iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Floods!

Started by breederman, June 28, 2006, 11:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breederman

I hate to interupt the South American rescue mission,But we may need one over here soon!  Anyone else here in the east having problems?  We are having quite a time here.  Expecting record river levels later today,yesterday and last night alot of damage was done.  We are high and dry here,but I cant go to work as all the roads are closed and we have a state of emergency.. Two truck drivers were killed this morning in a bridge washout on interstate 88 at Unadilla.
  NEWS FLASH!!!    Interstate is now closed.  as well as all roads leading east.  looks like we are here for a while!  No tequila but have a six pack of cheap beer! :(
Together we got this !

Burlkraft

Hey Breederman,

I was just watchin' the news and it looks DanG bad out there :o :o :o

I wish you all the best...floodin' is a tough thing to deal with :-\ :-\

Get to high ground...Keep yer powder dry...

Too bad about the cheap beer...Life's too short for that smiley_alcoholic_01 smiley_alcoholic_01 :( :(
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Brad_S.

WOW! The weather guys have been issuing dire predictions here all week, but other than some passing showers, nothing panned out. Must have saved itself to dump on you.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

treecyclers

I got an email from my folks that are in Binghamton, and they're seriously considering the purchase of a submarine to go to work.
About a week straight of rain, and everything is wet to the point of saturation. The lawn is about a foot tall, and there's really no end in sight!
My brother's a cop, and HE can't get to work because of flooding!
I asked for some rain for us out here in the desert, and THE MAN delivered some the past couple days! Things are starting to green up some, but we really could use more.
When I saw the tree that went over on the White House lawn, I started drooling...have portable mill, will travel - especially for a project like that!
I do hope that everyone is ok, that those in those areas affected have your pickle suits out (that's rain gear for the non-military folk out there), and the rubber boots are leak free!
Stay warm, stay dry!
SD bath_smiley
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

asy

Send some here!

We're on "level 3 water restrictions" which means you can't use a hose, for anything at all. No garden watering, no nothing.

Next is level 4 restrictions, which means they cut the water off to the whole city between 10am and 2pm weekdays. Not quite sure what that's supposed to achieve, seems to me people will just schedule their use outside those times, still...

Hey, Maybe Murf can drop you a canoe on his way down to CR.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

J.J

hello breedman I live in GREENE     

J.J

hello breedman I live in GREENE    AND THERE four ways to get to  my place and three ways are washed out . Iwas at a funeral lastnight down in horseheads and they were telling us to get home I AM GLAD i did. down town Greene is bad people saying worse then last yr one guy said his cellar was filled last yr this yr it up in the first floor. Iam dry but im on a hill but no drive  way thats down in my dads yard  

hope all works out for you

sawguy21

asy, you are in the middle of winter. :o Whats gonna happen when summer comes? Near record temperatures here and no end in sight for a while. Hang in there easterners, flooding is hard to deal with
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mr Mom

I live in Northeast Ohio and we are as wet as you can get.
    Rain in the forcast untill atleast To the July 3 then we will see.
    We had a good thunder storm last night and all the kids ended up in bed with me and the wife and then i went to the couch to sleep no room in the bed for me.
    Cant get into the woods to get firewood that is what makes me mad.

Thanka Alot Mr Mom

twoodward15

I'm headed to western new york on saturday morning via 80 west, 15 north, liberty, 6,44 and all those roads, can't remmeber them just know how to get there.  Hopefully things dry up so I don't have any problems.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

breederman

the sun is out and looks real nice now. :)  I live 30 miles east of Binghamton all water eventually heads that way! It may get worse for folks in the Susqehanna valley,  they are letting water out of the East Sidney Dam and expect it to spill over around six o clock.  I don't belive that dam has ever spilled over since it was built in the fifties.
  51drawdoowt:  not sure of Rt 17 above Liberty, Hancock reportedly has it bad also. I don't think you can come over through Downsville and I know Walton is shut down tight right now.NO TRAVEL over there.
  J.J my buisiness partner lives over that way, on Squirrel Hill.  Police turned him around this a.m. and sent him home. 
      gonna have to start buying my own beer! :D
Together we got this !

thedeeredude

Its not good around here.  Will produce some pictures tonight.  Our local creek has made a nasty impact.  And the schuylkill is about a half hour away.  Reading's evacuating too.  And my local sawmill is kinda flooded :-X

