iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimension Show pics

Started by sawmill_john, December 18, 2002, 12:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmill_john

Here are some pictures of our fall shows!  I hope, I've been tring to get this uploading of pictures down, I sure hate instructions, I guess if I tried reading them they wouldn't be so bad!!!!!

A few of our spectators are future owners, we hope!

These were a couple of nice red oak logs, I sure wish I could have returned home with the lumber from them.

Bibbyman

One has his hands in his pockets - he's not going to help. ;)

The other is twisted up like he needs to go potty - he's not going to help.   :-/

The one in back IS going potty - so he's not going to help. :-[

Looks like some of the help I get. ;D  

Great pics.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawmill_john

a few more pictures here.

another look at Kentucky, the country side was real nice.

Talking with customers in West Virginia.

Hey how did that picture get in here? It was a nice 37 1/2 pounder from Garibaldi this fall, Heck of a fight it put up.  I just got to net it, But the adreniline was definatly pumpin'.

Tom

mmmm boy, What a sardine.  :o

Good show pictures, John

Frank_Pender

You have to show me how to send pictures, John.
Frank Pender

Tillaway

There's no nookie like chinookie. 8)  Thanks for making me homesick John.  Chrome bright... just the way I like them.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Paul_H

Good shots John,It's always good to visit another Dimension.I hope it went well down there.

Next time you should take Frank "the slabber" Pender with you. :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Geeee Whizzz, Paul.   Thank you for the invite.  We just need to get the "Slabbing Unit" in production, I reckon. ::)
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Don't mention it Frank,I'm just putting a bug in their ear ;) You'll be on tour in no time.

sawmill_john

Frank, hey were starting to set up shows for next year, if you want to go to some show you might come up and talk to Ron, you might just get a trip out of it.  As for the slaber going into production that might be a little down the road, we've got a few things in line before it, like a saw that will cut 6 x 12 using the double edgers.  As soon as we get that made its sold to a guy up in Thorne Bay AK. We're working on the specs for that over Christmas.  

Paul_H

John,
Can you tell us a little more? Are the double edgers blades 18 1/2",or will it also cut a 12x12?

Steve

John

Love that new Orange!! What's that big white jug doing riding around on the carriage? Is that new or a southern adaptation?

Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

DanG

Steve, since those pics were in Kentucky, I just figgered it was a still. ;D ::)

Great pics, John. I like the tandem trailer, over the old single axle, like mine. What are you using to roll the logs up those ramps?

If you make it to Moultrie, Ga. next October, bring Frank with you. I'd love to spend the whole 3 days up there with you guys, as well. I believe we could move a mill, or three. It'd sure be fun trying, anyway.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawmill_john

Paul, right now the machine will be powered by 3 phase elecric motors, use the standard 30" main saw, I'm not sure what edger saws we'll use the collar size will be new since the edger sahfdt and related bearing will be bigger, the is not firm yet.  At this point I think Ron wants to go with 16 1/2" double edger saws but they might have to be bigger for the extra clearence needed for the larger collar size.  All that stuff we're planning to figure out next week.  I don't think it will be available for the gas engine right now because of the edger drive limitations.

Steve,
the white tank is a water tank, that mill is equipped with a water pump that sprays water on both sides of the main saw and can also spray water on the top side of the bottom edger saw.  price for the water kit is $375.00 on a new mill, yours might be drilled for it, if not you couold do it your self.

Dan G.,
Don't go spreading rumors like that, the show was held in a dry county, luckily the fine people who were putting the show on had some adult beverages for us after the show, us guys for Oregon aren't used to the humidity down south.  I tried to make up for it in beer the first night, it sure tasted good after cutting all that poplar friday.
As for the mill our trailer use a 24volt DC motor/winch set up to roll the logs up into place, a little slow but not a whole lot to break or wear out.  Now Frank has the special hydralic loading trailer that we used to take around to shows.  the single axle trailers me made worked just as good as the newer tandem axle trailers the reason we added an axle was to try to stabilize the tralier when people tried to pull them with too light of a vehicle.  I've pulled the older single axle trailers all over and had very little to complain about most of the problems were my own making.  I sure hope to be in the Moultrie show I'll let you know ahead of time.

Frank_Pender

You know, DanG, the last time I was in Ga, I had to sneek in and out.  I was not sure if they would let any more Penders into the area or even get back out.  I was in  Augusta a couple of years ago to visit one of my student I had back in 69-70.  I got caught in a ice and snow storm and get ot stay an extra day or so. ;D  she and her husband have since moved to Jackson, Miss and into private Medical practice.
  I have one of those water jugs on the hydraulic mill it sure works fine if Idon't let it freeze. :'(  

John, I will have to come up next week and see if I can help in the design and layout of the new saw.  I sounds terrific.  I would need the gas engine for my operation unless I beginto generate my own electircity. ;)
Frank Pender

