iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid steer for log moving/loading

Started by Mesquite Man, December 18, 2002, 06:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite Man

I have a TimberKing 1220 manual mill.  I also have a Skat Trak skid steer (similar to a bobcat but more powerful).

What is the best way to use the Skat Trak for loading and moving logs?  I have been just pushing the logs around and up to the mill then loading by hand but this gets the logs too dirty.

I have also tried a chain or cable but that is a pain having to get in and out to hook and unhook.  Do you think forks would be my best bet?  What about skidding tongs or lifting tongs?  Will they work simply by dropping them over the log and lifting or do I have to do something manually to get them to grab?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

Curtis Seebeck

"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Kevin_H.

Sitruc,
I have a Bobcat 743 that I use to move logs around. I bought the pallet forks from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and they seem to work well for me. The one thing I would do is spring for the heaver set of the two. I have bent the forks a couple of times.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=317340&categoryId=0
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

C_Miller

forks, most definitely, without a doubt, for surely.
CJM

Fla._Deadheader

Get the forks. Tongs will be as much of a pain as a chain. When you try to straddle a log, they want to turn sideways, right MURPHY ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Weekend_Sawyer

I use the forks, I have been lookig at a grapple but the forks work real well.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

GarryW

Use the forks. I have them for my tractor as well as a chain hook on my bucket. If the logs are on the ground then I use the forks. If I have to unload the logs from the back of a truck or trailer, then I use the bucket with a chain and tongs. When I load logs, I usually use the forks. You kind of wiggle the log off and let it slide "gently"  ::) into the truck or trailer.
Garry

FeltzE

Get the heavy forks, then use them for the logs, slab, and stacked lumber too..

Merry Christmas

Eric

Weekend_Sawyer

oh yea, I forgot to mention slabwood. I put down a pair of 4x4s and then stack my slabwood on it while I am milling. then I can take it away with the forks hen I am done.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Fla._Deadheader

A small tip on slabs. When I had the Corley, I got 4 grader blade edges, the ones that wear out and everyone throws away. Took the torch and made a 90 degree on each one and then lagged them onto 2 cull RR ties. Stack the slabs in and then they are easy to band and lift with the loader forks. Keep 'em heavy, and they will slip right off the bundles.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dan-l-b

Forks work really well, I have been eyeing a fork and grapple system built by Werk Brau. The grappling portion clams shut between the forks.  I am always frustrated with log control  >:( >:( when using forks alone.  If the log isn"t centerd by weight or your working on even a slight incline, the log can be everywhere.  I fabed my own fork frame but it isn"t stout enough for a grapple.  Downsizing WBs basic concept is my goal.   ;) :-X

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Definatley forks. We have almost every means available to us to move logs. Grapples on trucks, forwarders, but the most efficient way to move logs to the mill from the yard and move lumber and otherthings is with forks. Somewhere on this forum is a thread with pictures of our drive into sawdust bucket that uses...forks!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mesquite Man

Thanks guys,

I guess forks it is!  I would really like to have a grapple system as I am a home builder and frequently have to load trash from my job sites.  Right now I rent one for my tractor when ever I need one.  Any suggestions on where to get a grapple fork for a skid steer at a reasonable price?

Sitruc
"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Paul_H

Here is the link to the pictures that Jeff mentioned.That is the way we ended up going with our loader.The slip on bucket works well.

Link to forks
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

dan-l-b

Hey Sitruc,  Here are some sites for grapples for skid steers,  www.solesbeesequipment.com   800-419-8090
www.aimattachments.com   800-803-3365
www.attaachmentsales.com    800-421-1564
www.attachmentprice.com  Fleco attachments  888-577-9695
and North American Attachments at 800-380-8808
Personally, I like the one from solesbees.  Heavily built at aroung $1700 plus shipping. Good Luck

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
frist happy Christmas and great new year ..ok now i have a grab made for my tractor FEL like this (hope link works)http://www.demfg.com/rakessk.htm
the one with the grab not the root rake type on the pic's
one good thing about this set up is the arm(top)works free of each other IE if ya log is butt ulgy :o and looks like a cone the arms will still grab where joint arms can't grip ..also of useing ya loader for other things the grab can be used for trash...forks are good too for moveing timber etc etc but for more bangs for ya bucks a grab will be a good alround tool .
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Thank You Sponsors!