SwampDonkey

It's not super wet here, but it seems to shower or rain a short period every other day or so. I ain't seen a week yet that it hasn't rained. It's nice and warm and humid, but not severely hot by any means. I remember a few summers back in the 80's when it was misery. As I recall over the years, our showery weather is quite typical. My father always said we never had any shortage of water or field stones. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

Just looked at the gage, 1 3/4 today. 3 1/4 since monday. I'm not getting any logging done :(. If this keeps up I'm going to be out of business  :o.
Ed K

Tom

Deerdude,

Sorry you are experiencing this flooding.   For goodness sakes, if you are in an area threatened to be flooded, please take the time now to protect the family history that can't be replaced.   Photos and old books will be decimated if caught in a flood.   Get that stuff up and go on a short vacation.

Hopefully you and Ron are high enough that  you will be safe.  As I recall Ron is on a hill.

twoodward15

Looks like it'll be tough to get up there Saturday.  I usually take the Pa tpke to the NE ext and get 80 west to 15 north, getting off at the liberty exit into Wellsboro taking that through watrous to 6 ( I think) into Coudersport and hanging a right and then a left onto 44 to Ceres into portville and olean.  I take 17 to 353 to 39, but there's nothing but overflowing streams it seems.  Maybe I won't go and I'll have fun at home for the week.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

crtreedude

Sounds pretty rough up here - we get about 10 inches of rain a month, but we are pretty used to it. Just for Jeff and Tammy, it has REALLY been raining since they got here. Must be all their fault.

My folks south of Rochester NY - better see if they are building an Ark or something...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Brad_S.

Not to worry, Fred. It's all happening to the east around Binghamton. Here in Rochchacha we're getting sporadic bursts of much welcomed rain.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

crtreedude

Rochchacha! I haven't heard that in a while!

Thanks for the on the spot weather report.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ron Wenrich

I've had 13 1/2" of rain since Saturday.  Sunday was an even 6"  and we had 3 1/2" just last night.  Creeks are high, but we started with some pretty dry ground.  A lot of the rain soaked in, at first.

A lot of the roads are flooded, that are close to creeks.  The local creek will be about 8' above flood stage.  I am well above the flood areas, but my basement doesn't know that.  Too boot, I have found that my roof also leaks.   >:(  There are lots of flooded basements.

On TV, they showed how bad this one is as compared to other floods.  Harrisburg is expected to crest at about 20'.  It sits right on the Susquehanna and is about 1 mile wide.  There are some mandatory evacuations. 

Our worst flood was in 1972 when hurricane Agnes came through and stalled.  Dumped something like 20" of rain in 2 days on soggy ground.  The Susquehanna crested at about 35'.  My grandparents lost their house in that flood, and it took out all the covered bridges in the area. 

As long as we don't get another heavy storm like this one, we'll be OK.  But, the skeeters are going to get bad and we'll be baling our grass.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Captain

Well, we're not as bad THIS time, but I'm not getting ANY sawing done,  and my hay run to Vermont is getting put off another week.

Captain

thedeeredude

Well, thanks Tom.  Luckily Im on high ground.  The water just runs down the street.  But my friend is in some deep water.  And it is a very historic house and mill.  Im concerned

thecfarm

We just left Lancaster County,Pa last week.I guess we got back to Maine just in time.Sorry to hear that you all have too much rain.Keep us all posted.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Engineer

I got lucky and managed to put in my new septic system in between storms, but now the whole things a big pile of mud.  Literally.  I mowed the lawn last night, it's the first mowing in three weeks.   :-\

Roxie

Quote from: thecfarm on June 28, 2006, 07:55:03 PM
We just left Lancaster County,Pa last week.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!  You were within a few miles of us!!  You probably passed Cowboy Bob on Route 30 headed to the auction in New Holland!  We could have gotten together for a cup a coffee and we could have shown you REAL Amish!  If you're down this way again, let us know! 

The official weather for Chester County, PA is 15" of rain since Friday night.  It took some of our workers almost 3 hours to get to work this morning because of flooding and detours.  It's really bad and because of the amount of rain north of us, it's predicted to be worse along the Susquennha tonight.  They are opening all the gates at Conowingo Dam and will probably evacuate Port Deposit Maryland. 
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!