iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dos por Ocho por Dose Metros

Started by Fla._Deadheader, June 23, 2006, 09:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Man am I bushed.  smiley_sleeping

Been sawing 40' long 2 X 8's, outta Guayabo. That stuff is pretty DanG heavy. Made up a whole one side of track for the Peterson, being as how I hadda put all 4 sections together of the Aluminum track for the other side of the log.

Maybe I can remember the Camera for my next trip back to the logs, what's left of 'em.  ::) ;D ;D

Gotta figger out how to get one slab up on top of the other, to get the last 6--2 X's out of it. Then, gotta figger a way to jack up the other slab to get the last 10 or so 2 Xs out of it.  Ain't sawin FUN  ::) ::)  ??? ??? ??? :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodbeard

Well, now I fell pretty silly for whining about having to saw my puny gringo logs on a manual mill. :D
Please do remember the camera, I'd love to see how you have this rigged up. I'm really happy things are working out for you and the Peterson down there.  :)

Roxie

What Woodbeard said!!  Camera!!   8) 8)
Say when

iain

Bet your still glad you moved down though  ;D

and i may lay a doller or two that you dont want to go back ;)

iain

hiya

iain, I think you said it right. I envy Harold, If I was a few years younger I would be knocking on his door asking to help carry that wood.
Richard
RichardinMd.

iain

If i'm still chugging along at half of Harold's pace when i get to his age i'll be a happy bunny

iain

Fla._Deadheader

There's always room for an extra offbearer.  8)

One thing I do is, let the guys run the mill to make a few boards. Talk about getting their interest up  :o :o

Nearly everyone of them has worked harder and smarter, after I let them cut some wood.

The homemade tracks are getting out of line, on this one log. I really have to lean into the push-pull. I stopped a little4 before 3 the other day. Guys wanted to know why ???  I let them have a turn at pushing and pulling , with the engine off. One guy only made it about 2'. Ya otter see the looks I got. Then they both said, "Usted es MAS Fuerte".  You are very strong.  :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Radar67

Are you sure they was talking bout your stature, or was they talking bout your doderant.  :D ;)

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Fla._Deadheader

I WAS drenched from sweat and rain.  8) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

UNCLEBUCK

Keep up the good work Harold , that sounds like some awesome lumber . Remember a aspirin a day keeps the heart attacks away or atleast the aches and pains  splitwood_smiley  mucho gusto !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Fla._Deadheader

Finished the long stuff. Photos in the camera. No way to get them out.  ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

asy

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 01, 2006, 07:29:58 PM

Finished the long stuff. Photos in the camera. No way to get them out.  ::) ::) ::)

Is there some sort of Camera Virus in Costa Rica??? 

They seem to TRAP photos in them, nevertobeseenagain...

What do you do with inquiring minds in CR?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Fla._Deadheader

Asy, my computer picked up a bad virus. Had the computer fixed  ::) ::) ::), for the worst. Now, I have no download files to extract the photos with, or, any way to create the photo sizes to post them. That was the main problem when J & T were here, besides the lightning storm that tried to wreck the Internet connection with Racsa.

Reina just went histerical from a snake on the back porch. Guess we could letcha buddy up with her for questions and histeria  ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Roxie

:D :D :D

Sooooooooo, a cow walking through the kitchen and leaving a calling card does not phase her, but she gets upset when snakes visit the back porch.

I hope your computer gets fixed soon because I sure would like to see those 40' boards and how ya handle em! 
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

Jeff got photos. He might post, IF he can find a connection. They get home Monday night, real late.  ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

asy

I don't get hysterical from snakes.

Don't talk about spiders though...  ::)

Gotta admit, I don't much like venomous snakes, but the python kinds are just fine. Preferably under 6ft long, though.

you can keep yer cow calling cards, though.

woodbeard

QuoteAsy, my computer picked up a bad virus.

Harold, tell yer computer not to drink the water down there.  :D

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

asy

Ooh, a sick computer, best be careful in case it starts spitting chips.

Roxie

If you feed it dry crackers on byte at a time, it helps with the nausea. :P
Say when

Jeff

I got some pictures here of some latin american sawmill cutting 40 foot timber. I cant read spanish, but after a few days in Costa Rica I know what written spanish looks like, and I see this thread title is in some sort of spanish/pigeon toed english, so I'm posting these photos here.  ;D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

In Costa Rica they use wood for all kinds of things. Even custom made Peterson sawmill track extensions.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Hmmm.  They look just like 20ft boards, only longer. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

Quote from: DanG on July 06, 2006, 12:07:44 AM
Hmmm.  They look just like 20ft boards, only longer. ;D

Yeah, oddly enough, TWICE as long!

UNCLEBUCK

Nice looking lumber Harold , you know how to get'er done anywhere ,anytime !  splitwood_smiley
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Fla._Deadheader

Only problem is, NOW, it's hard to say I can't cut longer stuff, up to 40' logs.  ::) ::) ::)

This was a LOT worse than cutting shorter stuff. Tension was compounded and very difficult to relieve. Lumber is EXTREMELY heavy. Takes 3 guys to move each piece, and they constantly bang the track. That in itself is a problem, being as how we could not get the 4 X 4's under the logs. Had to cut them short and use wooden wedges driven into the ground on both sides of both tracks, to keep them somewhat in line.

MUUCHO problems.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

I'm curious, as to why the lumber needs to be 40' long?   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Max sawdust

Me too..
What do you use a 40 foot 2x4 for ???
Beside mill track extensions :D
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Tom

There was a time in this city when lumber was cut to lengths to reach from  here to there.   When you take down old multi-story buildings you find the framework is single length sticks that go from the sills to the roof.   It's called "Balloon framing".

There are still long beams cut, from time to time, for wood bridges and warehouses.

A chicken farmer will take a 1x4 as long as he can get.    :D   When they put it on the chicken house for roof lathe, they don't want to be hauling stuff from the ground, they want to cover some trusses.

From experience, I know that they will nail 1x4's together to make 2x4's and larger stuff too.  Chicken farmers are a different breed. :)

Fla._Deadheader

Anybody in the Custom Sawing business has been asked, " How long can you cut my lumber"???

If you say 16', they beg for 18'. If you say 18', they beg for 20'.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

These pieces are for the construction of a new gymnasium. I hope to get some photos from time to time, and TRY to post updates.
   First, it is ridiculed;

asy

Quote from: beenthere on July 08, 2006, 11:51:24 PM
I'm curious, as to why the lumber needs to be 40' long?   ???

Y'all missed the point.

It's like why people climb mount Everest..

BECAUSE HE CAN!

Thank You Sponsors!