iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you offer for this mill?

Started by joelmar10, July 02, 2006, 08:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelmar10

What would you offer for this Lumbermaster Mill, sight unseen?   Comes with an economy edger and a cooks cat claw sharpener.  Thinkin hard about it. 
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

WoodButcher

::) Not sure what I would give, but I do know for sure that I wouldn't give the buy it now price. Way way too many hours for that kind of money. I'm sure it could be fixed up though, but for the price of that mill and the money it would take to get it looking and running right, you could go buy a new one. Just my opinion
Tha WoodButcher  ::)
H&W Custom Cut Lumber
Ph# 980-721-7954
10800 Waxhaw Hwy,
Waxhaw NC 28173
LM2000/23 cutting up to 31" x 23'L
http://woodbutchernc.tripod.com/index.html
http://thelumberworksforums.com/index.php
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waxhaw-NC/HW-Custom-Cut-Lumber/137083101526

joelmar10

I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

WoodButcher

I think thats alot of hours on any piece of equipment that your asking $10.000 for. I run heavy equipment for a living and in my book thats alot of hours.
Tha WoodButcher ;)
H&W Custom Cut Lumber
Ph# 980-721-7954
10800 Waxhaw Hwy,
Waxhaw NC 28173
LM2000/23 cutting up to 31" x 23'L
http://woodbutchernc.tripod.com/index.html
http://thelumberworksforums.com/index.php
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waxhaw-NC/HW-Custom-Cut-Lumber/137083101526

Tom

I would be thinking hard on it too.  That Kubota has a lot of hours left if it's been taken care of.  The sharpener and edger as part of the deal, make it very attractive.

joelmar10

that's what I thought.   depending on the condition of all three, as a package it has potential.  if one had the time and inclination to get her fit to saw.  I'm thinkin safety yellow carriage on a green deck.  hmmmm  smile_belly_laugh

think a little chinese ten horse diesel would drive that edger?

Tom

I think it would take 15 on the edger, maybe 20.   

I still like green and purple, with a little yellow pin striping.  :D :D

scsmith42

If well taken care of, a Kubota diesel should be good for 5000 - 6000 hours before a rebuild is required.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

joelmar10

Very interesting ... anybody have an opinion on the brand(s)? 

Lumbermaster Bandmills, 6110 Ridge Road, Avoca, New York 14809 USA

Amish, no url, no telephone.

Might be kinda hard to tow to Illinois on steel wheels.... ;)

joelmar10

It's a Kubota 1505 38HP on that mill and only 15 hrs left on the auction.  Wish it were closer to take a look see.   :( :( :( 

Brad_S.

Even though Avoca, NY is less than 50 miles from me, I'm not familiar with Lumbermaster Mills. I can say, however, that local Amish and Mennonite engineering is, well........, unique. There are a number of Timber Harvester mills in use in the local Mennonite community and all have been modified with some strange retro-fits.
IMO, the fact that we see more close up photos of the edger than the sawmill sends up a yellow caution flag.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

highpockets

I think it is a pretty good pile of iron for 10k.  I saw a WM Mill they other day with a 4,500 hours on it and the engine seemed ok.  From what I've heard on edgers, it takes 5 h.p. per blade per inch of lumber. I am still putting a foley edger together and am figuring 20 h.p.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

gary

My mill was owned by a mennonite .  He had bought it new and I am still replacing the baling wire repairs.

Daren

The hours don't worry me, the rust does. It looks to me to have a pretty even coat of it.  I would rather have a well used piece of equipment than a neglected one. I am not at all familiar with that saw, so I cannot be any real help on it. I am just thinking in general. I would rather have a 100,000 mile "daily driver" than a 30,000 of the same year, make and model that has set in the weeds for the last 10 years. The little things can nickle and dime you to death.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quartlow

I got no clue as to what its worth, but 2588 hours is nothing in my book. I can show you Ford 5000 tractor with 13,000 hours on it thats still going strong. And it gets the worst treatment in the world, started everyday for 15 or 20 minutes just feed round bales. Thats hard on a diesel.

2 years ago I put a clutch in it for him and while it was split in two he decided to put rods and mains in it.
It did not need them. But the guy that owns it changes the oil in every thing every 100 hours
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

DanG

Since the auction expired 3 days ago, I guess all that whooping and hollering we didn't hear was Joelmar not buying the mill. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

joelmar10

jpgreen

I think that was a good call to pass. Lot's of fish in the sea..  :)

To many if's and maybes for that much money site unseen..  :o
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

joelmar10

That was my conclusion, JP.  Besides, my little girl thinks I should build my own.  Something about an inheritance?  Are they that savvy at 3yo?   :D             

jpgreen

Females at any age have a natural born instinct for assets..  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!