iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing a chain brake band

Started by Furby, July 05, 2006, 07:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Can anyone tell me how to get the old brake band out of a 3120xp?
Have the replacement, but I'm not sure how to get the old one out on the barbed end.

oldsaw

That is kind of a screwy deal.  Looked at the IPL and it isn't very clear at all about how it goes together, or comes apart.
Now I'm curious, it doesn't make much sense.  Pulled mine to see.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Kevin

Complete disassembly.

Remove the pivot sleeve retaining screw and tap sleeves out of handguard.

Remove the handguard pin then handguard.

Place the unit in a vise and place tension against the brake rod and spring then drive out the pin from the housing , duck and release spring tension.

Remove the band retaining screw, unscrew brake rod from brake band and withdraw brake band from housing.

Place all parts in a bag and return to dealer for reassembly.  ;D

Furby

You ARE joking with that last line right ???
Be easier to just buy a whole new side plate assembly!

Corley5

I tried to buy a brake band for my old 2094 Jonsered once upon a time and the dealer informed me that due to insurance restrictions they were only able to sell to complete side plate assembly.  Never did fix it  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

They sold me the band no problem, cost over $10 though. :-\

oldsaw

I had to replace both the handle and the brake on my 066.  That was pretty straight forward.  This looks like kind of a "cluster party".  I'm just happy that my 3120 spends 100% of its time in the mill (too heavy for anything else), and I'll never have to worry about this.  I still have the 066 for felling and bucking, WITH a brand new handle and brake.

I've got it made.... 8)  I'm only missing the time to use them.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Furby

Well I got it replaced. 8)
Kevin, your instructions were almost perfect.
I didn't use a vice and I didn't take anything back to the dealer. ;D :D

TexasTimbers

well let's see you started in july . . . . this is january  . . . . . heck that didn't take long ;)

I know I know I have no room to talk. At all. ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Furby

:D :D :D :D
Yeah, that's funny alright!

Really haven't touched it since the middle of July, until last month when I tore it down for a rebuild.
Then the guy I ordered parts from didn't call me when they came in so it took longer yet.
Almost had it all back together and I remembered I forgot to fix the band. ::) ::)
Well it's fixed now. :D

snowman

I remember when chain brakes 1st came out. I bought a new saw, took it to the job and the dang chain wouldn't turn. I was really mad,new saw broke already, cluth problem i suspect. I took it back to the dealer mad as hell. He pulled the brake handle back and just sorta looked at me. Boy did I feel dumb. :-\

sawguy21

People still do that even after being shown how it works. The first one I saw with a chain brake was the Pioneer P28, it also had anti vibe. It was not a big seller. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!