iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weather and Shuttles

Started by Radar67, July 04, 2006, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Anyone ever notice the weather after the shuttle goes up?? This morning it was clear, now, check the weather across the nation. National Radar (18:01 CST, or 6:01 pm CST for the non military types) :) I've noticed that it always rains after the shuttle goes up. My theory is the residue from the rocket fuel releases the moisture from the atmosphere. What do you think?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

I think somebody is dancing around a fire and beating on a drum. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mr Mom

Sorry jeff i will stop :) :) :).
     I need all the rain i can get i planted rice this year in my garden instead of the reg stuff.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

sprucebunny

There was a guy around here that used to write "letters to the editor" and say how contrails from jets were some top secret spray ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

red

now stew  dont bring the space shuttle people over here

we got enough going on  getting people back from CR

:D
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Furby

Don't know about drums being beaten around a fire, but someone sure has been inhaling some kinda smoke.
Stew, correct me if I'm wrong, but you are West or rather North West of where they launch from.
They launch from where they do to take advantage of the earth's rotation AND because everything is carried out to sea during the launch and in case of any mishaps.
The residue from the rocket fuel can't possibly have anything to do with your weather that fast.
But you knew all that right! ;)

Frickman

There are still a few local people who think the moon landing was a Hollywood production.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Radar67

Jeff, I tried the drum and dancing last week, didn't work.  :D

Furby, I did state that it was a theory. I have noticed that the weather changes each time the atmosphere is pierced. Now, theoretically, the rocket fuel residue basically becomes an invisible mist ,this is the case if you ever lived around an Air Force Base as your vehicle will literally yield a black residue when you wash it, from the fuel particles. As the shuttle rises, the air becomes thinner. All of our (Atlantic based) tropical storms come from the direction the shuttle traveled to. If you take the winds into consideration, considering the wind is what directs the storms, with the reduced air pressure comes increased winds, looking at the current pattern of rain, you will notice it is just below the current jet stream. As the residue is carried by the wind, it begins to fall back to the earth, becoming distributed by the cross winds. The jet stream has the ability to reduce an aircraft's speed by a couple of hours on a return flight from Europe, this tells me that it is moving pretty fast. So, theoretically, it is possible.

Rocket fuel residue is no where near the weight of the shuttle.  ;)

As for the smoke, the only smoke I have ever inhaled is from an oak fire and cigarettes.  :D :D

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Furby

Ok, but did you know that Ocean currents directly affect and "steer" most tropical storms, they are usually pushed back towards the East when coming into contact with air movement from the Northern jet stream?
Did you also know that a dirty black film forms on most cars in most places? :D :D :D Just not from the same sources. ;)
Also, the rain that is just below the jet stream is STILL moving off towards the East, therefore even if the cross winds were to carry it Westward a little, it would be below the storm clouds and the prevailing winds would still carry it East more then West.
Ya got a lot of work to do to prove this theory to me.  ;D
Go for it!

Paul_H

I suppose you don't believe this either but we all know it;s true because Charlie said so

Link

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Woodwalker

As dry as it has been around here, wish they would shoot off a few more of things.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Ron Wenrich

They did have some information on a PBS special about contrails and the weather.  When all the planes were grounded after 9/11, they took readings from all the weather stations and compared them to previous and later temperature data.  If I'm not mistaken, I think the temperature actually went up when there were no contrails.  Apparently contrails from the west coast make it all the way to the east coast and it does effect our weather by blocking the sun. 

So, if the shuttle were to effect anyones weather, I would think it should be raining in England about right now.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

isawlogs

I think just having that thing up on the pad ready for launching has an effect on the weather here .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ironwood

Well, I don't know about the weather being effected by the launch. I do have a story of a local friend who pilots a mid air refueler out of the 911 air wing here in the Burgh. Seems the protocol for an aborted mission and emergency landing is to "DUMP" the fuel  ASAP. He told a tale of dumping something like 20-or 30,000  :ogallons of jet fuel over Pittsburgh awhile back during an emegency situation. They are so heavily laden with fuel that landing fully loaded is risky/ impossible or something. He was told it all but evaporates before hitting the ground. YEAH right >:(

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Radar67

Weather ballons have proven that winds can completely reverse direction and can range from calm on the surface to over 200 mph in high level jet streams. I have no desire to prove my theory as it is just that, a theory based on my observations.  :)

Stew

pigman

Quote from: Frickman on July 04, 2006, 09:03:13 PM
There are still a few local people who think the moon landing was a Hollywood production.
I had some engineer friends that tried to get jobs at the Cape in the late sixties and NASA was only hiring special effect movie people. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

getoverit

I live about 100 miles north of where the shuttle lifted off from, and we didnt get a drop of rain.... we sure could use some though.. it is dry as a bone and wicked hot here !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

sawguy21

It has been like that here...until today. We had a mother of a thunder/lightening storm. It's all NASA's
fault :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

logwalker

Hey Radar,
Never quit trying to figure the way of things. Modern science contradicts itself about every 10 years or so.  BTW they gave Galileo a tough time too.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Jeff

Its well documented that washing your car also causes rain. And it never fails if Jeff goes to a different state or country the weather changes.  I bring frost and freezing temperatures to florida and uninterupted rain patterns to latin america. I'm considering selling my services to say, any drought stricken areas in New Zealand or perhaps the bahamas during this next December/January period.  You know where to contact my people when you need me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Teri

I did watch the shuttle go up yesterday. I had a pretty good view from my front yard.   8)   Then about 3 hours later it did rain here for a bit,and off and on through most of the night... ::)

Gary_C

I remember reading a report years ago about the Soviets altering the weather around Moscow when they wanted clear skies for one of their parades. There was strong suspicion they were dumping something in the clouds and then the skies would clear, but for just a few hours.

I do not believe they cared if it could be hazardous because they had their own way of dealing with protests.   smiley_hanged
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Radar67

Gary, the practice you read about is "cloud seeding". Scientist found that by dumping dry ice or silver iodide into the clouds, they could cause rain on some occasion, but mostly learned it would make the clouds less dense.

Stew

Thank You Sponsors!