good time? My wife is looking for a bit of a travel treat for us and our soon to be 5 year old son. I am thinking that CR would be better than say Mexico or Peru where I have travelled before (we love South and Central America and I can get by with limited language skills) We have talked about getting there for years and we are looking to get a trip in before we have another younger child running about (international adoption) in late 2007/ early 2008.

Any input Fred or FlaDH?  Thanks, some mornings things are a little fuzzy, just not this fuzzy!!!

Reid, Beth and Ethan
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

crtreedude

Hi Reid,

May - July is right at the beginning of the rainy season. Early May (in our zone) is dry - very dry but the later part of May until about the second week in June can make you wonder about the meaning of cubits. (as in you might have to build an ark or something)

However, around July to August is a mini dry season often.

All of this is up to the weather of course, but it is a rough idea. I personally prefer the rainy season over the dry season, which is a good thing since it is 8 months! It doesn't rain all the time, just usually part of the day - often only an hour.

Being cloudy is a positive thing in the tropics. If you want to see Arenal Volcano, the rainy season is the time, the dry season is the worst time to see the cone. (I know that doesn't sound right - but it is)

If you in up in our neck of the jungle, we will expect a visit.

Fla._Deadheader

Fred's the resident expert on Costa Rica. He's been here much longer than I.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

crtreedude

Reid - depending what you are after, I can point you toward a part of Costa Rica you would never see otherwise - so of "Undeveloped" Costa Rica. You might really like that. Can't help much with the beach - but in the Northern Zone, I have tons of places that I know about.

If you are into wild animals, you are much more likely to see them away from the crowds.

Ironwood

Fred,

Thanks for your response. The rainy season sounds like what I expereinced while stationed in Hawaii. We would prefer a vacation away from the crowds and I would even be interested in some potential camping. I would be interested to talk about some sort of work for lodging or the like. I enjoy getting an indepth experience. I have had some great experiences over the years doing this. Keep this in mind if there is a senario which this could serve your interest (or a local good cause) and ours. We would probaby want some exposure to the beach but generally that isn't the main intent. I would love to discuss some more options as this develops.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

Reid, the time frame that we went was pretty decent, we did his an unexpected front but the resort we stayed the last couple days was awesome to say the least and at that time of year, its off season, and you get the place almost to yourself and Gracia is a great town for exploring and getting around in.  I'll bet Fred will trade some lodging for P.R. for the fincas.  ;) Fred is flat out growing trees and you should get in there and see what they are accomplishing.

Ironwood

Jeff,

Thanks for the input. We are trying to decide on a good trip for our family. We don't get away enough (been a few years!!) and we need something interesting. I would love a Canadian trip but timing is always bad with black flies and skeeters (5 year olds don't do well with the scratching). We want something unusual and Ethan is of the age things will begin to create long term memories.  Anyway, the trip should be unique and we're not real compelled to go to Europe and Costa Rica seems a resonably safe bet for something unusual, affordable and close.

Reid

Jeff

One thing, now that you mention it that I was very surprised about was the lack of flying insects to pester you in the evening. I dont know if it was our timing or the fact that they have so many other things to eat them.  Most places didnt have even screens in the windows, but almost always bars to keep the stuff bigger then bugs out.  Its pretty nifty when the line between inside and outside is blurred to the point that you dont mind. Like haveing a tree from or a lizard in the shower. Just seems perfectly normal. :)

Thank You Sponsors!