iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New stuff at Old Dixie Woodworks

Started by getoverit, July 05, 2006, 09:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I have been lucky enough to get some real bargains lately. First of all, I was the lucky guy that bought the fully hydraulic bandmill from FF member "flip'" . I'm really amazed at some of the well thought out things he came up with when it comes to hydraulics. This thing does everything except offbear the boards for ya :) It took a little juggling to get it to Florida all the way from Indiana, but there is nothing that a little money wont solve ;)

Next, I got really tired of having to haul my skidsteer around to load logs and bring them home on the one ton, so I bought a bigger truck with a knuckle boom crane on it. This thing loads logs like they were tooth picks ! Sure is a LOT easier to get logs this way and I got a heck of a bargain on it too!!

Last of all, here is a load of sweetgum and long leaf pine that I brought home on Monday. The guy gave me exactly 12 hours notice that I could either come get the logs or loose them to the tub grinder. I made the trip south about 50 miles to get them and glad I did as long leaf pine is getting hard to find down here.

I have about 40 logs waiting on me for tomorrow and friday to pick up, so I'm gonna be a little busy for a few days :)  Who would have ever thunk that I woulda been so happy about a 26 year old truck and a bunch of logs :d
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Kelvin

Nice stuff.  Just wondering how the loader works at getting logs.  Is it long enough to load them in the middle of the bed on the truck?  What kind of capacity fully extended, and how do you grab on to them?  Can you rotate them?  I've seen this type of crane much more frequently then the real graple type loaders, was wondering how they worked out.  What type of truck?  Diesel?  Stick shift?  Gonna tell us what a really good deal was?  Curious what i'd expect to give for something like that.
Thanks for the pics,
kelvin

getoverit

It has telescopic extensions inside the boom and will extend about 15 feet past the end of the 16' bed on the truck (about 30 feet total or a little better). It rotates about 300 degrees and it has a large hook on the end of the boom. In order to lift a log, just wrap a cable, chain or strap around it and then through the hook. The hydraulics work off of a PTO off of the engine. It is a diesel and a stick shift.

This truck and crane was used at a truck body shop as a demo for the crane, which they were a dealer for that brand of crane. It was used around the yard to hiost a few things, but mostly for demo purposes. I cant find any info on exactly what the load limits are, but I did load and unload a few sweetgum trees that were around 24" at the butt and 16' long and it didnt even grunt at full extension. The dealer assured me that I could easily pick up a car or truck and put it on the bed if I wanted to.

the tires look like new all the way around. It has a governer that holds max speed to 55 mph, but I can live with that. The only thing I dont like about it is that it has no A/C :(  Makes for a hot ride in the florida heat, but I can live with that too.

I got it for $8K

DanG

That do sound like a sweet deal, GOI.  Is it under the CDL requirement, or is that not a problem for you?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

getoverit

It is a class 6 truck, meaning it's maximum weight is 26,000#... just under the CDL requirements ;D

This is a F-700 Ford truck.

I havent had a chance to try it out with a load on it yet, but I'm sure it has to be a LOT better than the F-350 I had. You can see the F-350  and F-150 sitting in the background in the pics, just to give you an idea of the size of this thing.

DanG

Dat's cool!  As long as it's under 26k and don't have air brakes, you should be good to go.  Just be sure to develop a feel for what a good load is, cause you are gonna hafta stop at the scales. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

joelmar10

nice score on the truck, GOI.  you got one of them golden horseshoes?  :D

need more pics of the mill when you're done haulin all dem logs.  and as far as a/c you can still use the 55/2 air conditioning method....

I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

scsmith42

GOI - SWEET SETUP!  Congrats on your new toys, uh, I mean tools!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

highpockets

I am not sure if you are lucky or just rich or both but I like you stuff.  We'll need more photos, thanks very much. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Norm

Cool stuff!

Only thing better would be to have ya move down the road from me. :D

TN_man

WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Captain

The operation is starting to look a little more serious down there.....

Holy cats, 3 sawmills!!

Captain

Part_Timer

Holy smokes GOI.

If you get anymore stuff the county zoning board will be on your doorstep.   ::) ::)

With 3 mills 2 trucks and a skidsteer. and that log loading trailer exactly how many people are you planning to hire and where do I turn my resume in at.  ;D :D :D :D

That is one nice boom truck. congrats

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

Thanks all :)

I had a chance to load a few logs this morning, and it does it with ease. A tree surgeon called me and had cut down 5 pine trees (long leaf) that were around 24" dbh and had cut the logs into 16' sections for me. I loaded 4 logs at a time, and could have loaded more but I need some sort of log stops (uprights) on the sides of the bed to keep the logs from rolling off. This will be my next project. I'm pretty sure that I could have loaded all 5 trees (3 logs per tree) and not been overweight, but couldnt do it because of them trying to roll off of the sides of the bed.

All of this long leaf pine is going to be paneling for the house that we are redoing.

bedway

some guys have all the great toys,,the rest of us just get to look at pictures and drool. smiley_crying smiley_grin

oakiemac

You might be under the CDL requirments but the DOT will still have a hay day with you if you don't have commercial GVW plates, annual truck inspection, health card, 3" letters of buisness and city and a few other requirements.
I just found out about all the extra stuff that "commercial" vehicles have to have.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

getoverit

I think I can solve this problem... first of all, the truck is titled in My name (No business name associated with it).

As of right now, it has no markings on it at all, but I plan on adding "NOT FOR HIRE" on the doors.  This should eliminate any problems along the way. If asked, I'll just tell them I own a farm and I use it for farm use.

I have had a chance this week to haul quite a few logs (about 50 of them). I  dont know exactly how much weight I put on it, but I started out with just a few and then yesterday I hauled 5 logs, 16' long and all of them were around 24" in diameter or better on the small end. The tires barely had any sign of the extra weight, and the truck drove like a Lincoln Town Car with the extra weight on it. One day I'll have to find a place to weigh a load so that I can have a good idea on how much it will actually haul.

*edit note* I used the forum's log weight calculator, and a 24" loblolly pine log 16' long weighs about 2,400 pounds. This means I had 12,000# of logs on the truck with the 5 logs.

I seem to have been mistaken about one thing though... when fully extended, the boom of the truck only goes about 10 feet past the end of the 16' bed of the truck. When trying to lift a log at full extension, (a BIG log), it is easier to lift the log if you pull in the boom so that only one or two sections of telescopic boom are extended. When all 3 sections are extended and the log is BIG, it has a difficult time raising the log. The hydraulics can stand it and there is plenty of power, but the relief valves open up and divert the fluid from lifting. This may just be an adjustment problem with the boom. I'll try adjusting and see what happens.  I actually feel safer dragging the BIG logs along the side of the truck before lifting anyway, so I might just leave it where it is.

Earlier this week I welded on some uprights onto the bed to keep the logs from rolling off of the bed. These seem to work ok, but I can tell that it wouldnt hurt to beef up the welds and add some supports to hold the logs.

Also, I have sold the all manual bandmill and someone is coming to look at buying the one ton truck later this week. That reduces my inventory of iron. This leaves me with only one fully hydraulic bandmill and the Peterson Swingmill and the big F-700 truck. 

jpgreen

You are a millin' sellin' tradin' fanatic Ken...  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!