iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aquiring hypovirulent strains of Cryphonectria parasitica?

Started by Raphael, July 06, 2006, 11:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raphael

A sad thing has happened while I was busy working on the house...
Three of our American Chestnuts that were approaching 3-4" DBH.  Summer of 2004 I lost the crown of the biggest one (it's got a healthy stump I hope to graft resistant scions to) but the other two showed no signs of blight.  Unfortunately this spring one of the survivors lost it's crown and the other is under attack.

No nuts for me.  :(

I've been looking for a source of hypovirulent strains of Cryphonectria parasitica (chestnut blight fungus) in hopes I can get my sole survivor to go into remission long enough cross with resistant scions from the ACCF I should recieve this coming January.  If I can keep it going another 5 years I stand a decent chance of getting a locally adapted disease resistant cross.

Anyone here working with Chestnuts?
Any suggestions on fungicides?

This was an unblemished trunk summer of 2004.

:o :'( :o
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

CHARLIE

Dr. Larry Severeid has a tree farm in Sparta, Wisconsin and is working on finding a resistant Chestnut tree.  He has a lot of chestnuts planted.  I don't have his phone number but I'm sure you can do a search and get it.  He also gives tours of his tree farm.  Anyway, I'm thinking he would be a real good source of information.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!