Steve

Is the water jug to keep the pitch from accumulating? I have used water on a MIghty Mite a time but whenever the blades on the MD were warming up I figured something was out of adjust. Blade lead usually. Unless there was bad timberbind of course. I use wedges for that.
I hope to be getting on a new salvage sale soon where I'm going to cant as much as possible. I may be able to use the water there. Everything has to go right to get those 8x10's out of there.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Minnesota_boy

With certain types of wood, you need something to keep the pitch from gumming up the blade.  Water is pretty cheap, and the addition of a little dish soap really keeps the pitch buildup away.  Only problem I have with that is the water freezes on the mill for half my sawing season.  If you live south of me, it may work fine for you.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

I hear of freezing being a problem of everyone up north.  I have it happen to me abou 2 days of the year. ;D

I was just wondering how difficult a water heater would be. A copper coil around the exhaust could provide a lot of heat especially if water was pumped through it.  If the coil and the tank were positioned correctly, perhaps the heat could be used to pump the water and a separately powered pump wouldn't be needed.  It would still be necessary to drain the lines and dismount the tank to a warm area every night but a heater would make it work in the day. ???

Frank_Pender

That is an excellent idea, Tom.  It sounds like a good Winter project on real rainy days, around here.  Thanks. ;)
Frank Pender

Minnesota_boy

I have more problems with the water freezing on the frame of the mill, causing the head to stop when the track roller hits a hump of ice it doesn't want to climb over.  I have had the water in my spare tank start to freeze before I needed to change tanks, but I solved that by putting it in the cab of my pickup and running the heater when I took a break.

Tom

I can see how water freezing on the frame could be a problem too.  On most Woodmizers, the frame is a pretty good sized piece of rectangular tubing.  I'll bet an enterprising fellow could come up with a way of blocking the ends off a little bit and putting a heater of some sort inside of the frame of the mill.  There may be DC electric heaters small enough to not impact the battery or alternator too bad and it could run when the head of the mill was against the transfer strip rather than all of the time  or perhaps it would take a separate battery that could be charged by parking on the transfer strip every once on a while.  

I don't know how you could get exhaust gases into the frame but that would be a cheap way to warm the rails.  There's gotta be a way somehow. :-/ :)

Minnesota_boy

It would take a lot of heating to keep the water from freezing to the fram when the temperature approaches zero. I don't think you could do it with an electric heater without killing th battery in a short time.

Jeff

We don't even saw when the temp is approaching zero. The damage can be costly. Steel changes at the molecular level at those temps. Solid steel will shatter, bearings fail, hydraulic oil becomes axle grease and sawyers become frozen solid.

We do run a heater in our hydraulic oil tank. It looks like a giant water heater element. It doesnt really heat, but helps maintain the heat in the tank over night or the weekend. This does nothing to warm the oil in the pumps or the various oil chambers on the mill. On cold mornings pumps scream and moving parts just creep until oil can be mixed from the tank.

I usually get to the mill 45 minutes before time to saw and start the hydraulics and let them run. If you try to run with the oil viscosity like peanut butter you can blow hoses and damage pumps and motors cylinder seals and valves.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ADfields

We run arctic cleer hydraulic oil in things up hear.   It's a bit more money but is less thick in the cold but works fine in heat and if we do bust a hose it's cleer so the cleenup is way less.   Most of the time just kick some snow around and get gone. ;D   It could be worth it for you as well, help your pre run time out.
Andy

Ron Wenrich

I prefer not to saw on those really cold days.  I always figured that the downtime for the broken hoses and the like ate up any profits.

I've tried both starting up before time and let the hydraulics run, and just going slow for the first 1/2 hour.  Just circulating the oil in the tank didn't really heat the oil up.  I had to work it to get it warmed up.

I could sit there and run the carriage back and forth to get things flowing.  And I could sit there and run the headblocks back and forth.  That helps to warm things up.  Then I figured if I'm doing all that, I might as well throw a log on the carriage and get something done.   ;D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

I have 250 gallons of oil in our system including tank, and two oil chambers on the mill plus oil in lines, pumps motors. The oil we use is actually a tractor automatic transmission oil. Not sure of exactly what it is, but its dang near clear and it says 52 on the barrels.

Ron is right, nothing warms up oil like running but I have tried both and I have far less troubles with that warm up period. I usually only warm up when the temps are below 30o to 35o

Jeff

I forgot to say that I get paid for the warm up period. I also make coffee and get the paper during that time. ;)

Bro. Noble

We have hydrolyc feed on our scragg mill and resaw.  I'll run the conveyors a little before putting in wood.  The biggest problem is with the resaw.  I'll set the speed at about what I think my son can handle.  I feed it and he returns cants, stacks cull boards and barky slabs on the loader forks,  inspects pallet boards and sorts the different sizes as well as stacking some of them.  Well as the oil gets warmed up,  the thing keeps going a little faster but the change is gradual enough that it doesn't detract me from my daydreaming.  Pretty soon I look over and Tom has a mean look on his face and there are chunks of wood going every which way.

They should have put the DanG speed control on his side,  can't expect me to do everything.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!